F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy ECO Stop/Start disable - Applicable to cars without 2nd battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I can always just plug it in for long enough to wash underneath...

Old 07-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Blimey, been a long time since I have seen this thread!

Mine has been unplugged for just over a year now, and I can report no errors whatsoever. I did plug it back in just to check the functionality, and the ECO system worked a treat

I'm not sure if the spoiler is a totally unrelated issue as it has nothing to do with ECO mode.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Clarification about Eco button ...

Originally Posted by Tel
Blimey, been a long time since I have seen this thread!

Mine has been unplugged for just over a year now, and I can report no errors whatsoever. I did plug it back in just to check the functionality, and the ECO system worked a treat

I'm not sure if the spoiler is a totally unrelated issue as it has nothing to do with ECO mode.
Hi guys ....
I personally think it's ridiculous for such a fauture of a supercharged eight cylinder vehicle. I thought this feature was an option one can choose whether to use it or not, either activate the feature for miniscule gas savings or simply keep the feature off . if I don't want this feature active can't one simply ask the Jaguar service dept to shut it off, disabling this specific feature. No ... ?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hi guys ....
I personally think it's ridiculous for such a fauture of a supercharged eight cylinder vehicle. I thought this feature was an option one can choose whether to use it or not, either activate the feature for miniscule gas savings or simply keep the feature off . if I don't want this feature active can't one simply ask the Jaguar service dept to shut it off, disabling this specific feature. No ... ?
You can ask, but the answer will be "sorry we can't do that"

Technically they can, the option is there in the SDD diagnostic system, but they are not allowed to change it, it's in a locked part of the software, need a password from HQ to do it. There are ways around it but most dealers won't risk the potential backlash from JLR for breaking rules.

The following users liked this post:
The_Ikon (01-20-2022)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The car was certified w/ the system by various regulatory agencies in the US, EU, and other places. It was necessary for JLR to meet Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements, and allows the model to escape expensive sanctions like a "gas guzzler tax" added on to the sticker price.

If JLR or it's representatives (dealers) participated in any way in disabling the system, it would be a clear violation of law and similar in some respects to what VW did on a massive scale by cheating on emissions testing.

My C7 has 3 such systems that allowed it to contribute to GM CAFE requirements.

1) Engine start-stop,
2)In "Economy" mode at low rpms, it turns itself into a V4,
3) In the 7MT, if you shift out of 1st before 18 mph (who would do that ;-)), 2nd and 3rd are locked out, and it shifts to 4th gear.

All of the above are easily defeatable, and I never see any these features unless I try to produce them.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-21-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
3) In the 7MT, if you shift out of 1st before 18 mph , 2nd and 3rd are locked out, and it shifts to 4th gear.
I couldn't think of any more obnoxious feature short of car kicking you in the ***** every time you start it. What were they thinking?!

On F-type I now always turn start&stop off via button. I press start, I press disable as part of starting routine. I just don't care about fuel economy and starting up isn't that smooth and seamless (I can feel it).

Ichi Ban (04-03-2024)
Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Corvette has had 1st to 4th lockout for a long time. It is a part of attaining their mpg goal. It is electronic and tuners have done the override for many years. On the C6 there was an aftermarket plug that you could attach to the cable at the transmission that would delete it without getting a fault code. It was truly annoying until I had it tuned out. Having to remember to push Auto-Stop on my Jaguar is just as annoying.
Larry

Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I couldn't think of any more obnoxious feature short of car kicking you in the ***** every time you start it. What were they thinking?!

On F-type I now always turn start&stop off via button. I press start, I press disable as part of starting routine. I just don't care about fuel economy and starting up isn't that smooth and seamless (I can feel it).
What were they thinking? . . . uh, let's see . . . think, "how can I make my nearly 500 HP and 650 HP engines fit into my CAFE mandates and qualify them without an expensive "gas guzzler tax" added to MSRP by law, all the while making it easy for the driver to never see said systems if they so choose." Brilliant!

