F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type SVR Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It is to me worth it, but car is grounded for two reason . 1) Winter, but 2) I have a defective front differential. It's been with the dealer since the beginning of the month while I wait for a new one to come in from England.

The following users liked this post:
Tar1018 (12-31-2016)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

hmmm So I ordered in November for March Delivery, told it would be built in Feb, does that mean i'll get the new spec released today? hard to imagine they would still build pre facelift after the announcement?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_Sw1
hmmm So I ordered in November for March Delivery, told it would be built in Feb, does that mean i'll get the new spec released today? hard to imagine they would still build pre facelift after the announcement?
You'll have to ask the dealer. Is it a '17 build or an '18 build? Most changes previously announced in November of a given year didn't go into effect until Mar the next year. This cycle, they are a bit late in making the announcements.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by themeatbaron
It is to me worth it, but car is grounded for two reason . 1) Winter, but 2) I have a defective front differential. It's been with the dealer since the beginning of the month while I wait for a new one to come in from England.
Those SVR parts take while, what happened to the diff if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Curious can anyone with an SVR confirm whether the outer fender on your car is also aluminum. Talking about this piece, received a replacement piece today and its not aluminum and it does not fit properly.

The piece I received has a totally different upper section where it attaches to the inner fender.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Curious can anyone with an SVR confirm whether the outer fender on your car is also aluminum. Talking about this piece, received a replacement piece today and its not aluminum and it does not fit properly.

The piece I received has a totally different upper section where it attaches to the inner fender.
I just checked and it feels aluminum to me. It's certainly metal. Makes a 'clink' sound when tapped.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

That piece looks like it's from a sedan rather than the F-Type

Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That piece looks like it's from a sedan rather than the F-Type
The piece is definitely an SVR piece in terms of shape, I test fitted it against the car today and it fit nicely; however, what is weird is that its not aluminum. At least the piece I received and I ordered it from Jaguar but it didn't have the typical Jaguar labels usually on all their parts. It looked aftermarket. Also the screw holes didn't lineup with the inner fender. Something seems off here. I need to do some investigation. I am a bit confused why they would make only this piece non-aluminum.

Also it appears Jaguar changed the outer fender piece for the SVR mid-production. If you look at the attached photo you can see the outer fender in the photo and the piece I receive are a match in terms of shape, but one of the screw holes on my piece is in the wrong location. Super confusing.

Last edited by zmoothg; 02-02-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I am a bit confused why they would make only this piece non-aluminum.
What has brought you to the conclusion that it's not aluminum? I assume it's made of metal? If so, they typically coat the metal materials to prevent oxidation and prepare them for paint. So it could very well be aluminum under there.

If it's not metal, and rather a plastic based component, it's for a cost reason. Which would make sense because this part isn't structural so why make it strong and expensive.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
What has brought you to the conclusion that it's not aluminum? I assume it's made of metal? If so, they typically coat the metal materials to prevent oxidation and prepare them for paint. So it could very well be aluminum under there.

If it's not metal, and rather a plastic based component, it's for a cost reason. Which would make sense because this part isn't structural so why make it strong and expensive.
But there's more to it than that. One, if it's not aluminum and it's supposed to be, that's odd. Secondly, the part looks different than the drawing and the drilled holes don't line up. I would be concerned if it were me.

People make mistakes ALL the time in customer service. It's more plausible than Jaguar deciding to change the material used to make a basic body part IMO

Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM

I'm not sure it's supposed to be aluminum. It could very well be aluminum but I doubt it. I agree it's sort of an extra piece over the real fender so it needs not be aluminum. I just figured they would want to maje the car as light as possible, this piece definitely feels heavier than the inner fender which is clearly aluminum.

