F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove new V6S 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Test drove new V6S 6MT

Let me preface this post by first noting that the new F-type is perhaps the most beautiful new sports car available today. I have never owned a car for myself with an automatic transmission, and as great as they are now, I still want a sports car with a manual. So I drove a brand new V6S with a manual last week. Some impressions. The car is gorgeous from any angle. The car is fast as hell, and louder than that. Too much so for my taste. Most importantly, coming from a 2004 C4S with a short throw 6 speed and my current 3.2V6 Audi TT s-line with a short throw 6 speed, the linkage and feel to the shifter in the F-type didn't compare with the feel of either of those cars - although all 3 cars have a different feel. Even the '65 e-type I had several years ago had such a wonderful feel to the shifter and clutch, so different from the F-type. I also really did not like the abrupt catch of the clutch in mid-travel in the new F-type. Perhaps something I would need to get used to, but I was less than enamored with the combination of the vague feel of the shifter coupled with the difficult clutch. Plus, the car with all of 140 miles on the ODO had some dash rattles, which to me is unacceptable in a $90K car. I need to reflect on this, and probably drive another one to make my mind up. I'm going to drive a new Boxster S - not nearly as quick and a very different car, but I may just be hooked on German cars. More to come.....

Old 09-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I'm going to drive a new Boxster S - not nearly as quick and a very different car, but I may just be hooked on German cars. More to come.....
I'm also a German car fan, and I test drove the Boxster S and F-Type V6S RWD back to back on the same day. They are very different cars. To me the Boxster S felt more planted in the corners, but not as quick. Had a bit of a go-cart feel to it. The Boxster is unfortunately nowhere near as attractive as the F-Type though. The Cayman is a looker, but the Boxster is a bit dull. The drop top is a requirement for me though so the Cayman wasn't on my final list. A 911 Carrera 4S Cabrio (997) was also test driven, and I really liked the way it drove, but didn't like the look.

I also had my wife test drive the Boxster and F-Type, and she liked the F-Type a lot more... in terms of look and comfort behind the wheel. She doesn't care about the performance. So, while I was a bit split between the F-Type V6S and Boxster GTS, she pushed me over the edge to the F-Type. Was planning on a V6S but the FTR was available, in convertible trim and the right color and just sitting there waiting for me. After the test drive I was sold.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Two things

Firstly dash rattle is unusual, I would definitely try another car, I get some rattles from the suspension and hood components sometimes but not from the cabin at all.

Second why don't you just for fun try the auto and use the paddle shifters, it is the crispest sharpest change you will ever find, it might just change your mind about an auto. I was for a very longtime a manual fan until I got seriously into four wheel driving and then discovered that off road auto is actually better and will take you further in most conditions.

Then coming into the F I also think the Auto with paddles is the best of both worlds, relaxed driving in heavy traffic and exhilarating snorty crisp fun with sharp changes using the paddles when it gets interesting. I do feel a bit like what I am saying is blasphemy as an ex purist but it really is actually better.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
I'm also a German car fan, and I test drove the Boxster S and F-Type V6S RWD back to back on the same day. They are very different cars. To me the Boxster S felt more planted in the corners, but not as quick. Had a bit of a go-cart feel to it. The Boxster is unfortunately nowhere near as attractive as the F-Type though. The Cayman is a looker, but the Boxster is a bit dull. The drop top is a requirement for me though so the Cayman wasn't on my final list. A 911 Carrera 4S Cabrio (997) was also test driven, and I really liked the way it drove, but didn't like the look.

I also had my wife test drive the Boxster and F-Type, and she liked the F-Type a lot more... in terms of look and comfort behind the wheel. She doesn't care about the performance. So, while I was a bit split between the F-Type V6S and Boxster GTS, she pushed me over the edge to the F-Type. Was planning on a V6S but the FTR was available, in convertible trim and the right color and just sitting there waiting for me. After the test drive I was sold.
I'm not going to make any decisions until I test drive both the Boxster S and the F-type again. Performance wise, it's no contest. But, there is something about German cars I just love. I've had many and have never been disappointed. The F-type may be just a bit too slick for my taste. But damn, it is pretty.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Two things

Firstly dash rattle is unusual, I would definitely try another car, I get some rattles from the suspension and hood components sometimes but not from the cabin at all.

Second why don't you just for fun try the auto and use the paddle shifters, it is the crispest sharpest change you will ever find, it might just change your mind about an auto. I was for a very longtime a manual fan until I got seriously into four wheel driving and then discovered that off road auto is actually better and will take you further in most conditions.

Then coming into the F I also think the Auto with paddles is the best of both worlds, relaxed driving in heavy traffic and exhilarating snorty crisp fun with sharp changes using the paddles when it gets interesting. I do feel a bit like what I am saying is blasphemy as an ex purist but it really is actually better.
There is no question the automatics being put into modern sports cars are incredible - whether PDK in Porsches, or others. I just have always loved rowing through the gears - I find it more engaging. I may try one of the auto V6S cars just for comparison, but I really will end up buying a stick. In whatever car I decide on.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

I have yet to read a single 6MT review that was favorable...either the throw is too long (short shifter needed) or the clutch engagement feels odd.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's too loud, there's no taking it down a notch if you had the exhaust switched off. If you want something more refined try a V8V.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Phil G.,

I think your 6MT observations are fair, but the rattles aren't common on most cars. Having owned many German cars over the years (3 Audis, and 8 BMWs), I think the F-Type build quality compares very favorably. I've had a few rattles in a couple of my Germans as well.