I can't imagine anyone having an issue w/ it since I never see it--not even once in 3 different Corvettes over the years, unless I purposely tried to make it happen. I never shift out of 1st before 18 mph. I felt the same about Eco-mode in the F-Type . . . yawn, no big deal.

Jeez, the trivial little things that bother some folks just boggles my mind. Meanwhile, my hat's off to all the manufacturers, who've overcome major technological hurdles and figured out ways to keep giving us phenomenal high performance engines while maintaining compliance with important environmental mandates.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-22-2016 at 09:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
mikelanzetta (07-22-2016), Misujerr (03-29-2017)
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougrobling
I did this 6 moths ago with no issues.
But I did notice that I can also no longer manually raise and lower the spoiler...
It still comes up and goes down at speed, but the console switch does nothing.

This is not a big deal to me, but I was wondering if others had seen the same...?
My ECO mode is disabled and the spoiler raises/lowers manually for me. Mine is a vert and I think I remember threads mentioning some restriction on manual use of spoiler on coupes.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I had enough of the start/stop being on even in Dynamic Mode + Sport + Manual gears. Let alone that it would remember Dynamic Mode but not Start/Stop.

Opened up the trunk, and unplugged the switch. It was a bit hard to get the switch out but I'm so glad I did. Should have done this many months ago.

Thank you!

Here's a pic of mine, the switch is in the bottom right.

The following 2 users liked this post by pistol:
lsbrodsky (07-23-2016), Smoke Em (07-22-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tel
Discussion within another thread, thought I would give it its own thread so all can benefit.

1. Remove battery liner in rear boot.
2. Remove boot (trunk) liner
3. Locate control module bottom right hand side - as you look in the boot
4. Remove the below plug and secure back with a Ty-wrap

5. Put the liners back in

When re-starting your car, the ECO button will illuminate during the system checks for a few seconds and then extinguish.

ECO Stop/Start will no longer function.
No errors are flagged on the display unless you press the ECO button, and it will show that ECO Stop/Start is unavailable.

ENJOY!
Tel, the 2017 F Pace looks completely different. Any ideas or suggestions on how to disconnect the start / stop?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Ichi Ban (04-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 v6 convertible in south africa,

I don't even have the eco switch in my car - the spoiler button is just twice the size. Have to admit I was super chuffed to discover that when I got the car. Anyone else have this?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you guys plug it back in when taking it in for dealer service? Wondering if they would void any part of your warranty if they noticed you fiddled around...

Old 03-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
Do you guys plug it back in when taking it in for dealer service? Wondering if they would void any part of your warranty if they noticed you fiddled around...
yes. And then on the way to the dealer it auto-shuts off and my heart stops. Then I realize what is going on. I hate CAFE :-)

Old 03-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
Nope, has remained cable tied up and out of the way for nearly two years now...one service and plenty of the usual warranty/TSB's etc, and no concerns/complaints.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Now could someone figure out how to latch on the loud exhaust?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spesh
Tel, the 2017 F Pace looks completely different. Any ideas or suggestions on how to disconnect the start / stop?
my 2017 looks exactly like this. unplug the black connector and you're good to go

edit: nevermind, younsaid F Pace...this subforum is for the F Type...

Last edited by supercat'dXKR; 03-21-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by owentb
I have a 2014 v6 convertible in south africa,

I don't even have the eco switch in my car - the spoiler button is just twice the size. Have to admit I was super chuffed to discover that when I got the car. Anyone else have this?
Now that's interesting...

Yes there is a switch assembly without the ECO button.

I wonder if having the button simply missing (i.e. not plugged in) will disable the stop-start...

Easy ECO Stop/Start disable - Applicable to cars without 2nd battery-console-switches.jpg

Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Now that's interesting...

Yes there is a switch assembly without the ECO button.

I wonder if having the button simply missing (i.e. not plugged in) will disable the stop-start...

Attachment 144419
I wouldn't think that would be the case. These switches are momentary contact switches, not latching or single throw, so the actual on-off switching is done elsewhere. I believe the console switch merely triggers the actual switching relay with an electric pulse.

Quick Reply: Easy ECO Stop/Start disable - Applicable to cars without 2nd battery