F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues

Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone had their new f type delivered with paint issues/damage? Excuse me for not researching before posting.

But this really annoyed me, still is every time I look at my Polaris pain, chrome, even the glass. I'm not a detailing expert but I've washed the car and had it clay bared and polished but still I feel there is some type oxidation that happened to the car during transport.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 818
Anyone had their new f type delivered with paint issues/damage? Excuse me for not researching before posting.

But this really annoyed me, still is every time I look at my Polaris pain, chrome, even the glass. I'm not a detailing expert but I've washed the car and had it clay bared and polished but still I feel there is some type oxidation that happened to the car during transport.
I don't remember any such issue being posted. A number of folks had paint chipping occur at the seams due to panel clearance issues, but not anything related to hazing or oxidation. Have a good detailer assess what is going on and then take that info back to the dealer to get it fixed.

The following users liked this post:
818 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Ok thanks, searching for a good detailer.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I've washed the car and had it clay bared and polished but still I feel there is some type oxidation that happened to the car during transport.
My car had some very tough white crud around the hood intakes, mirrors, and on the flanks. I wouldn't call it oxidation, but it might be what you're talking about. Before getting Xpel applied to the car, this stuff had to be removed by the detailer, and it took a few fairly aggressive swirl remover applications. The detailer said he believed it was a known Jaguar problem with the adhesive on the plastic covers used for shipping. In any case it's ok now except for a small unreachable (by the polishing machine) section under the driver's side mirror.

So even though your car was polished, it's possible a more aggressive paint repair step may be needed.

818 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:55 PM

you're right jim, it's a lot more work than i expected.

just left a detailer's shop, he says it's oxidation for sure, the chrome and aluminum bits are all damaged by the oxidation. he invoiced me $300 bucks to get the paint fixed correctly.

we also figured out my production date is january 2016, this means my car was sitting on a lot (likely uncovered) for over 6 months.

SA this friday, lets see what the dealer will do about this.
Originally Posted by Jim F
My car had some very tough white crud around the hood intakes, mirrors, and on the flanks. I wouldn't call it oxidation, but it might be what you're talking about. Before getting Xpel applied to the car, this stuff had to be removed by the detailer, and it took a few fairly aggressive swirl remover applications. The detailer said he believed it was a known Jaguar problem with the adhesive on the plastic covers used for shipping. In any case it's ok now except for a small unreachable (by the polishing machine) section under the driver's side mirror.

So even though your car was polished, it's possible a more aggressive paint repair step may be needed.

Last edited by 818; 03-25-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting. My car was built the same month, sat for the same amount of time.

818 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jim F
Interesting. My car was built the same month, sat for the same amount of time.
damn, that's really weird, yea JAGUAR lets see what they tell me at the dealer.

BTW my driver door is way off alignment . Pretty annoying.

Last edited by 818; 03-25-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 818
you're right jim, it's a lot more work than i expected.

just left a detailer's shop, he says it's oxidation for sure, the chrome and aluminum bits are all damaged by the oxidation. he invoiced me $300 bucks to get the paint fixed correctly.

we also figured out my production date is january 2016, this means my car was sitting on a lot (likely uncovered) for over 6 months.

SA this friday, lets see what the dealer will do about this.
What color is your car. Some colors are more susceptible to oxidation than others, but I would have thought the clear coat equalized them all.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Polaris White...

FYI BRG was my first choice.. but not available anywhere.

Except a 2016 in San Jose specs just like your car. They didn't want to lease it to me.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What color is your car. Some colors are more susceptible to oxidation than others, but I would have thought the clear coat equalized them all.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

[QUOTE=818;1645882]damn, that's really weird, yea JAGUAR lets see what they tell me at the dealer.

