F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed

Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

+1 I really do prefer the look w/ the bar. When I see an F without, I'm reminded of a large-mouth bass.

However, nice job on the P7 grille install.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-07-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1 I really do prefer the look w/ the bar. When I see an F without, I'm reminded of a large-mouth bass.

However, nice job on the P7 grille install.
+1. I also like the look with the bar best. Maybe I just have gotten used to it and kind of "that's how the F-type is supposed to look"?

Old 08-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Looks good, but surprising not as dramatically better as I thought it would.
It would probably look more dramatic if his car wasn't black.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It would probably look more dramatic if his car wasn't black.
Or, might have been more impactful if the grill surround was a contrasting color/material. Loses something with the entire front end so monotone.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I looked for previous post dealing with this but couldn't find it.

I finally got my grille and surround installed. I gave rocspo's directions to the installer which were great and he made some changes.

1 Instead of cutting out old sensor mounts he made new ones. I measured the trapazoid opening and little wings and made a template on an index card which he used to cut grille mounts out of 3mm ABS sheet (found at local plastic supply) and drilled an 18mm hole in center. I would have rather used sensor mount brackets, but since I couldn't find them for that oblong sensor, he glued sensors directly to ABS. (Since then I found a BMW sensor mount that I think would have would have fit).

2 Instead of mounting sensors with connectors pointing inward, he pointed them outward in order to avoid having wiring exposed behind grille. He glued wires from sensors directly around trapezoids so they can not be seen, and they exit to the side of grille.

3 He then mounted wiring harness to run below grille, and then extended sensor wires to go below and around surround. Since sensor wires are not color coded, he colored them with different colored nail polish before he cut them. I thought the sensor wires looked to be about 24 gauge but couldn't find it locally and didn't have time to order it online (a company called NTE has it) so I found a couple old power supplys from a radio and an old router which I think is 24 gauge and he cut it up and spliced them in. They work!

As rocspo did, he removed styrofoam from behind original bumper, painted bumper behind grill and mounts flat black. He didn't glue mounts permanently until he calibrated them after reassembly.

Thanks to unhinged, rocspo, and ryan for all you help.

I have attached pictures which were taken in direct sunlight so the sensors look more noticeable. In regular light they are hardly noticeable.
I'm trying to find the thread for rocspo adjustments to the sensor trigger.

Can you provide a link?

The original posting must not have been his as I don't see it in a search of his postings and I'm at the shop.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

polarisnavyxj

Here it is:

