F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This A Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

It is very rare that you will get the same deal. It's more than just the transport fee. Dealer A does not want to give up a sellable car without profit (unless it's been lotbound for months). Dealer B still wants to make X margin on their sold cars. You get what's left.

I've never felt like the service side cared where I got the vehicle. They are often two totally separate entities within the dealer.

That said, I *always* give my local a chance to get me the deal I want. When they can't, I go looking. If you get the deal you want from your preferred seller, it's a win, even if you are paying more for convenience.

Sorry.. probably too much.. I'm one of the rare guys that likes shopping for cars and negotiating.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ended up getting the f type r. I could not get more than 10%. Still happy as that's what I was aiming for but would have been nicer to get some more off

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JFerraro819
Ended up getting the f type r. I could not get more than 10%. Still happy as that's what I was aiming for but would have been nicer to get some more off
Congrats on the new ride!

All regions are different. If you feel like you got the best deal possible for *you*, enjoy the new ride!!

Mike

Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
Congrats on the new ride!

All regions are different. If you feel like you got the best deal possible for *you*, enjoy the new ride!!

Mike

I know it seems you just bought your car...just in case it is not too late - does it need to be a 17 model or would you look at 16?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Coopersjag
I know it seems you just bought your car...just in case it is not too late - does it need to be a 17 model or would you look at 16?
If you were referring to me I would have considered a 16. I was very particular on interior/exterior color and needed the vision pack

Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Has anyone had any experience with dealers bringing in cars from other dealers? I am within driving distance of 3-5 dealers but considered trying to get a nearby dealer to locate a specifically optioned car at another dealer. Will they do that? Thought it might make required service more friendly??
I had my preferred dealer (local to me), locate my XF SC and had it shipped from about 5 hours away for $500. When shopping for my F, I discussed the same with my dealer, but the high discount VIP cars (new, bought by dealer, warranty started), presented a problem to exchange, or so I was told. If you are within driving distance, I think your best deal will come from a direct buy. Sometimes dealers close to each other do not swap (or cannot?) likely to keep competition, but this is only a guess.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I am within 1-2 hrs drive of 3-4 dealers. Those I can do. Thinking of checking for the car I want with those. Hoping to use a local(30 min.) dealer to get the right car, but if necessary, " Have cash Will Travel".

Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I got my car from a dealership in Greenville, SC, but the actual car was at a dealer in Hilton Head, SC. There was no problem with the dealers swapping cars, trucking mine to Greenville. I never even tried getting a deal at Hilton Head since I was working with Greenville. My SA even told me that they would be happy to bring in any car, from another dealer, that met my specifications.
Larry

Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

That is the kind of dealer I would really like to find and work with. Unfortunately, they are few and far between, especially here in Fla. Maybe I should come up to Greenville.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

When I asked my local dealer about getting something in from another dealer, it was met with a grimace and some waffle about it only working if they could work out a trade/swap. I chose not to pursue it and dealt with the dealer out of reach directly. In the end found a better value deal on the preowned lot of a Merc dealer in NV. Seems you can get some good deals at Merc dealers based on past forum feedback ;-)

Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JFerraro819
If you were referring to me I would have considered a 16. I was very particular on interior/exterior color and needed the vision pack
Sent you some options in PM - no affiliation , I was browsing for my own deal on a much lower level Ftype....but the R models I spotted all jumped out at me for huge discount and pretty well spec'd. Might not meet your color preferences however.

Like I said maybe too late as you might have done the deal, but thought I'd share what I had seen in case it would help.

The following users liked this post:
JFerraro819 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Coopersjag
Sent you some options in PM - no affiliation , I was browsing for my own deal on a much lower level Ftype....but the R models I spotted all jumped out at me for huge discount and pretty well spec'd. Might not meet your color preferences however.

Like I said maybe too late as you might have done the deal, but thought I'd share what I had seen in case it would help.
Thank you for going out of your way to send me a pm. The deal is pretty much set and the leftover you sent was very tempting but i'm not sure i could live without a black car.

The following users liked this post:
Coopersjag (02-25-2017)