F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Jaguar lost its mojo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

F Pace V8 is already on the track being r&d'd, so that's a definite

XE hasn't even been spotted yet, and given the next round of even stricter euro emissions are around the corner, i wouldn't hold your breath for a v8 version

I only recently went to market for a sports sedan, and would have loved to have bought a proper M3 rivaling XE, especially given that chassis is a noticeable improvement to the current germans

re interiors, i find a quite noticeable difference in trim quality and materials bw my my16 f-type and rest of the current jag range. the XE currently cannot compete with the germans in that regard, it can't even compete with the premium japanese brands. i assume, just like f-type, a mid life facelift will bring an improvement in trim

Last edited by domino_z; 02-15-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
F Pace V8 is already on the track being r&d'd, so that's a definite

XE hasn't even been spotted yet, and given the next round of even stricter euro emissions are around the corner, i wouldn't hold your breath for a v8 version

I only recently went to market for a sports sedan, and would have loved to have bought a proper M3 rivaling XE, especially given that chassis is a noticeable improvement to the current germans

re interiors, i find a quite noticeable difference in trim quality and materials bw my my16 f-type and rest of the current jag range. the XE currently cannot compete with the germans in that regard, it can't even compete with the premium japanese brands. i assume, just like f-type, a mid life facelift will bring an improvement in trim
Aside from power, the M3 also has a significant weight and suspension tuning advantage over the XE... in order to compete the XE would need a higher output V6 (400 sport?), better suspension, fatter tires, and bigger brakes. And don't forget the limited slip diff...

If they just put a V8 into the current XE setup, the extra power would be fun but the handling department would still be pretty lacking over the M3, especially with the extra weight over the front end. I think they could accomplish M3-level dynamics with the V6.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonery
That doesn't matter to most which is why most people buy Mercedes and Porsches. I don't blame them. You won't have to worry about a Porsche rattling or the airbag sensors not working.

Really?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Aside from power, the M3 also has a significant weight and suspension tuning advantage over the XE... in order to compete the XE would need a higher output V6 (400 sport?), better suspension, fatter tires, and bigger brakes. And don't forget the limited slip diff...

If they just put a V8 into the current XE setup, the extra power would be fun but the handling department would still be pretty lacking over the M3, especially with the extra weight over the front end. I think they could accomplish M3-level dynamics with the V6.
yes let me clarify in that by saying put a v8 in XE, I mean build an R or SVR version of the car and thus all the other mechanical changes that would bring

the XE is already at an advantage to the Germans in having a double wishbone front end vs McPherson strut in m3/c63, more advanced rear suspension architecture and an alu chassis. All the ingredients are there to make a very competitive car in that segment

Old 02-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The Jag V8 weighs not much more than the V6, so I don't think it'll be a lead-tipped arrow...

Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Clarification

I understand that there was a belief that Porsche sold out because of the Cayenne, Panamera, and Macan. But going into different segments but maintaining the brand's identity, feel, and experience is not selling out. It's actually a triumph.

When I describe "selling out", I am talking about stripping your cars from everything that made them special. The 550GT?! The fact that the 3 and 5 series are neither special nor the best handling. BMW steering has been lost. That's what I mean.

I am driving an XE as a loaner. Awesome steering, brakes and chassis. But, interior is brutally cheap, seats suck, too much wind noise. Overall, Jaguar is dialing out the smoothness out of their cars. Refinement is technical but not tactile. You feel and hear the road. You hear the wind...it's a different experience. I'm not convinced. I loved the original XF...and they are moving away from that sense of grace.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (02-19-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

My 2012 XF Supercharged was in for some warranty work a few weeks ago and they gave me an XE 35T for the week as a loaner. I was expecting to be thrilled by the cars dynamics after the reviews but honestly it didn't feel like anything special and the interior was a big letdown. Unfortunately the XF had to go back to have the work re-done so this time they gave me a 2016 BMW 328. The interior was very sparse and not great, but what a hoot to drive. Eager, nimble and engaging, and it was a 4 cylinder! After driving both for a week I struggle to understand how, aside from brand preference, anyone would end up with the Jaguar.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Fair enough but remember that the XE is the cheapest Jag you can buy so of course it's not going to be as fantastically trimmed and appointed as an XJ, or an XF for that matter.

If an XE ticked every box then what are you gonna do with the XF or the XJ? Why would anyone buy an XF or an XJ for more money if the XE was perfect?

People complained about the X-Type being "cheap" well yeah it was meant to be cheap*** same thing goes for the XE, it's the entry level model, it's not going to be as fantastic as an XF or XJ.

*** for clarification, I had a 2005 X-Type and a 2005 XJR at the same time and was swapping between them on a daily basis. You could see and feel why the XJR cost close to triple the money of the X-Type. The X-Type wasn't "bad" but the XJR was just so much better.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (02-15-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 AM

edit! i mean XF

imo new XF is even cheaper feeling inside than the XE

the door trims especially are scratchy and hollow sounding

Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Until recently my Jag dealer was also Porsche dealer and remember their service dept to always be full! Biggest complaint in lounge was having to have a Xf loaner and price of service vs Jag at same dealer. Little stuff just accepted.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

XE handles and feels better than the 328i. I have driven both. The biggest letdown is the interior materials. A leather dash, more sound deadening and cloth speaker covers would go a long way

Old 02-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I would challenge the notion that upscale versions of all models can't be offered. Some don't want the larger vehicle or can't afford the larger one with bells and whistles. I know the mfrs. may want to push buyers upstream due to higher profit margins, but their is a segment, in Europe particularly one would think, where the smaller car is preferred. The 2011-12 XF SC was a bargain. Sometimes I wish I kept it as a winter car and just upgraded the suspension and sway bars. Nicely fit out for the money with 470 hp, and still looked like a coupe.