F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Tire Ambient Temp Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Summer Tire Ambient Temp Question

OK...so I live in southern California where Temperature is mostly mild..above 50 degrees F. Even in So Cal we can get mornings in the high 30's. On very rare occasions, I"m in the high 20 degree range in lower mountain elevations. My F-Type is my one and only...and my daily driver. I"m curious as to drivers with more summer tire experience than my self...to what degree have you been affected by the "glass transition" of summer tires...where Tire Rack says between 40-40 degrees, the rubber changes properties and looses traction? and If during those rare low temp episodes I can get away with driving slow and easy... or not. I have P-Zero's on now, but would like to eventually switch to MPSS. Michelin also has the equivalent in "all season"..would this be a better choice for me? I mostly enjoy 'Canyon Carving" and spirited when safe to do so driving. I'm not looking to trim seconds off of track times :-) I'm also interested in the better wet grip of summer tires, since we get a fair amount of rain...at least lately :-)
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Cheers
CRS

Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

We have similar temperature conditions in coastal North Carolina. I did a lot of questioning when I had a Porsche with summer tires and the pretty uniform response was that if you take it easy on summer tires in temps 20+ you won't have a problem, especially after the tires warm up. Don't try any spirited driving when it is that cold. There are other trade-offs with All Season tires that you may regret when you really want the Jaguar to roar in warmer weather.
I haven't had a single tense moment on summer tires in our brief cold spells.
Larry

The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
OK...so I live in southern California where Temperature is mostly mild..above 50 degrees F. Even in So Cal we can get mornings in the high 30's. On very rare occasions, I"m in the high 20 degree range in lower mountain elevations. My F-Type is my one and only...and my daily driver. I"m curious as to drivers with more summer tire experience than my self...to what degree have you been affected by the "glass transition" of summer tires...where Tire Rack says between 40-40 degrees, the rubber changes properties and looses traction? and If during those rare low temp episodes I can get away with driving slow and easy... or not. I have P-Zero's on now, but would like to eventually switch to MPSS. Michelin also has the equivalent in "all season"..would this be a better choice for me? I mostly enjoy 'Canyon Carving" and spirited when safe to do so driving. I'm not looking to trim seconds off of track times :-) I'm also interested in the better wet grip of summer tires, since we get a fair amount of rain...at least lately :-)
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Cheers
CRS
i have the PZero and don't drive below 40F due to loss of grip and potential to crack. I am also looking at the Michelin PSS AS as my next tire. Looking forward to hearing from others who have experience with them. Tire rack likes them.

CRS 123 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
We have similar temperature conditions in coastal North Carolina. I did a lot of questioning when I had a Porsche with summer tires and the pretty uniform response was that if you take it easy on summer tires in temps 20+ you won't have a problem, especially after the tires warm up. Don't try any spirited driving when it is that cold. There are other trade-offs with All Season tires that you may regret when you really want the Jaguar to roar in warmer weather.
I haven't had a single tense moment on summer tires in our brief cold spells.
Larry
Thank you. Real life experience is what I was looking for, so I appreciate your feedback :-)
CRS

Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I live in the Northeast with a V8S and as long as it isn't snowing or raining will drive the car in sub 20deg weather. No issues as long as you take it easy.

CRS 123 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
I live in the Northeast with a V8S and as long as it isn't snowing or raining will drive the car in sub 20deg weather. No issues as long as you take it easy.
+1 in Maryland. Was driving fairly aggressively this morning on PSSs in the high 20's. Not nearly as much traction as when above 50, but not dangerous. I've driven both PSS's and P-zeros extensively in freezing weather. Just pay attention.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Thank you ek993 and Unhingd for taking the time to help me out.
Cheers
CRS

Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

This November I drove 2.5 hours in 25-29 degree F temperatures on the oem summer tires. Highway driving in hilly terrain, with frost. I took it easy and there was not a lot of traffic. I don't know how tires would respond with a quick manuveur . I test drove f types in winter 20 degree weather. Doesn't inspire confidence due to the conventional wisdom. The real test would be to push the car somewhere in a safe location to truly test the limits. I worry about frosty patches on bridges, overpasses and the like.

Also my tires were under 5k miles, not worn at all.

CRS 123 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I keep summer tires on my car year round and like you use the F-Type as my daily driver. I've never had a problem driving the F-Type even in the high 20s, low 30s. I just drive somewhat cautiously and account for the fact that I won't have particularly good grip if I need to make a sudden maneuver.

However, if it's icy.. I stay indoors or take uber/lyft. Summer tires and ice is a very very very bad combination.

CRS 123 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I probably wouldn't use Dynamic when it's cold. Less throttle response is a good thing, in that case.

CRS 123 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I probably wouldn't use Dynamic when it's cold. Less throttle response is a good thing, in that case.
Agreed. Easy does it :-)
CRS

Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Use the snowflake.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried the snow mode a couple of times - it is a very unpleasant experience that saps the car of any life. Better to just drive with a light foot or If living in the cold and snowy north, get snowtires and drive it like an F type

Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

My AWD XE goes bonkers in under 40 temps. These 20" Pirelli's will kill me i the Winter in NJ.