I'm also a life-long, manual transmission enthusiast, but was so impressed with the paddle action in the ZF 8-speed, as well as the overall car, that I took the plunge, purchasing a first-year car. I still love it almost two years later and not at all getting bored with it, which I usually do at this stage of ownership. It is solid, rattle free, and I've experienced zero defects.

I seriously considered ordering a manual earlier this year when the manual was announced, but then the reviews started coming in. Many have commented on the throws not being short enough, complaining about the clutch action, and those were show-stoppers for me too. I'd still really like to own an F-Type manual and hope they do some fine tuning on later builds.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Foosh, I'm clearly going to have to drive one with an automatic, just to see what everyone is talking about. As much as I love the R, it may be a bit out of reach financially - especially since only auto is available on that model. I don't care about AWD as the car will be used as a fun, fair weather car.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

The V6 auto may shock you in terms of how quick it feels, and it's all you can get in the US as RWD. It did shock me. I've also owned a boat-load of high-powered V8s (most recently Shelby's, Z06s, E92 M3, Audi RS4, etc), and perhaps I just wanted to try something different, but in the case of the F-Type, I preferred the V6. I tested both.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-08-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
The V6 auto may shock you in terms of how quick it feels, and it's all you can get in the US as RWD. It did shock me. I've also owned a boat-load of high-powered V8s (most recently Shelby's, Z06s, E92 M3, Audi RS4, etc), and perhaps I just wanted to try something different, but in the case of the F-Type, I preferred the V6. I tested both.
Honestly, I was amazed by just how quick the V6 is. I didn't particularly like the engine growl, just too loud for my taste. But, fast? Really quick.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly, I was amazed by just how quick the V6 is. I didn't particularly like the engine growl, just too loud for my taste. But, fast? Really quick.
In that case, the automatic V6 will really stun you. It's considerably quicker, in part because of the gear ratios and in part because of the lightning fast shifts, which no human can ever duplicate.

However, I totally understand why some don't care because even though the quest for perfection in unattainable, it's fun to keep trying, which makes it a very involving and fun process. With a little more tweaking on the manual, I'd give up the extra performance just to be more involved in the process.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Phil,
As others have mentioned, dash rattles appear to be rare. No rattles on my car so far. The lengthy throw on the shifter is a fair observation, one that I intend to address with a short shifter kit (as I had to on my MINI as well). Regarding clutch engagement, your observation from the test ride is opposite that of most others. Generally clutch engagement has been found to occur over to wide a range of motion appearing as a broad friction range rather than abrupt friction point which some of us would prefer for clean, crisp shifting. Your test vehicle appears to have been an exception. Give it another try on another 6 speed, in addition to checking out the AT. Others have found the AT to be worthy of abandoning the manual tranny. (Some of us, though, haven't)

Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

In that case, the automatic V6 will really stun you. It's considerably quicker, in part because of the gear ratios and in part because of the lightning fast shifts, which no human can ever duplicate.

However, I totally understand why some don't care because even though the quest for perfection is unattainable, it's fun to keep trying, which makes it a very involving and fun process. With a little more tweaking on the manual, I'd give up the extra performance just to be more involved in the process.

Try the base sport exhaust (no valves), which may be more to your liking. It's right in the middle of the active exhaust models with valves open vs. closed. The problem with the active exhaust system is that you can't turn it off when you open the throttle.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-08-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

The problem with the active exhaust system is that you can't turn it off when you open the throttle.
Plus the active exhaust will be susceptible to a rattle in the exhaust valve due to the added complexity.

I'm on my third muffler after only 5k miles. Simplicity sure has its advantages sometimes.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BierNut
Plus the active exhaust will be susceptible to a rattle in the exhaust valve due to the added complexity.

I'm on my third muffler after only 5k miles. Simplicity sure has its advantages sometimes.
Yes, that too.

However, I really don't understand that. My 06 C6 ZO6 had a similar valve-based system on quad pipes, and I don't remember anyone ever reporting that issue. It sounds like a design or manufacturing problem.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-08-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

It sounds like a design or manufacturing problem.
I completely agree.

In fact, the first muffler replacement was done extremely quickly, with parts taking 2 days to ship. The second replacement, done two months later, took four and a half weeks due to waiting for the replacement muffler to ship. My SA stated at the time none were available to ship in the U.S. or U.K.

I'm hoping this indicates that either a bad batch was identified and removed, or a defect was corrected causing a delay in manufacture.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I have yet to read a single 6MT review that was favorable...either the throw is too long (short shifter needed) or the clutch engagement feels odd.
I'm surprise at that. I drove one and feel that it's decent, not good or bad. I certainly wouldn't dislike it. It felt pretty much the same as the transmission in my BMW 435i which I've read it is. The throw could be shorter (like my S2000), but I didn't feel like I was rowing a boat either.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
I'm surprise at that. I drove one and feel that it's decent, not good or bad. I certainly wouldn't dislike it. It felt pretty much the same as the transmission in my BMW 435i which I've read it is. The throw could be shorter (like my S2000), but I didn't feel like I was rowing a boat either.
+1. The ZF S6-45 tranny is by no means perfect, but for those of us who love driving manuals, it offers a far superior driving experience than that of the superior performing and more fuel efficient 8 speed AT. I would have paid more for the MT due to the low volume production in the F-Type. I'm surprised they decided to offer a $1500 credit.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The $1500 lower price has to be directly tied to the lower cost to manufacture. It kind of makes me feel ripped off by BMW because the MT in my 435i was the same price as the AT.

Quick Reply: Test drove new V6S 6MT