F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Reading threads about people screwing with your ride just because it is nice is unacceptable.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Having been with my share of nutcases in my life I can relate to the worst types of parking nightmares.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Having been with my share of nutcases in my life I can relate to the worst types of parking nightmares.

is that your car???!

Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

No. There are several examples of such wrath on the internet though.

Long ago I had a friend who got a brick through his windshield and sugar poured in his gas tank by a girl he dated just once. Oh, she let the air out of the tires also via the stems - prob too dumb to know how to use a knife.

Funny ones are those where the idiot female mistakes someone else's car for that of their unfaithful bf/spouse.

I say female because this is a female to male offense 99.9% of the time.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 01-09-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Man, that brings back memories. About 10 years ago I had a beautiful sonic blue Mustang GT convertible, the color just glowed under artificial light. My ex wife went to town on that thing one day. I sold the car and got rid of the wife.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
This b.stard keys an Aston.
Good reason to have a Dashcam. The git was spared jail because he had bred...ie had a child.
https://youtu.be/nMwimoM-C6k
By chance, does anyone know what camera this is? It is running while the vehicle is off. I would like to get something like this.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood
By chance, does anyone know what camera this is? It is running while the vehicle is off. I would like to get something like this.
Many Dashcams have parking mode. BLackvue/Thinkware/DDpai etc but you have to fit a battery pack to stop the camera running down the main battery, or a voltage cut off device. These are available and easy to fit. Parking mode gives a choice of taking a frame every few seconds and then merging the images or when the car is bumped or when there is movement in front of the camera. Lots of info on YouTube.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

TechMoan is the authority on Dashcam reviews on YouTube.

I've been running Mobius cameras for 2-3 years and they have been great.

This is the current best one for the money right now:

Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

I bought a few dashcams last month. One of the most confusing markets because there are only a handful of brand names that anyone has ever heard of and then when you start digging into it, you find the same cameras sold under multiple silly sounding names direct from China, where they're virtually all from. But there are so many different features, a wide array of sizes, a dizzying array of mounting configurations and competing technologies that it will make your head spin. Most require you to buy a separate memory chip. You can choose how many Mb storage (translates into hours of video), but you have make sure to get a compatible chip. But they're cheap enough, I wound up buying two different types just to try out. I have nothing to report yet on my experiments.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, as for the parking anxiety. I have it big time. People are idiots in parking lots. The only positive I have found is since owning my F-Type I care less about my other cars:-/ I'll park them anywhere now...
As for cameras. I am going to use 3 wireless Blink cameras, on self made mount I stick up when parking for very long, looking out the front and sides, motion activated, with the hub in the trunk plugged in to a UPS. Testing it in the next 2 days. Don't F with my F-Type.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 AM

I understand wanting to discourage jerks from screwing with your ride, but I feel a camera is a limited deterrent. If you get video of someone screwing with your car, then what? Unless it is someone you know, how will you identify them?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people that do this kind of stuff do near their own home. Also people that do this kind of stuff probably have done stupid stuff before and got busted at some point. You turn the video over to police and you improve finding, and making them pay, by about 20,000 percent. Ask a police officer the difference in chances of catching a vandal with vs without video proof. I would both have them arrested and press charges.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

HalcyonDays -

There are more advantages to them, but also consider the 1080/1440 also can easily read a license plate, etc. I don't believe they are much of a deterrent though since most of them would go unnoticed.

All I know is my $100 Mobius saved me a $290 ticket last year when a cop said I was yapping on my mobile phone - he had a long diatribe/false story to the judge - then I whipped out my notebook and the officer had egg on his face in front of a crowd of fellow courtroom attendees.

GPS will also protect you from false claims of speeding. Let's face it; cops lie or at least they definitely mixed up their facts.

If some texting idiot staggers and falls walking off a curb into your car and then claims you were wreckless etc - that $150 camera is going to save your butt.

NO ONE in my humble opinion in today's sue happy society should drive without a dash cam, period. People spend hundreds of dollars for insurance that will not be enough - but won't spring for $150? - simply shortsighted.

Add to all that the pleasure principle of recording a road trip and the geek factor of pressing a button on your dash for snapshots of odd things. Dashcams are geek fun.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 01-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
HalcyonDays -

There are more advantages to them, but also consider the 1080/1440 also can easily read a license plate, etc. I don't believe they are much of a deterrent though since most of them would go unnoticed.

All I know is my $100 Mobius saved me a $290 ticket last year when a cop said I was yapping on my mobile phone - he had a long diatribe/false story to the judge - then I whipped out my notebook and the officer had egg on his face in front of a crowd of fellow courtroom attendees.

GPS will also protect you from false claims of speeding. Let's face it; cops lie or at least they definitely mixed up their facts.

If some texting idiot staggers and falls walking off a curb into your car and then claims you were wreckless etc - that $150 camera is going to save your butt.

NO ONE in my humble opinion in today's sue happy society should drive without a dash cam, period. People spend hundreds of dollars for insurance that will not be enough - but won't spring for $150? - simply shortsighted.

Add to all that the pleasure principle of recording a road trip and the geek factor of pressing a button on your dash for snapshots of odd things. Dashcams are geek fun.

I think you made very good points. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shredder
Most people that do this kind of stuff do near their own home. Also people that do this kind of stuff probably have done stupid stuff before and got busted at some point. You turn the video over to police and you improve finding, and making them pay, by about 20,000 percent. Ask a police officer the difference in chances of catching a vandal with vs without video proof. I would both have them arrested and press charges.
I understand your desire to protect your property, but stopping and/or catching a vandal is unfortunately slim to none where I live since the cops are overwhelmed by serious crime.

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 01-12-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredder
+1 Foolproof? of course not. Better than nothing? You bet your azz. ...20,000 times more effective? sure, sounds scientific enough for me! LOL

Cheers,
Dave

Old 01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

great points justifying a dashcam.
although i hate ruining the look of my interior with a wire going from the dash cam to whatever power supply it comes with. and no, im not savvy enough to open up the interior components to conceal it.
i don't think this dash cam is totally wireless. wonder if any of them are

Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

you only need to look at any of the dash cam videos on the internet to realise that they certainly have their use.

We fitted one after seeing the idiot that keyed the Aston Martin

we fitted a blackvue with two cameras, works well and video quality is excellent

Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet
you only need to look at any of the dash cam videos on the internet to realise that they certainly have their use.

We fitted one after seeing the idiot that keyed the Aston Martin

we fitted a blackvue with two cameras, works well and video quality is excellent
Any pics of installation? Particularly rear camera, thanks.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Hiya

should be able to get some pics tomorrow for you hopefully

The following users liked this post:
malbec (01-17-2017)