F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY15 vs MY16 differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Default MY15 vs MY16 differences

So I've had the 2016 car for a couple weeks now and decided to document some of the changes I've noticed for the MY16 cars

1. Paddle shifters were changed from orange to a silver plastic. Not the aluminum shifters that are still available as an accessory
  2. Start button changed from orange to black
  3. Trunk release/rear fog light buttons redesigned
  4. ECO start/stop is no longer disabled automatically when you switch to dynamic or sport mode. You must push the ECO button to disable now.
  5. Electric power steering. Even in dynamic mode, steering feel is much lighter than the hydraulic power steering in the older cars. Not a fan.
  6. Left foot rest is 1/2 the width. Not wide enough to fit your entire foot on as before, only the left half of your foot. Annoying!
  7. Navigation screen. Other than the new Home screen, everything else is pretty much the same as last year. Just as slow, if not slower.
  8. Center display is much improved and offers a helpful widget selection to display either trip info or radio info. Wish there were more options but better than nothing which is what the older car had.

I'm sure there's a few more things that I'm forgetting but maybe this will help anyone thinking about trading in a My14 or My15 car for a new one.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

I think there is already a fairly extensive thread on this subject.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

interesting about the ECO mode...

Old 08-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
[*] Left foot rest is 1/2 the width. Not wide enough to fit your entire foot on as before, only the left half of your foot. Annoying!
That was necessary to standardize the bodies between the AT and MT models. A full width footrest would have interfered with the clutch operation.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
interesting about the ECO mode...
On mine it is disabled, but the button is still lit. Basically if you shift back to drive it will stop start again.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

On the MTs, dynamic mode does not turn ECO off...engine still stops.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

MY16 S models still have the Ignis orange paddles and start/stop buttons.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

lol @ nav screen update

yep i too saw the fresher home screen, but then navigating the sub menu's its all the same old school graphics, bit disappointing if you were having to use this system daily

the centre screen and gauge font refresh is a big update, especially since it's right in front of you all the time. the old screen with the rectangle bars was like something off an atari video game

im glad they removed that orange switchgear crap, such a nasty chintz detail - right up there with the ubiquitous red interior/exterior highlights to make a car look sporty

the one thing they still haven't added though is a removeable sun visor, very important for us in Aus where we have a hole in the ozone layer above our heads

Old 08-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

So I've had the 2016 car for a couple weeks now and decided to document some of the changes I've noticed for the MY16 cars
[LIST=1][*]Paddle shifters were changed from orange to a silver plastic. Not the aluminum shifters that are still available as an accessory[*]Start button changed from orange to black
Base cars in 14-15 have black paddles, and have a black start button.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:45 PM

Guess I should have clarified I was comparing a '15 R coupe to a '16 R coupe...

Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Few things I have noticed as well...

The new silver shifters are one pice moulded. (The orange ones were two piece and had an annoying seam/split running down the edge)
e.g the indicator sound or click is electronically produced to actually sound like a relay clicking.
ECO Auto Stop is easily disabled as there is only one battery onboard the car now (see my post RE: Disabling)
Left footrest problem can be overcome by polished pedal pack option
InControl App for the iPhone is a useful addition
SOS button actually works! (Tried it on a demo - had the police banging on my door 5 hours later) :-)

There are more, but I'm sure I'll bore you!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
On mine it is disabled, but the button is still lit. Basically if you shift back to drive it will stop start again.
I tried it on the way to work this morning. Was in dynamic & sport mode with ECO start/stop enabled. Engine continued to start/stop.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

I tried it on the way to work this morning. Was in dynamic & sport mode with ECO start/stop enabled. Engine continued to start/stop.
It's not surprising they made this change for '16. The US and EU CAFE mandates, which require ever-improving fleet fuel economy year-after-year, are forcing JLR and everyone else into things like that. It would also explain why we don't see V8s offered in the new XE and XF models.

We'll likely continue to see high-powered V8s in the sportiest models for a few more years, but the rest of Jaguar's models must allow the fleet average to meet the target. It's also possible that they got busted for how easy it was to defeat the start-stop system in '14-15 models.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-19-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What gear were you in? Were you using paddles or just the gear knob?

Just like Stohlen, my '16 R does not stop/start when selecting gears with paddles in dynamic mode.

Last edited by Goldorak; 08-19-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Goldorak
What gear were you in? Were you using paddles or just the gear knob?

Just like Stohlen, my '16 R does not stop/start when selecting gears with paddles in dynamic mode.
Not manually selecting gears. Automatic shifting in sport/dynamic mode

I should also note that when manually shifting gears in dynamic/non-sport mode, it reverts back to automatic shifting after a short while. It only stays in manual shift mode if in sport mode.

Last edited by another_geek; 08-19-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Not manually selecting gears. Automatic shifting in sport/dynamic mode

I should also note that when manually shifting gears in dynamic/non-sport mode, it reverts back to automatic shifting after a short while. It only stays in manual shift mode if in sport mode.
Sport and dynamic mode are two different things. "Sport" means moving the shifter to the left (on LHD models) for manual shifting. If you do that and never manual shift, it behaves as if it's in auto mode. All it takes is one manual shift, and it never reverts back to auto mode until you move the lever back to the right.

Dynamic mode simply changes the ECU mapping and is unrelated to sport mode. I can see if you select Dynamic, and then manual shift, but never move the handle to the left (sport mode) it will revert back, just as it does in regular auto mode.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sport and dynamic mode are two different things. "Sport" means moving the shifter to the left (on LHD models) for manual shifting. If you do that and never manual shift, it behaves as if it's in auto mode. All it takes is one manual shift, and it never reverts back to auto mode until you move the lever back to the right.

Dynamic mode simply changes the ECU mapping and is unrelated to sport mode. I can see if you select Dynamic, and then manual shift, but never move the handle to the left (sport mode) it will revert back, just as it does in regular auto mode.
Yes, I understand the difference. I'm also aware of the manual and auto shift functions also. I was just clarifying about what modes I was in when ECO start/stop was/wasn't working. Guess I should have typed dynamic&sport rather than dynamic/sport for clarity

Old 08-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
"Sport" means moving the shifter to the left (on LHD models) for manual shifting. If you do that and never manual shift, it behaves as if it's in auto mode. All it takes is one manual shift, and it never reverts back to auto mode until you move the lever back to the right.
It will revert to auto mode if you "pull and hold" the right (upshift) lever for a couple of seconds.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Guess I should have clarified I was comparing a '15 R coupe to a '16 R coupe...
Are these faults in the 2016 R AWD enough to make you wish you'd replaced your car with a 2015 r?

Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
It will revert to auto mode if you "pull and hold" the right (upshift) lever for a couple of seconds.
OK, that's a new one on me, and I'll have to take your word for it. I can't imagine a reason why I'd shift it into sport mode so I could keep it manually shifting and then hold the right paddle so that it would shift back into auto.

I was aware that if paddle downshifting in auto mode, one could hold the right paddle to put it back into full auto.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-19-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: MY15 vs MY16 differences