F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every F-Type has a story - why did you buy *yours*

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Every F-Type has a story - why did you buy *yours*

Having read the forums for a long time, one of my favorite things to read is the story behind the story.

I had no idea I even wanted an F-Type until I looked outside my normal muscle car vision cone. I had made the decision to buy some type of fast convertible and replace my sport bike fix, but was focused on an American V8. I hated the interiors and couldn't find anything in a vert that would get me past it. On a flyer, I drove a "used" white R AWD from the loaner pool at my local jag dealer.. But.. came back from the test drive wanting more rear movement and not sure of the white. Interior was good tho.. lol..

While there a FireSand coupe pulled in and I fell in lust with the color. Then I really started researching and found all the V8 reviews on YouTube. "Too much power", smoking tires, and drifting corners was what I needed to see. Are you kidding me? That is THE CAR! The dealer didn't help themselves when their quote for the R was close to MSRP, so I started looking outside the area.

I looked hard and may have found the last loaded firesand V8S any CA dealer had on the lot. (It was a MY15 in Sept16). Apparently it's not as popular a color as I think it should be. Lol.. Feel very fortunate to find my V8 within 100 miles at a great price. We did the deal over the phone, drove down with a buddy, did the paperwork in 30 minutes and smiled all the way home.

Last edited by DirtyAir; 01-15-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default My story is simple ....

Back when I was deciding on a new car, I honestly thought I would get a new Porsche 911 GTS hardtop. Its a gorgeous car and the last of the naturally aspirated engine by Porsche.
Then I stumbled onto the Jaguar F Type coupe. My reaction was, WOW ... HOT RIDE !!!
The rest is history.

The following users liked this post:
DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I used to have a BMW Z4M roadster with an Inline 6 engine. BMW bought it back because it did not work properly. I did enjoy the car but the looks were not that great.

I always had the desire to get a proper 2-seat sports car with a V8. Nothing was interesting. I had a Range Rover Sport and dropped it off to be serviced. Went into the show room and was captivated by the F-Type. It was perfect. It checked the following boxes:

1) Rag-top
2) Engine in the front
3) V8
4) RWD
5) 2-seater

I was set and placed my order for a 2015. I'm so glad I did because after 2015 all the V8's were AWD. I did not want an AWD.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Congratulations on your f type. Post some photos.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

My brother and I had slayed a dragon in court that had been haunting us for 8 years. (Canada Revenue Agency). I saw an F-Type in London, England and loved it. I went to the closest dealer the next week and drove an R. I took my wife and we went back and I drove it again. I looked at her and said, this is a lot of money. If you think I'm crazy, we'll go back to the dealership and go home and I'll never mention it again. She said, "You've been through hell, you've always wanted a car like this. You've been studying sports cars for years. I can see the smile on your face when you step on the gas. You should buy it. You deserve it."
I bought it on the spot. I was so nervous about spending that much money on a car, I felt sick for about a week. Now, I'm extremely glad I got it.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

A friend put me on to a gorgeous 2012 DB9 coupe. After considering it and in particular the dated interior (which looked nowhere near as good as the XKR I had at the time and which I was perfectly happy with), I said "why would I buy that if I could get a new F Type for less".

3 weeks later I was driving my new F Type, in the colour I always wanted.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Had the chance to drive one of the four prototype "R" coupes in the US just as the convertible was being launched. 2.5 years later here I am with a coupe. That first drive in the "R" left a lasting impression on me.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2017, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Got taken by looks, went to early preview at dealer which was a Firesand V8 and couldn't forget it. But I thought the price was too high. I was driving a "12 SLK55 which I liked but never really got behind the looks. A year later a deal came up and couldn't resist as the looks never left my mind, loaded SV6 conv. in color and interior I wanted!

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 02:22 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

After 10 years with my MY06 Infiniti G35 I decided it was time to upgrade. I was looking at purchasing a Porsche Cayman S and just hadn't got around to going to the Porsche dealer. One beautiful San Francisco day, I was driving home from work on the 101 and a black F-Type S passed me on the highway at WOT. It sounded amazing, looked amazing. I was in love. A week later, I stopped by the Jaguar dealership and walked out with an F-Type R on order.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Had been looking for a new luxury sports car for at least five years, but couldn't find one I liked that came with an MT. Fell in love with the looks of the F-Type as soon as it was announced and spent the next 18 months sending multiple nastygrams to JNA Customer Service chiding them for calling the F-Type a sports car while not offering an MT. Order was placed as soon as they announced the introduction of the MT (Nov. 2014). Took delivery on Independence Day, 2015.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

In 1971 I was walking to school on a crisp, sunny winter morning in Ohio and a beautiful E Type Coupe drove past me. I knew that one day I would have a car as beautiful. Well, many years and cars later, I am now driving a beautiful Rhodium Silver F Type R.

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

My fun car has been a two-seater since my C6 supercharged Corvette. Sold that to pay for my daughter's wedding. When I was back in the market again, I test drove a Cayman and decided to lease a Cayman S, ordered to my specs. But, I never really loved the car. The handling was superb, but it was underpowered and uncomfortable as a GT car.
I started looking around and test driving for its ultimate replacement. When I got around to Jaguar, I loved the looks, the fit and finish, and the power. Even better, Firesand was a replacement for my Atomic Orange Metallic Vette, a color I had loved. The Jag was at the top of my short list.
By then I was frequenting this forum and a dealer in SC was recommended. They turned out to also be a Porsche dealer. I talked with them and they worked out a sweet deal, bringing in a 2016 Firesand R from another dealer, taking my Porsche early. Voila!
Larry

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Really great stories so far, thank you.

