Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front strut brace ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Front strut brace ...

Hi guys, I see that many high performance sports cars have a front strut brace to improve the suspension handling. Is the brace actually a cosmetic gimmick or does it actually benefit the handling of the car. I'm wondering why the F Type doesn't have a strut brace. Your message thoughts please. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

In some respects it helps performance, but it certainly depends on how rigid the chassis is. Based on what I know about chassis design, my assumption is there wasn't significant enough clearance to fit one between the strut towers and the hood; and likely the chassis is stiff enough that the engineers didn't want to mess everything up just to add one.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Look under the hood, the F-Type already has four braces, all of which are bolted to the strut tower area. So in effect it already has a "front strut brace", it's just in four pieces and it runs front to back rather than side to side.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Do you really think that the F-Type chassis is not stiff enough?

The convertible is already 10% stiffer laterally than the XKR-S Coupe, and the suspension mounting rigidity in particular is noted to be 30% stiffer than the XKR-S.

And then the F-Type Coupe is noted to be 80% stiffer than the Convertible...

Numerous road tests and reviews of the Convertible when it was first released saw comments like "it shows no scuttle shake or flexing at all"

I don't think anyone ever complained about the chassis not being stiff enough... especially a Coupe...

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Do you really think that the F-Type chassis is not stiff enough?

The convertible is already 10% stiffer laterally than the XKR-S Coupe, and the suspension mounting rigidity in particular is noted to be 30% stiffer than the XKR-S.

And then the F-Type Coupe is noted to be 80% stiffer than the Convertible...

Numerous road tests and reviews of the Convertible when it was first released saw comments like "it shows no scuttle shake or flexing at all"

I don't think anyone ever complained about the chassis not being stiff enough... especially a Coupe...
+1. Other than a couple of birdcage frame cars I've had, this is the first where I have sensed absolutely no chassis flex.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

strut brace is a bandaid for a flexy chassis......not needed on the F type.

Dave