F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some initial questions to modify Base coupe to improve

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some initial questions to modify Base coupe to improve

Hi folks, I've done the inrto elsewhere already, so wanted to dive in and ask a few questions.

I'm looking at a Base AT, and having come from a relatively low tech SLK (no PDC, no backup camera, no blind spot etc) i had accepted the base is a low spec, I figured I could go aftermarket to improve some of the shortfalls this time..

The wife will drive this, and the longer nose, huge blindspots I'm thinking I need to mitigate some parking frustrations for her too.

Also I'd like to improve the looks a little, so some questions around that.

I've been lurking so have but have more questions than answers! Sorry for the wall of text...

1. NavTv front and rear back up camera or Pearl rear only? Anyone tried both and have any positive / negatives for both? I'm a little leery about the $500 pearl hanging off the back regardless of the security screws etc. if it's just so much better than the navtv then I'd weigh up the cost / benefit/ risk / hassle factors differently.

2. Which cameras did you guys buy for the navtv?

3. I'd like to use the oem cameras from jag, including drilling the rear bumper....would they work with Navtv? Anyone know how much the oem units are?

4. How much to buy exterior window trim black out kit from a dealer? Is plasti-dipping a good route for gloss black?- any how to guides to removing the exterior trims? I've seen the side vents and bonnet vents come out pretty easily.

5. Can the black trim pieces on the base rear bumper and front bumper be successfully wrapped or plasti dipped in high gloss black?

6. Typical cost for a high quality rear window tint and the rear windows? Can the rear window be done in one piece?

7. Can the rear view mirror / overhead light assembly be easily removed to tap power for a dash cam/radar...Is it just easier to run in a pillar to fuse box?

8. Can the rear center cubby from the vert be retrofitted into the coupe? Any idea on cost of the pieces? The "bucket" in the coupe is next to useless!

Thank you for the guidance!

The following users liked this post:
Sje1974 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I can help with questions 6. and 7.
I had my rear and side windows tinted (front tint is illegal in Oz), the total cost was quite reasonable, and yes the rear was done as one piece.
The light console is easy to remove, just lever it out with trim removal tools, but the clips are quite stiff. However it seems the lights are LED and I could find no way to access them, the back of the console is sealed solid and try as I might I could not remove the front cover.

Coopersjag (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 06:44 PM

Hi Oz, thanks for the quick reply and info. May I ask how much your tint install came to? Sorry I see you are Australia, I'm California -never mind!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Tint cost me $280AU, which is around $220US.

Coopersjag (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

For item 5: yes those pieces can be wrapped for not too much. I actually went the other direction by wrapping those gloss black pieces on my V6S with a matte black film. Where are you located? Maybe we should just swap parts.

Coopersjag (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 PM

Hi unhingd, I'm in California. I'll be getting a lease so returning it to stock is important. I'll hit you up though if I decide a straight swap is the way to go

Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Hello Unhinged, I'm intrigued by your idea of wrapping those pieces in matte black. Do you mind sharing some pictures of those parts together with your car? Thank you.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hwa23
Hello Unhinged, I'm intrigued by your idea of wrapping those pieces in matte black. Do you mind sharing some pictures of those parts together with your car? Thank you.
I'll take some close-up pics tomorrow.

hwa23 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think vision aids are a must on coupe, blind spots are especially bad when changing lanes or backing out of a parking spot... I wouldn't order F-type without it. Just pay little bit extra to get it - it is worthwhile for both enjoyment and resale value of your car.

Last edited by SinF; 02-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Hi Sin -I'm leasing, and as much as I want to spend more, I can't justify it to go premium with vision :/

But if anyone reckons premium '17 models are going to improve on lease terms or can quote a brilliant lease for premium v6 models I'm all ears!

What I have found out is the oem rear camera is approx $500 new - stuff that!! Navtv or pearl is looking more likely atm...

Last edited by Coopersjag; 02-20-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I could probably get by without "vision" on the coupe but not so sure on the convertible when the roof is up, losing those rear quarter lights to look over your shoulder is a big one.

For me the issue was Jaguar lumping it in with a bunch of other stuff instead of making it a line item of its own. That turned me off leasing and I was lucky to find a one owner optioned up Premium coupe which I decided to buy instead. The only thing I would probably have ticked the box for which mine doesn't have is the "pimento" seat belts ;-)

Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a convertible without the vision pack. Took a short while to get used to the dimensions (especially the long nose) however now have zero problems, am completely familiar with the size and visibility.

Vision pack would of course be nice but it's not really an absolute essential that you can't do without in my view.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Although I'd quite like it, I personally can do without the vision and blindspot monitoring but the wife would have more trouble without them, especially as she would be an occasional user. The SLK we had got some otherwise avoidable front splitter damage (parking curb), and the nose on the F is much further away and harder to gauge.

Agreed re the annoying practice of packaging up of the most useful tech options, but that goes for every car marque these days...interestingly Jag is going the route of Porsche in 2018 ordering, where a la carte is possible, but at a ridiculous premium (I'm predicting).,,

Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

"Jag is going the route of Porsche in 2018 ordering, where a la carte is possible, but at a ridiculous premium" - isn't that the truth! I decided that the one I wanted wasn't worth 18,000 more than a Base to me.

I got the NavTV front and rear setup for about $1300 installed - the day after I backed into a lady in a parking lot. Helps to the rear and helps you avoid killing the front spoiler, but doesn't help get the car into parking spots - too wide angle. You can run the front camera while you drive for giggles.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by FullChat
"Jag is going the route of Porsche in 2018 ordering, where a la carte is possible, but at a ridiculous premium" - isn't that the truth! I decided that the one I wanted wasn't worth 18,000 more than a Base to me.

I got the NavTV front and rear setup for about $1300 installed - the day after I backed into a lady in a parking lot. Helps to the rear and helps you avoid killing the front spoiler, but doesn't help get the car into parking spots - too wide angle. You can run the front camera while you drive for giggles.
So navtv DIDNT help you see someone/thing behind you when reversing? Eek

Of course no camera is a substitute for looking, looking and looking again....and looking a little bit more. I'd like to keep the car body from unnecessary accidental user error. Maybe navtv front and pearl for the back...but that means using head unit and iPhone all the time...which is cumbersome to say the least.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopersjag
So navtv DIDNT help you see someone/thing behind you when reversing? Eek.
He said he had it installed the day after he didn't see someone. So it didn't help because it wasn't installed yet.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

....sigh....technology; I guess we all get spoiled....hopefully not to the point where all these electronic aids supplant actual driving skill, good practice and paying attention. My DD is a 1 ton, quad cab, dually, 4x4, diesel, 6spd......no cameras and I've not backed over anyone yet! I can't imagine needing these visual aids on a tiny sportscar.....not saying they're bad, but not convinced they are 100% necessary either. In fact, when I install my P7 grill, I think I'm going to remove/disable my front parking sensors.

Dave

Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....hopefully not to the point where all these electronic aids supplant actual driving skill, good practice and paying attention.
Sorry, Dave. That ship has already sailed for most drivers.

DPelletier (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

The day I need lane drift alert is the day I should turn in my license ;-)

Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I personally like a certain level of idiot checks installed in the car. This way I don't have to **** bricks when other people borrow my cars.

Personally, I'd have these connected to a cattle prod embedded in the driver's seat... but I will take flashing light a ding ding warning.

Quick Reply: Some initial questions to modify Base coupe to improve