I would suggest that you go directly to JLRNA with your issue, only if you feel that it is bad enough and dealership intervention isn't at the right level, nor the fix being too aggressive as a result of the "sitting on the lot" issue. Not to knock the dealer that I don't even know....but I think that this sounds like a "borderline" serious paint fix, and if so, an option of contacting JLRNA is something to ultimately consider. I just don't feel that you should have to deal with this type of issue on a new vehicle. I had this issue with Audi many years ago, and got rid of the car as a result from "backsplash" spotting. It was so annoying and hard on my eyes to see every time I got into the vehicle. Also, my first F-Type 2015 S, had two chips like a snake bite on the rear right quarter panel. The dealer tried to fix this (as the sales guy said it was fixable). The fix resulted in two paint dimples because their paint guy screwed up the simple fix royally. The dealer said.....we can have "the panel" repainted at the body shop, like it was a non -event. I stated "wait a minute", this will ruin the value of the car on sale if they run a paint meter on this and determine that it was repainted. Didn't hear you say this was as bad...but this came first to mind for me when I read your post.

You need to see how much paint needs to be buffed out to get this right, who is doing it, the outcome you should expect etc. etc. Then make your go/no go decision and contact to higher authority if the "no go" is the result, in a matter of fact professional way.

Good Luck, and I feel for you, but in the end JLRNA are the folks that should be contacted if an aggressive fix is warranted, which isn't what a new vehicle should have to have done!

Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Slojota, thanks a million for the tips and encouragement.

Yes. It. REALLLY. Bugs. Me. Every. Time.

Attached Thumbnails Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-image.png  
Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 818

Good morning 818,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of your concerns.

Please kindly provide me with your vehicle and contact details via PM as I would be more than happy to forward this to the relevant market for further review.

Many thanks,
Amellia

Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So something that's been bothering me a little, but I'm not sure if it's actually an issue, and not sure if it's similar to what others have experienced. I know there have been some issues with the sound systems, but mine isn't nearly as bad as some of the reports here, and it's on the 770 Watt system ('17 R, so it's the default option). Whether the car goes into auto-off mode at a light or whatever, when it turns back on there's a noticeable amount of alternator whine for a few seconds. It goes away quickly, and it's possible I only notice it because I've always been susceptible to high pitched sounds. So is that normal or something I should ask the service department about?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lusiphur
So something that's been bothering me a little, but I'm not sure if it's actually an issue, and not sure if it's similar to what others have experienced. I know there have been some issues with the sound systems, but mine isn't nearly as bad as some of the reports here, and it's on the 770 Watt system ('17 R, so it's the default option). Whether the car goes into auto-off mode at a light or whatever, when it turns back on there's a noticeable amount of alternator whine for a few seconds. It goes away quickly, and it's possible I only notice it because I've always been susceptible to high pitched sounds. So is that normal or something I should ask the service department about?
I have never experienced that.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Never heard that either

Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have never experienced that.
Excellent. That gives me something else to bother the service manager about. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't sound like an idiot going in with issues that aren't really issues. Might be related to a slight buzz I hear from the a-pillar speakers at volumes over 25 or so.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lusiphur
Excellent. That gives me something else to bother the service manager about. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't sound like an idiot going in with issues that aren't really issues. Might be related to a slight buzz I hear from the a-pillar speakers at volumes over 25 or so.
if you are getting buzzing from the tweeters, you need to get the sound system update. Check out the "sound system finally fixed thread".

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I started getting a "Charging System" fault about a week ago. Reset the battery and had the CTEK doing its thing all week. Finally took it in, suspecting an alternator problem. Turns out, a valve cover gasket was leaking and dripping oil onto the alternator. Both now replaced. Also, has a clicking noise from the driver's side wheel. The problem was that the balance weights on the wheel were stacked just a bit too thick and were just barely hitting the brake caliper.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM

just got back from a test drive with the tech(first shift it slipped and he said OK!), approved the changes and the parts are being ordered today...

didnt even get a chance to check if the speaker update worked...

Old 04-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Has anyone ever had the "Jaguar" decal/lettering start to fall off? I noticed that the "J" was crooked a few days ago. It seems like the letter is about to fall off. I was able to affix it with a small dab of silicone. Seems kind of cheap if the lettering can't hold up to 20 months of use....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues