Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type OR C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Type OR C7

Howdy, all.

My wife is pondering the purchase of either an 2015 F-Type V-6 or a 2016 C7 3LT. She has had 2 previous C6's (3LT) but likes the "cuteness" of the Shaguar. We have a decent grasp of the expectations with the vette but absolutely no idea of what to expect in terms of the maintenance costs, etc for owning and operating an F-Type.

It is important to note that she drives around 30k miles per year...DD...with most of that being toll roads but much up it being cooped up in the city, as well. Any thoughts on how the two compare in the real world and what the true costs of ownership with the F-Type might look like?

Notice that I didnt call this thread a VS (verses) thread....not interested in a competitive debate. I m merely looking for real world comparison input for us to me a relatively knowledgeable decision.

There are ample other resources for collating data. Im looking for opinions and insight.

Thanks in advance.

Happy trails.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

First off welcome to the group. I would say the F type might cost slightly more in maintenance cost than the Vette but its by no means bad. The performance with the C7 will defiantly be better than the F Type V6 but the V6 is by no means a slouch. I have the V6 S and its been rock solid reliable, very comfortable, and a good all around performer. The C7 is probably the best performance bargain there is however I feel like you would just be another Corvette at the light. Maybe its just me but Corvettes are like Mustangs in that there everywhere. I've been driving my F Type V6 for over a year now and have only seen one other F Type on the roads in that time. It gets constant and sometimes to much attention. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:20 AM

Thank you VERY much for sharing your experience with me.

Yeah, she is in something of a "been there, done that" mind set with the vette. She knows she liked the C6's that she has had and thinks she'd like the C7.

But her eye keeps getting drawn to the Jag.

Its the unknown ongoing costs of ownership that give us (her) pause.

We only have one Jaguar dealership in our area...about an hour away in Austin.

I just collect information and give it to her to decide on....I am keeping myself WAY out of this decision.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

My V8 is a daily driver and is a perfectly comfortable ride for that.

The two drawbacks for the Jag are fewer dealers and your wife will get lots of attention.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
Burt Gummer (07-11-2016), jetsetter883 (03-19-2021)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-gone-c7-here-163957/page3/#post1476758

See that thread. I commented on why I sold my c7 in favor of the f type and how I view some of the differences.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 AM

THANK YOU!!!!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

This may or may not help but here are just a few thoughts:

Your wife has a "great" eye as the Jaguar F-Type is uniquely (as in there are few cars on the road which are similar) stunning. As a, mostly, visual person (I'm an institutional commodity broker but my heart is, has been, and always will be in the arts) the F-Type never grows old and provides me with a big smile on my face each and everyday. I fell instantly in lust the second I laid eyes on it. I tell people that it drives even better than it looks (and that's saying something).

Lastly, if you can afford either car you can certainly afford whatever costs come down the line...and this is not your father's Jaguar to be sure (in other words, things have really improved dramatically).

Lots of luck, and to your wife. We'll see you - or her - back here in the future. That's my professional analysis (although I could be wrong).

Best regards,
RJ52

The following users liked this post:
F-TypeRookie (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I am assuming that for the driving your wife does she will never realize the full potential in either car, and will be happy with either. On paper the C7 is a better performing car but we rarely make decisions based on logic, it's nearly always based on emotion.

Have your wife look at and drive both and then make her decision.

As a C2 owner I tried to steer my wife down the path of a C7 but she wanted nothing to do with it and had to have the F-Type. Now that we own one I can see why she was so adamant but then again, that statement in itself is driven by emotion and not logic. Want the best track car go Cayman GT4, best bang for the buck Mustang, Corvette or Camaro.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Only one thing I can add. I was in the market for a C7 or an F-Type. I loved my C6 and had upgraded the interior with a bunch of DSVettes leather and Alcantara, so it was premium. But, I could not get over how ugly the C7 is compared to the C6 and especially the Jag. I think the Jag just has a look and style that keeps you smiling. The C7 looks like GM tried to emulate Italian supercars, not for me.
Larry

Old 06-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

In general, you can expect any repairs to be a little more expensive and likely take longer than a C7. As you mentioned, most locations have very few Jaguar dealers around, which also means there is a smaller surplus of parts in general compared to Chevrolet dealerships.

However, I would say that 90% of the time, car purchases are not logical ones. No one "needs" a F-Type or a C7 when a Kia will get you to and from work. They are emotional purchases. Drive both cars and see which one provides that emotional connection, then get it.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

both extremely nice machines. I fall in favor of the F-type. lovely looks, proportions, interior design, fit and finish...performance competitive with the world's best.

high class problem. have fun in your decision making!!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Coming from a C6 to the F-V8 they have some similarities...the looks (from others), the sportiness, rolling in and out of the seat, a sense of community with other owners, great sounds, etc.