I will do my best to describe the fabrication process, but I did not take any pictures during my installation so you'll just have to visualize it.
Step one: measure where the parking sensors are on the original Grill bar. You will want to mount them in as close to the original positions as possible to avoid calibration issues later.
Step two: find the corresponding positions on the new grill. The vertical positioning is more critical than the horizontal positioning, but neither have to be exact. You will be remounting the sensors in the middle of two of the grill openings, so find the two openings that most closely replicate the original positions. I marked them by surrounding them with blue painters tape. It's easy to get confused later on if you don't mark them.
Step three: fashion plastic templates that perfectly fit those two grill openings in the new grill. I designed mine so that they fit tight in the grill while being recessed in about 1/2 inch from the front edge of the grill. This makes them less noticeable.
Step four: drill holes in the centers of these finished templates. Make the holes the same diameter as the parking sensors. These templates will not be used on the actual installation. They will just be used to make copies of them in masking tape.
Step five: put masking tape over the finished templates and cut them out so that the tape is exactly the same size as the templates, including the holes in the middle.
To avoid unnecessary additional fabrication, you will be using the existing sensor mounts from the plastic bar on the new installation.
Step six: once you have removed the existing grill and grill bar, place the templates you made out of masking tape on the old grill bar, using the holes you made in the tape to align them perfectly with the holes on the grill bar for the sensors.
Step seven: using a saw or a Dremel Moto tool or whatever you like, cut out the sensor mounting holes from the black grill bar, using the tape as your guide. When finished, you should end up with two trapezoids with mounting holes in the middle of them that perfectly fit the two grill openings on the new grill.
Step eight: verify that these trapezoids fit the grill openings the way you'd like them to. Make any adjustments now before you reassemble everything.
Step nine: reassemble everything, making sure that the grill sensors are in the correct holes which you marked previously. DO NOT GLUE THEM in place yet!
Step ten: now it's time to align the sensors. Make sure the car is parked on a flat level surface. Find a shoebox or some other box you can use to replicate a curb. When aligning the sensors, it's a lot easier to move the curb than it is to move the car! Start the car and turn on the parking sensors. Unless you've got a really long box, you can only do one sensor at a time. Put the box directly in front of one of the sensors, a few feet in front of the car. Now slowly push the box toward the car until the parking sensor goes off. Use a broom stick or something similar from the front of the box to move the box so that you're sure it's the box that is setting off the sensor and not your leg! Adjust the angle of the sensor in the grill opening until the parking sensor goes off when you'd like it to. Once the sensor is aligned perfectly, glue it in place with clear, two-part five minute epoxy. This won't harm the paint, and is easily cleaned up if you make a little mistake. Recheck with the box to make sure everything is still in the perfect position. The curing time of the epoxy will give you time to make minor adjustments if necessary. Repeat the process for the second sensor.
Step eleven: once the epoxy has fully cured, paint over it with some gloss black paint.
Step twelve: (who knew this would be a 12-step program?). Enjoy your beautiful new grill.
Don't forget that you have to remove the cloth covered piece of Styrofoam behind the black grill bar for the new grill to fit. Also, you might want to paint everything behind the grill flat black so that you can't see it through the grill, especially on lighter colored cars.
This may not be the best way, and it's certainly not the only way, but it's the technique that worked for me.

The following 4 users liked this post by jleuz1:
Itismejoshy (01-04-2018), MaximA (10-13-2016), Mbourne (08-08-2016), Smoke Em (08-08-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job. How did you order the grill and surround? My Jag dealer can't/won't find the part numbers.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

gotta admit, it does look better!
And I don't mind a bumper bar at all

Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by msikorsk
Nice job. How did you order the grill and surround? My Jag dealer can't/won't find the part numbers.
I'm on travel now, but will hook you up when I get back on August 22 if you pm me. Even if you had the part numbers, the dealer won't sell you the parts unless you own a P7.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jleuz1
(Since then I found a BMW sensor mount that I think would have would have fit).
Can you provide a BMW part number?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Car looks great; I've really got to get on putting mine in......may have to wait until winter now though.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 08-10-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Can you provide a BMW part number?

Here are the parking sensor mount brackets I was looking at as they look to be the oblong type. You would have to take your sensor in to a dealer to make sure the sensor fit properly.

VW 3C8-919-494-D

BMW 51117128241

The only one I could find for a Jaguar that wasn't factory mounted with glue was for the XF and possibly it could be modified.

C2Z11529

Google the part numbers to see what they look like.

Last edited by jleuz1; 08-10-2016 at 01:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Great help!! Thanks!

Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks amazing! Definitely on my wish list for the new R. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

Paramount has one of these in the works. Not cheap but they typically do nice work: https://www.paramount-performance.co...r-replica.html

The following 3 users liked this post by enderle:
Dremorg (09-02-2016), dwmilton (04-08-2022), jleuz1 (09-02-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

....far cheaper to get the actual P7 parts...

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Itismejoshy (01-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

Doubt it, I'm guessing you have priced new Jaguar parts recently. But the kit is the entire nose including the bumper cover.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I missed that it was the cone too. I just bought the Jaguar P7 grill and surround which was pretty cheap.

Dave

Old 09-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
Paramount has one of these in the works. Not cheap but they typically do nice work: https://www.paramount-performance.co...r-replica.html

Cool. It's about time. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the sensors and the wiring harness. I wonder if you will be able to just buy the surround
and the grille? Keep us advised.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

jleuz1, can you tell me where did you buy the grill?

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed