F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealth start-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Stealth start-ups?

Is there any solution (engine control brain flash, etc) to make cold startups less annoying? I love the fact that the car gets loud under hard acceleration, but I personally hate the obnoxious rev and growl on cold starts. I leave for work early in the morning and my daughter's room which is right over the garage and driveway takes the brunt of the howling F-Type V8 cold start. My neighbors certainly must think that I am a complete tool. Plus, there is no sneaking out of the office on the early side, since every single person with an office facing the parking lot knows exactly when I push the "START" button.

ANYWAY, is there a way to get a quiet first start? I know the car is capable of it, since the super-irritating "start/stop" fuel saver feature starts very quietly. Anybody found a way to have the startup sequence re-programmed to remove the growling rev run? I can't believe Jaguar wouldn't enable a way to turn this off so we can all be as juvenile or grown up as we want, when we want.

The following users liked this post:
Suaro (01-27-2018)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Youn

ANYWAY, is there a way to get a quiet first start?
I think there is very easily. This works on my V6S.
1. Get in the car and push the start button without putting your foot on the brake.
2. All the instruments will come to life as if the engine had started and will settle back down again.
3. Double check that Dynamic mode is no longer engaged from your last drive.
4. Push the start button again to turn off the ignition.
5. Now push the start button a 3rd time with your foot on the brake for a quiet first start.
Might work on the V8.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

My V8S barks on the first start in the morning. No other time during the day does is bark when it starts. It doesn't sound like high revs either, just a loud, glorious bark. My neighbors probably don't like it, but I've conditioned them over the years with bikes, chainsaws and broken exhausts on other cars.

Mpowerr (03-26-2017)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I can't believe Jaguar wouldn't enable a way to turn this off so we can all be as juvenile or grown up as we want, when we want.
That is SO funny. I never brought this up because I thought I would catch hell. But we're living somewhere for a renovation, and these people are not happy people in general, and my 5.15a start time is likely as annoying as the entire 15 minutes of trash pickup on Thursday.

We're dignified executives, and if we want to be able to come and go without fanfare, I might suggest we deserve it. =)

The "3rd time's a charm" thing didn't work for me... but I literally though Unhinged was going to make a joke about push starting it. LOL

Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I think there is very easily. This works on my V6S.
1. Get in the car and push the start button without putting your foot on the brake.
2. All the instruments will come to life as if the engine had started and will settle back down again.
3. Double check that Dynamic mode is no longer engaged from your last drive.
4. Push the start button again to turn off the ignition.
5. Now push the start button a 3rd time with your foot on the brake for a quiet first start.
Might work on the V8.
I found all the above works on my 2115 R, except #4.
My list would look like this:
1. Push the Start Button without putting your foot on the brake to start the Accessory Controls without starting the engine.
2. Double check that Dynamic Mode is no longer engaged from your last drive.
3. Double check that Active Exhaust is not enabled from your last drive.
4. Now, put your foot on the Brake and push the Start Button a 2nd time to start the engine with a quieter cold start.

As an additional help, I have definitely found that the morning start has some residual carry-over from how you last drove the car before parking for the evening. If you lead-footed your way home in dynamic mode for the last 5 miles and roared into your garage, it would seem this leaves excess residual fuel in the cylinders or exhaust that become explosive fodder for the next mornings' start. Conversely, if I have a leisurely drive home, in regular Drive mode and without racing the engine, much... the morning starts are more mellow...

Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I find its entirely dependent on how cold the engine is. Left overnight it is at its loudest (doesn't start in dynamic as that disengages after the car is left for a few hours).

Warm starts are a lot less noisy, and of course eco stop / start has no flaring of revs at all as was mentioned by the OP.

No combination of using the start button without putting my foot on the brake as described in posts above works for me - it flares the revs and makes a racket from cold starts whatever I do.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
I found all the above works on my 2115 R, except #4.
My list would look like this:
1. Push the Start Button without putting your foot on the brake to start the Accessory Controls without starting the engine.
2. Double check that Dynamic Mode is no longer engaged from your last drive.
3. Double check that Active Exhaust is not enabled from your last drive.
4. Now, put your foot on the Brake and push the Start Button a 2nd time to start the engine with a quieter cold start.

As an additional help, I have definitely found that the morning start has some residual carry-over from how you last drove the car before parking for the evening. If you lead-footed your way home in dynamic mode for the last 5 miles and roared into your garage, it would seem this leaves excess residual fuel in the cylinders or exhaust that become explosive fodder for the next mornings' start. Conversely, if I have a leisurely drive home, in regular Drive mode and without racing the engine, much... the morning starts are more mellow...
Your steps 1-4 are a far better description of what works for me. My original suggestion to shut everything down again before restarting is not necessary.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there any solution (engine control brain flash, etc) to make cold startups less annoying? I love the fact that the car gets loud under hard acceleration, but I personally hate the obnoxious rev and growl on cold starts. I leave for work early in the morning and my daughter's room which is right over the garage and driveway takes the brunt of the howling F-Type V8 cold start. My neighbors certainly must think that I am a complete tool. Plus, there is no sneaking out of the office on the early side, since every single person with an office facing the parking lot knows exactly when I push the "START" button.

ANYWAY, is there a way to get a quiet first start? I know the car is capable of it, since the super-irritating "start/stop" fuel saver feature starts very quietly. Anybody found a way to have the startup sequence re-programmed to remove the growling rev run? I can't believe Jaguar wouldn't enable a way to turn this off so we can all be as juvenile or grown up as we want, when we want.
Yes there is a way to get more control over the active exhaust. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about this very subject which got hijacked in the very first reply to be about controlling the rear spoiler. Like ek993, UNHINGD's start-up sequence has no effect on my start-up noise because the cold start is controlled by the ECU. You need a controller to over ride that, which is in my previous post. Check out the thread and the first person that works with Steve Bisel at Forsa to fit the controller on the F Type would probably get a very nice discount. Plus it's not expensive any way.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...xhaust-167276/

jaguny (03-26-2017)
Old 08-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

These suggestions are all well and good, but I think the more appropriate fix is to buy a new home and soundproof your office. One must have priorities after all.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneB
Yes there is a way to get more control over the active exhaust. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about this very subject which got hijacked in the very first reply to be about controlling the rear spoiler. Like ek993, UNHINGD's start-up sequence has no effect on my start-up noise because the cold start is controlled by the ECU. You need a controller to over ride that, which is in my previous post. Check out the thread and the first person that works with Steve Bisel at Forsa to fit the controller on the F Type would probably get a very nice discount. Plus it's not expensive any way.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...xhaust-167276/
I do not believe my methodology could ever affect the exhaust valving. It merely eliminates the cold start-up over-revving. Since the valves are vacuum actuated, no controller will be able to hold the valves shut at start-up (no vacuum available until engine settles down to build it).

Old 08-30-2016, 03:03 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Unless yours has been modded, the vacuum comes from an electric pump dedicated to active exhaust. Seems ludicrous to me, though they may be concerned about running a vacuum line from the engine back to the muffler.

But you knew that...

Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Unless yours has been modded, the vacuum comes from an electric pump dedicated to active exhaust. Seems ludicrous to me, though they may be concerned about running a vacuum line from the engine back to the muffler.

But you knew that...
That pump was eliminated on the 16+ models.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:05 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Doh! You knew that too. On our older cars, wouldn't be impossible to power the pump and solenoid before starting.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I do not believe my methodology could ever affect the exhaust valving. It merely eliminates the cold start-up over-revving. Since the valves are vacuum actuated, no controller will be able to hold the valves shut at start-up (no vacuum available until engine settles down to build it).
That's mostly true. But I have tried your start-up method and on my 14 V8S, it has no effect. It always starts with the full roar when cold. early model cars have a vacuum pump and with your starting method the add-on controller may give you a full muffled start. I believe later model cars use engine vacuum and you're right, the car will bark on start-up until the vacuum builds (not sure how long that takes). One way to test a full muffled start on a V8 would be to block off the outer flow thru pipes and start the car.
The controller is not for everyone in the same way removing the resonator and putting on straight pipes is not for everyone. It's just an inexpensive way to gain a little more control over what the exhaust does and when.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:15 PM

I tried the start button / no brake then start button with brake method again this morning to be double sure (checking I wasn't in dynamic before hitting start the second time) - no help whatsoever, it performed a full noisy start.

Car is a '14 V8S

Old 08-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
I tried the start button / no brake then start button with brake method again this morning to be double sure (checking I wasn't in dynamic before hitting start the second time) - no help whatsoever, it performed a full noisy start.

Car is a '14 V8S
Yep, same here. No difference unfortunately. Oh well, I guess until somebody comes up with a software flash solution I will continue to be Mr. Loudstart. I do really think Jaguar overdid this. I used to have a twin turbo 335i BMW that gave a terrific rev run on startup but it was not even close to the "LOOK AT ME!" wail from my V8S F-Type.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Yep, same here. No difference unfortunately. Oh well, I guess until somebody comes up with a software flash solution I will continue to be Mr. Loudstart. I do really think Jaguar overdid this. I used to have a twin turbo 335i BMW that gave a terrific rev run on startup but it was not even close to the "LOOK AT ME!" wail from my V8S F-Type.
Totally agree - I use mine as a daily driver and am sure that after 2 and half years of noisy starts every morning my neighbors must be well and truly fed up with me !

Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Totally agree - I use mine as a daily driver and am sure that after 2 and half years of noisy starts every morning my neighbors must be well and truly fed up with me !
personally Im glad its there, its kept my 20yr old son from sneaking it out of the garage at night.

Steve Youn (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

We've had threads on this before, and the procedures posted then and now don't work...

Per the old threads and my own experience, it seems to be totally dependent upon whether the engine is warm or cold and also the time since the last start. I've found nothing will tame the bark on a cold start or on a car that's not been started for a while. The second and subsequent starts right after a cold start or a start with an already warm engine will be much more muted.

I suspect some of these procedures were tested after doing a loud cold start, turning the engine off, following the steps listed and restarting. It seems to me to be a placebo... That restart would have been more muted whether you followed the steps or not...

Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Doesn't spare your fam, but you can always spare the neighbors by leaving the garage door down for the initial salvo.

Quick Reply: Stealth start-ups?