I find the V8Jag to be a little less refined in terms of road manners - However, I think the V6 fixes those problems as it is less of of a pig (weight wise) and is better balanced.

I think reliability is about the same between the two (no problems) but you may need to wait for parts to be shipped from overseas on the Jag.

Only downside I see to the Jag is that the "support network" is not as large or robust as the vette family. It will be a little harder to find the tires you want or to find an aftermarket accessory. In the US, they sell about 400+/- F-types a month compared to the 3,000+/- vettes a month so there is just "more" stuff and more information for the vette.

Oh, one more downside to the F-type is storage. The coupe has just enough...the convertible has none.

Last edited by bk000; 06-29-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Foosh?

He would be the one to ask.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
He would be the one to ask.
I doubt he's had his C7 long enough to understand the maintenance costs just yet (which is what the OP is asking).

Old 06-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4ever
Thank you VERY much for sharing your experience with me.

Yeah, she is in something of a "been there, done that" mind set with the vette. She knows she liked the C6's that she has had and thinks she'd like the C7.

But her eye keeps getting drawn to the Jag.

Its the unknown ongoing costs of ownership that give us (her) pause.

We only have one Jaguar dealership in our area...about an hour away in Austin.

I just collect information and give it to her to decide on....I am keeping myself WAY out of this decision.
I was just in that boat. I had my eye on a C7, Z06 though, but went wth the F-type instead. As stated, just to many around now.
Not sure of your location but if Austin is an hour away another hour will get you to San Antonio and they have a great dealership there. Ask for Jason. He took good care of us and is very knowledgable

Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

If you get a 2016 you'll get scheduled maintenance and a longer warranty. For me, that tipped the scales.

Last edited by lizzardo; 06-29-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Get the extended warranty ( bargain hard, they charge double what it costs them), and you're problem is solved.
With the exception of the extra attention your wife will get, I'd recommend the jag. It looks better, had a more premium feel, and a more interesting personality.
Also, I'm of the opinion that it's better to try new things in life.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Get the extended warranty ( bargain hard, they charge double what it costs them), and you're problem is solved.
With the exception of the extra attention your wife will get, I'd recommend the jag. It looks better, had a more premium feel, and a more interesting personality.
Also, I'm of the opinion that it's better to try new things in life.
This could be a real issue to think about.

The Jag will get her an enormous amount of attention. If you're comfortable with your wife being moved to engage in constant conversation about her car, then go Jag.

Listen to me when I say I can't go ANYWHERE without someone trying to force me into conversation about my car. When you're not in the mood, it gets very tiresome. More than you can even imagine unless you own one. I mean like driving or at stoplights, people speed forward or hang back to see the car closer and then look to see whose driving it. Literally, when a passenger sees my car next to them at a light, they will make the driver of their car look over and then start pointing. If you then make the mistake of making eye contact, they will roll down the window to ask questions or give you a thumbs up. Other people begin to start feeling like papparazzi and you start to do things like avoid driving without dark glasses on, or purposely take routes that are less populated. It's very strange. I appreciate people that acknowledge and gawk at my car but it just never ends. I can only imagine a woman with an F, she will definitely start to feel like a celebrity in the car. Vettes, however, dime a dozen, I never even look twice at them. As invisible as a Prius in California to me. In '08, I had a Bentley GT Continental. Back in '08 they were still expensive, rare and very exclusive. I honestly can't say the Bentley got any more attention than this F and the Bentley sold for twice the money. Have her be prepared...The attention will be like her driving a 66 split window Vette, not a new one.

If I were married, I personally wouldn't want my wife driving a new Vette as a DD though unless perhaps it was a classic. The macho muscle car wifey thing. Dunno...Seems corny and rural.

For sub $100K, I'd like to see my wife perhaps drive a Tesla, a sporty Lexus, a 911 or possibly an F. Muscle car - no.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-29-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mp51998
I was just in that boat. I had my eye on a C7, Z06 though, but went wth the F-type instead. As stated, just to many around now.
Not sure of your location but if Austin is an hour away another hour will get you to San Antonio and they have a great dealership there. Ask for Jason. He took good care of us and is very knowledgable

I did the same thing. Was going to pull the trigger on a new Z06 convertible to go along with my C6 convertible but went with a new F Type R convertible instead. My C6 still looks good and has lots of life left in it. I may upgrade when the C8 comes out. The F Type can be used as a DD just as easy as a C7. Cost may be a factor once the warranty runs out.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type  OR   C7-img_1255.jpg  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

2016 has 5 year 50K Warranty.. What is Vette, 3 Yr 30K? My dealer is an hour away but they pick up my car and give me a free loaner, even out of warranty. See if you can get that deal too.