F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Issue...please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Seat Issue...please help.

ok, so I wanted you guys' help with a possible issue with the driver seat adjustment buttons on my new ftype S.
So the horizontal seat adjustor button on the driver side seems to not be working properly. Normally the seat moves forwards/backwards continuously for as long as you hold the button. In my case, even if i hold it forward/backward the seat only moves an inch at a time or so. therefore i have to repeatedly keep pressing it forward to move a substantial distance. There is no issue with the lumbar, bolster, back adjustment buttons nor is there any issue on the passenger side.
I actually picked this problem up while the dealer was in the car with me giving me the rundown and i asked him what the hell was going on and he had no clue. he said he would have a mechanic down early next week to check it out, but i wanted your thoughts on this.
anyone experienced a similar problem? any ideas what could be the problem?
as always, thanks in advance for your input/advice.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

What happens with the passenger side?

Old 09-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
What happens with the passenger side?
no problems with passenger side whatsoever. works fine.
thoughts?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Wonder if the Seat Control Unit is picking up a 'Jam' message.

Check that there is nothing underneath or anything (new plastic wrap) that can foul the motion.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
Wonder if the Seat Control Unit is picking up a 'Jam' message.

Check that there is nothing underneath or anything (new plastic wrap) that can foul the motion.
hmm..good idea. will do and reply later tonight

Old 09-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by diablomkii
hmm..good idea. will do and reply later tonight
ok so I tried looking under the seat and running my fingers along the rail on which the seat moves and there is literally no space for my fingers and you can't see jack. still no clue what could be causing this issue. hope it's nothing major

Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Try raising it vertically, as high as it goes, and then try the forward/backward motion to see if it does the same thing.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

I've had something similar. Took it to the dealer. Turns out the seat control switches were faulty. Ordered a new one. Good as new. 1 day turn around.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I've had something similar. Took it to the dealer. Turns out the seat control switches were faulty. Ordered a new one. Good as new. 1 day turn around.
thanks!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by diablomkii
ok so I tried looking under the seat and running my fingers along the rail on which the seat moves and there is literally no space for my fingers and you can't see jack. still no clue what could be causing this issue. hope it's nothing major
If you run the seat all the way forward, then tilt the back of the seat forward, you will be able to access the floor from behind, enough to take a peak underneath.

It won't be anything major, the main component, the motor is working, albeit intermittently, to me, it sounds like it is getting 'stiff' or jammed in the fwd/aft movement, which usually results in the seat backing up a little, until the jam is removed, or a knackered limit switch.

It may need a seat calibration routine run, this can be done at the dealer.

Last edited by Tel; 09-14-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Carp spooling.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
If you run the seat all the way forward, then tilt the back of the seat forward, you will be able to access the floor from behind, enough to take a peak underneath.

It won't be anything major, the main component, the motor is working, albeit intermittently, to me, it sounds like it is getting 'stiff' or jammed in the fwd/aft movement, which usually results in the seat backing up a little, until the jam is removed, or a knackered limit switch.

It may need a seat calibration routine run, this can be done at the dealer.
ok so I followed your tips and there is nothing physician on the rail that would be jamming the to/fro motion. at least nothing I could see. and I discovered that also the seat up/down movement works intermittently which is controlled by the same button. I think the button may be bad. took a pic just to confirm which button is causing me this headache lol

Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, the fact that up/down as well as forward/backward are intermittent certainly implicates the switch.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Tel

The switch is 'switching' (Momentary on/off) though, and all the controls i.e up/dn bk/fwd ARE apparently getting the switching signal, which leads me to think that it is something downstream, i.e limit/foul false signal. These are all handled/interpolated by the Seat Control Module.

In any case, you have done pretty much everything you can do at home. The dealer, I'm sure will be able to read the DTC and replace the culprit.

Keep us posted, be interested to know what the cause is.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

But if the switch is faulty and only intermittently sending power downstream, it's more likely as simple as a bad switch with faulty contacts. I have seen many different types of switches on different devices that have behaved in this fashion prior to failing completely

Absent other data, I'm going with Ockham's razor (aka the "law of parsimony) every time. We also have another owner report of a bad switch causing the same symptoms reported by the OP.