I'm impressed so many had the willpower to wait for *your* car. From first test drive to pick up was less than two weeks for me. Like to think I would have waited for a Firesand to show up, but probably would have grabbed the first V8S I found. While I love the look (and color), the seat time is where life gets good.

Btw.. Thank you jaguny. It's pretty much a firesand with black tornados. Fairly boring for this crowd. . I'm getting ready to "fix" the badging when the weather warms up. I'll post some pics in that thread for sure.

Last edited by DirtyAir; 01-16-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

someone made me an offer on one of my classic cars that i couldn't refuse so there was an empty space in my garage. In the meantime, I really enjoyed driving our SLK350 MB but it was a bit short on performance for me so I figured I'd upgrade to another 2 seat sportscar with more power.

I looked at Porsche, and the BMW M4 and Z4 and the SLK55AMG before taking a gander at the F type.....it didn't take long to realize that the Jaguar offered far more bang for the buck than all the others and I also thought it was the nicest looking by far.

Like enfield, I wanted a 2 seater convertible that had over 400hp and was RWD. Looking at the dealer's inventory, there were new 2016's, a couple of leftover 2015's and a used 2014 V8S with 6,800 miles and was CPA with the warranty, etc. The V8S was also a color scheme I really liked (I really wanted a red interior) and had every option available except a heated windshield (not really needed on a summer car) and lighted sills and was cheaper than a new 2016 V6S.....decision made!

Dave

Just like

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Saw one (Firesand V6S) on the JLR Cotswold test route while driving to relatives for Christmas 2013 and wanted it.

Realised that the base model coupe with minimal extras (Parking Pack and Visibility Pack) ticked all the boxes I really cared about, and ordered in summer 2014.

Delivery on the morning of my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary, so had to hide it from my Father lest my Mother throttle me.

Subsequently added Gyrodynes, alloy shifter paddles, the fatter steering wheel, and stainless/rubber pedals.

Next, MPSS all round...

DirtyAir (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

got an FType V6S. crazy guy crashed into and totaled it.
waited a year and got the FType again...an R this time.
loving every second of it.
ive always felt the ftype was meant to be driven by me and i was made to drive one. dramatic, i know, but that's how much i love my ftype.
i've named him "Loki". as in the norse god, because a) the guy who plays Loki was in the 'good to be bad' ad. and b) my wife's lexus is named Thor, and well my jag is a bit more evil!
heheh

The following 2 users liked this post by diablomkii:
DirtyAir (01-16-2017), F-TypeRookie (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My story started in 2014 when I went to a Cars and Coffee event at Ferrari Palm Beach to get my new key for the F430 reprogrammed (dealer only option). I was browsing the Maserati dealer that joins the Ferrari dealer and happened to ask the sales guy if there was a Jaguar dealer nearby. He said one was just a few blocks away. After I got my Ferrari back my wife and I took a ride to the Jag dealer. They had a really nice lunar grey F Type S V8 on the showroom on sale. I asked if they had a demo car to test drive. They did, I did, and was hooked. The problem was I wasn't ready to give up my Vette or the F430 yet.

Fast forward to 2016 and yet another Cars and Coffee event (local this time) and on the way home my wife suggests we go to the Jaguar dealer in Mobile, AL. We roll in with the Vette and the salesman comes out to greet us. I asked if they had any F Type R convertibles in stock. They did not but had a coupe they were using as a demo. I drove it and immediately knew I had to have one but it had to be a convertible.

I contacted the rep I dealt with at Jaguar Palm Beach and worked a deal on my current F Type R convertible. I did a key for key swap with the F430. The F430 was becoming an issue with maintenance as there is only one mechanic in my area and he's 1.5 hours away and extremely busy. With the sticker price of the Jag plus the savings in not paying sales tax, I got what I could have gotten for the F430 if I sold it myself. Now I have a 5 year warranty and 5 year service for free.

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Well i had an e39 M5 for 9 years and i loved it, spent a lot of money on it, wheels, exhaust, brakes, suspension etc
But i got to the point where it was going to cost me a lot of money for more power, so started looking for something else.
I was then left some money just over 2 years ago so i payed off my mortgage and started looking in earnest for my next car, i looked at gtr's, 2nd hand ferraris, lambos, aston martins etc but nothing really floated my boat until i heard that Jag were bringing a coupe version of the f type out.
I test drove the v8s and was hooked, ordered my coupe R in firesand and didnt even test drive one until i drove my own.
I love it, it does everything any of those other cars can do.

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Was looking to get away from suvs (BMW x5). Ordered a BMW 550xi for euro pickup in 2011. Cancelled order, and bought an XF supercharged (470 hp). Best looking sedan styled like a coupe at the time with serious power and well balanced steering. As soon as f type came out I was smitten. When picking up my wife's new Landrover saw my first f type in person. Wife knew I was done with other cars. New f type R this April. Wife thankfully said make sure you get one you want, so V8 it was.

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
bought an XF supercharged (470 hp). Best looking sedan styled like a coupe at the time with serious power and well balanced steering. As soon as f type came out I was smitten
Same here but had to take the long route to get there. Bought a like new 2012 XF (only 325 miles on it demo) and was in love. I had it for a couple years but after I saw the F Type I went straight to a dealer and test drove it. I immediately knew that was my next car. Unfortunately the work truck I had at the time was constantly breaking down and forced me to drive my XF to work way more than I liked. I work outside and sometimes all the elements get in the truck/car with me afterwards, lol. So I had to upgrade my work truck first and I am now a proud owner of this wonderful vehicle!

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)