The pieces are now with the body shop I guess I'll wait and see how it comes out. One of the top screw holes does not align, which worries me, but everything else aligns perfectly. There are even three guide notches on the rear of the outer fender which align perfectly with the guide inserts on the front of the inner fender.. That one off screw hole has me perplexed. I don't know what to make of it. The body shop said they can align in.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonery
But there's more to it than that. One, if it's not aluminum and it's supposed to be, that's odd. Secondly, the part looks different than the drawing and the drilled holes don't line up. I would be concerned if it were me.

People make mistakes ALL the time in customer service. It's more plausible than Jaguar deciding to change the material used to make a basic body part IMO
A customer service person couldn't possibly make a mistake ordering a plastic part vs. an aluminum part unless both existed first. Car companies change part designs in the middle of production all the time. If a specific design had a problem they could fix, the fix would be done on the fly. This could explain the difference in hole layout/attachment which just means someone in customer service ordered wrong one.

I'm not sure it's supposed to be aluminum. It could very well be aluminum but I doubt it. I agree it's sort of an extra piece over the real fender so it needs not be aluminum. I just figured they would want to maje the car as light as possible, this piece definitely feels heavier than the inner fender which is clearly aluminum.

The pieces are now with the body shop I guess I'll wait and see how it comes out. One of the top screw holes does not align, which worries me, but everything else aligns perfectly. There are even three guide notches on the rear of the outer fender which align perfectly with the guide inserts on the front of the inner fender.. That one off screw hole has me perplexed. I don't know what to make of it. The body shop said they can align in.
Keep in mind jaguar has never been about making this car light... Yes they used aluminum, but its always been a bit of a pig, weight wise. We're talking hundreds of pounds heavier than the similarly sized corvette.

Jaguar doesn't sell enough of these to afford using the lightest materials possible. They can't invest the same amount of money as something that sells 50000+ units a year. So I could absolutely see how a non-structural part could be made cheaply out of something heavier than you'd expect. That being said, i'm still betting that's aluminum and just coated.

Also, I would have taken that part back to Jaguar and asked why the holes were in the wrong location. Its possible they just ordered you the wrong part.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:20 AM

can anyone who has an SVR confirm they are delivered on Pirelli P Zero SC
305/30 ZR20 99Y J ?

that seems to be the Jaguar one but its Y rated and that means 186mph. given its a 200mph car, how does that stack up?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I assume the 99Y isn't in parenthesis, which would indicate >186MPH, according to Wikipedia.

Wonder what the Z means. That's where the speed rating was many years ago.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I assume the 99Y isn't in parenthesis, which would indicate >186MPH, according to Wikipedia.

Wonder what the Z means. That's where the speed rating was many years ago.
Dave,
It still serves the same purpose, indicating that the maximum speed is above 149mph. The Y service code indicates the specific maximum speed.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Interesting. I remember the old Z-rating. I guess they realized they needed to be more specific, probably with the slew of high-powered cars in the past 20 years.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 PM

so it does mean they are fitting 186 mph tyres to a 200mph car? all the ones you can buy here are y rated also,

Old 02-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dave_Sw1
so it does mean they are fitting 186 mph tyres to a 200mph car? all the ones you can buy here are y rated also,
The Y rated tires will work just fine for 200 mph for short periods of time. The concern would be for sustained speeds at 200 mph.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-08-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I'm suspicious of the size you quoted. For all the tires that Tire Rack recommends, the fronts (265) have a load rating of 99, and the rears (305) have a load rating of 103. And they're all Y-rated, with parenthesis, for >186MPH. i.e. (99Y)

But I'll get out of the way and let someone with an SVR respond.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 AM

as far as I understand it, the load rating is to do with the weight of the car not speed, and every website you can buy tyres from here, the max they quote is Y rated, i'm wondering if thats just the default rating for all high end tyres now because there are not an insignificant number of production cars out there that can do more than 186 but apparently no tyres on sale for that. just thinking about this sort of scenario on the occasional trip to Germany
that sure wasn't sustained highspeed driving, different car and no idea on the tyres and condition of them, but it does seem a little odd that the rating doesn't appear to match the car on an SVR

Quick Reply: F-Type SVR Discussion Thread