F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type SVR Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
You guys know that JLR was in a legal dispute with VW/Audi for the R/R-S branding, and lost? Which is why Jag changed the "R" branding from a square to a round background. And very likely why they are looking for a new performance brand. R = too similar to VW R Line R-S = too similar to Audi RS4/5/6 The VW/Audi logos were almost identical to the Jag ones. Jag lost... The short term response was to change the background of the Jag R logo from square to round. Long term was, find a new brand. Hello SVR.
So is SVR replacing R or R-S?

The way Range Rover is using it looks more like an R model to me...

Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Here's something

Originally Posted by jaguarmagazine.com
In a move that shouldn't be too much of a surprise, Jaguar will soon be replacing its high-performance R-S models with cars wearing the all-new SVR brand, and the first such model we'll be seeing under this new naming convention is the upcoming 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR .

This was all confirmed by John Edwards, the head of Jaguar Land Rover's Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) team, who was quoted by Autovisie as saying that the R-S moniker will "disappear" and that the SVR models will be "substantially better" than the R models. In the case of the F-Type, that means that power will exceed the F-Type R's 550-horsepower output, and while details are still unknown, we can only hope for an output closer to the 600-horsepower mark.

The SVO team will be responsible for developing SVR performance vehicles for both Jaguar and Land Rover , and Edwards promises that these models will be faster than the non-SVR models with specific tuning to both the powertrain and chassis. As an example of this, last year's introduction of the Range Rover Sport SVR revealed the SUV had been retuned to produce 542 horsepower along with a top speed of 162 miles per hour.

Edwards did not give a time frame for when we could see the next generation of Jaguar performance cars to debut (or even which cars other than the F-Type will get the SVR treatment), but based on how amazing the XKR-S and XFR-S are, we're sure we won't have much longer to find out.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Type Svr

1 st post on here...Just sold my 2008 ZO-6...It had 550 to the rear wheels..
Have bin looking at the F type R...But I just saw this today...WOW...

Jaguar F-Type SVR to have more than 600 bhp

When could we actually see this?..Would it be low production like the project 7 car?

Thanx...Steve

Last edited by Cambo; 04-28-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Guessing SVR is the new "RS". Old way there would have been an F-Type R-S but now it's rebranded as F-Type SVR? I don't mind more power/torque, but more looking forward to the body work, suspension tweaks, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Personally, I'm keeping my eye out for any word of a performance tune. Have heard a whisper or two but nothing definite yet. Hopefully only a matter of time.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Personally, I'm keeping my eye out for any word of a performance tune. Have heard a whisper or two but nothing definite yet. Hopefully only a matter of time.
Wat?

Plenty of tunes out there already mate... I might know a guy local in fact...

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

you can already have 600+hp for under $1,000 not a biggy, has been done on the XKs for a long time ...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
you can already have 600+hp for under $1,000 not a biggy, has been done on the XKs for a long time ...
So what WOULD impress you then, Captain Cool?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Not if you want to be certain to keep your warranty intact in case of a major engine malfunction. Most are.

The "biggy" here is 600HP with full factory backing.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe a free hottie sitting next to you with each purchase. The SVR will have some other goodies I am sure but just HP is no reason to trade up. It is just a software tune, the F-Type was running between 750-800HP during testing phase.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Not if you want to be certain to keep your warranty intact in case of a major engine malfunction. Most are.

The "biggy" here is 600HP with full factory backing.
I have full factory waranty and unless the HP caused an engine failure which will be almost impossible to prove these comments are none sensical. We are talking about a tune, no engine work. If you are that afraid that you have to post that everywhere you go than I wonder how you manage to drive your car at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

If you burn a valve, or worse yet have something let go, and your car has been tuned, they will find it. The fingerprints are always there. That will be evidence enough in virtually any court of law to result in a finding that your actions caused the failure.

People keep invoking Magnussen-Moss out of ignorance. I've seen many cases with Corvettes, which are often tuned and where the engine warranties have been denied simply because a tune was detected. Those who filed lawsuits didn't win them either because the presence of a tune was all the judge needed to find in favor of the manufacturer. Of course, if their windshield wipers stopped working, that still would have been covered.

Sure, you still have full factory warranty unless you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of needing major engine work or a replacement engine.

I'm not tuning my car, so I have no worries.

Last edited by Norri; 04-29-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Removed personal comment
Tar1018 (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I feel like my cat can barely handle her 500hp. What performance advantage do you get from these tunes? Are your cars faster at launch? Or at higher speeds?

xrix4096 (10-29-2019)
Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

I have full factory waranty and unless the HP caused an engine failure which will be almost impossible to prove these comments are none sensical. We are talking about a tune, no engine work. If you are that afraid that you have to post that everywhere you go than I wonder how you manage to drive your car at all.
it also depends on the manufacturer. Audi flagged cars with tunes to deny warranty ... just search for Audi + TD1. You could probably have your motor warrantied if something happens after a tune, but it will, more than likely, be an uphill battle.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

I did not say they would not find it as matter of fact my Jaguar dealership installed the pulleys for me. Point is they have to prove that the tune caused the break and since they ran the engines at much higher outputs makes that is almost impossible.

What is the point of more hp? What is the point of the SVR? What is the point of 500HP? What is this Kindergarten where people can only have what others approve off?

The SVR is simply a differently tuned version of the exact same engine, nothing changes so Jaguar has no leg to stand on. They cannot refuse warranty simply based on the tune if the the warranty issue has nothing to do with that.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I think they need to improve the handling. I find the car to get a bit loose on some high speed curves and it needs better suspension to deal with that. Specifically I think the car needs active anti-roll bars, or beefier anti-roll bars.

Surprisingly since I upgraded my M5 with Dinan anti-roll bars, I find it corners better than my F-Type R Coupe (in high speed corners, in lower and medium speed corners the F-Type crushes the m5).

Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
it also depends on the manufacturer. Audi flagged cars with tunes to deny warranty ... just search for Audi + TD1. You could probably have your motor warrantied if something happens after a tune, but it will, more than likely, be an uphill battle.
Guess it also depends on the Audi. When I had a TT-RS that was tuned and had a larger downpipe, Audi never batted an eye during any warranty service. They also replaced an engine that grenaded for someone that had a stage 2 APR tune. The investigation resulted that the tune did not cause the engine failure.

That said I don't know if I'll ever tune the F-type. The rumor that Jaguar might be offering an ECU update is intriguing though.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea when we might hear about about a release date on the SVR?

Quick Reply: F-Type SVR Discussion Thread