F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R Lack of Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default F-Type R Lack of Gauges?

Recently picked up a 2015 F-Type R. Still going through the manual to set up the computer the way I'd like to have it. I have noticed that there is no oil pressure gauge on the dash or available on the screen. Same thing with oil temperature, transmission temperature, voltage and tire pressure. I'm I missing something here? Every sports car or hot rod I've ever owned was equipped with most or all of these gauges. Comments?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts
Old 05-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

It's a major shortcoming, but Jag thinks we're too stupid to properly interpret such information. They don't even offer a dipstick.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's a major shortcoming, but Jag thinks we're too stupid to properly interpret such information. They don't even offer a dipstick.
Sad reality is that the average motorist many times doesn't know how to correctly interpret gauge information.

While it's nice to have lots of data available and we're used to having a plethora of gauges as part of the sporty car image, the number of times this info is of practical use is extremely limited.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's not unique to Jaguar. My 2008 M3 had no dipstick.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

My wife's Mercedes had nothing other than coolant temp needle. It did have a dipstick. When I had a BMW years ago, the info was minimal. I liked having the info on my Porsche, but I can live without it.
Larry

Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think any vehicle capable of pushing 200 MPH or carving up a race track needs those gauges. I know that in other cars, I've had to allow a cool down period because the oil temps were so high after pushing them. I'd hate to cook an engine because of no oil temp gauge. Thanks for the comments. I thought I just might be missing something.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Ditto on our X3.... I miss dipsticks! ....wait, that doesn't sound right...

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Other than the driver, some might say. Sorry, could not resist.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Tire pressure recommended and actual is available through steering wheel menu button (at least on 16).

Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,257 Likes on 7,372 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Ditto on our X3.... I miss dipsticks! ....wait, that doesn't sound right...

Cheers,
Dave
You'll find a lot of 'dipsticks' on Capitol Hill....

Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
You'll find a lot of 'dipsticks' on Capitol Hill....
Yes, here they are close at hand , but don't fit down the filler hole.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

this is the way of the future, limited engine info only, but if you want to change the radio station they'll put that in the instrument cluster complete with station name, current track and the announcers favourite meal

my RS3 has a boost gauge where typically other models have coolant temp, but it doesn't have any markings on the gauge. i had to unlock the oil temp display in the instrument cluster via coding because factory spec is no oil temp info for you

Old 05-25-2016, 02:51 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

as domino says ..way of the future. During my time on the design team for the RAF Typhoon the philosophy was to only show details ie temps and pressures when there was a problem. If no display then everything was ok, first pilot got to know about oil pressure failure was when it failed or had moved below a predetermined pressure, it was possible to access greater detail but this wasnt the norm. Theres good and bad with both philosophys, my preference is to have the gauges displayed or at the very least to call them up with one single button press, I dont really need to know the radio channel, it music is crap I just stick radio on search until i hear something I like.

Big problem for me is as follows..and I use the following as an example......when I was flying LYnx helicopters in the Royal Navy we had some issues with single hydraulic systems failure and engine oil failures, in this aircraft with traditional instruments (bit like a traditional sports car with loads of gauges)you could watch the fluctuations on the gauge (normally signified imminent failure) and pre empt the actual failure. This gave us time in the cockpit to deal with the failure, with a "modern" system of display, first we get to know about the failure is when it fails. For me a single button press to call up all the gauges on the central display is what the manufacturer should be providing.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

There seems something very right with a Lynx pilot driving an F-type.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet
in this aircraft with traditional instruments (bit like a traditional sports car with loads of gauges)you could watch the fluctuations on the gauge (normally signified imminent failure) and pre empt the actual failure. This gave us time in the cockpit to deal with the failure,
If even a small fraction of motorists had the training and intelligence to correctly interpret gauge reading and react appropriately, there might be a chance that cars would still have a full compliment of instruments.

The reality is, and I'm sad to see it occur fairly frequently on this discussion board, many owners don't react even when presented with an obvious problem typically pinned coolant temp gauges and bright red warning lights. It's not rare to see an owner 'wait till he gets it home' to start investigating, instead of pulling over immediately.

It's also not rare to see owners who have installed a gauge kit suddenly imagining all sorts of problems as the indications are moving all over the place. There's no actual problem, just data overload. Surprisingly low oil pressure at hot idle or surprisingly high coolant temps in traffic have caused more than one owner to panic needlessly.

The cars are not the problem.

Last edited by Mikey; 05-25-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Right, I still remember my wife destroying the engine in our Datsun pickup years ago. The temp gauge pegged out, the red light was on and...what am I supposed to do? She drove it until it stopped.

Larry

Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

The 2002 BMW I also own also offers no oil termperature or oil pressure information (beyond the warning light).

Additionally, the coolant temperature gauge reads at the mid point over quite a wide range of actual temperatures.

All to avoid confusing the customer.

In a previous thread, it took the concerted efforts of several in order to convince one member that there really was a good reason why the tyre pressure monitoring system stopped giving a reading (but continuing to provide puncture warnings) once the vehicle started moving.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

My wife's C63 has an old school needle gauge (albeit LCD) for water temp as well as digital read outs for both water and oil temps. No oil pressure indications. It has a dipstick as well. My SLK 55 had no dipstick only the water temp guage.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default mickey good point

Originally Posted by Mikey
If even a small fraction of motorists had the training and intelligence to correctly interpret gauge reading and react appropriately, there might be a chance that cars would still have a full compliment of instruments.

The reality is, and I'm sad to see it occur fairly frequently on this discussion board, many owners don't react even when presented with an obvious problem typically pinned coolant temp gauges and bright red warning lights. It's not rare to see an owner 'wait till he gets it home' to start investigating, instead of pulling over immediately.

It's also not rare to see owners who have installed a gauge kit suddenly imagining all sorts of problems as the indications are moving all over the place. There's no actual problem, just data overload. Surprisingly low oil pressure at hot idle or surprisingly high coolant temps in traffic have caused more than one owner to panic needlessly.

The cars are not the problem.

youre quite right Mickey, cars arent the problem, its the stupid things some owners do that is.