F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded a Vette for the FType - Have a Chance at a Z06 - Might go back

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Traded a Vette for the FType - Have a Chance at a Z06 - Might go back

Been a vette guy my entire life - traded a like new 2016 stingray for a F Type which I completely love and think it's an amazing car...

A few things both me though about my particular car - Absolutely NO Trunk space - not being able to fit a set let alone 2 sets of clubs is annoying for a golfer. Not a deal breaker but definitely an annoyance.

Lack of options - I love the car but how can a 100k car not come standard with a backup camera?? (Yes I know I don't have the vision package!). or Remote starter (Yes I know you can use the app but it sucks and is annoying)

Lack of Power - compare to the Vette the car lacks. the UMMPPP and giddy up.

Also been told my car looks like a girls car, nice car for the wife, what are you getting yourself, ... lol

So I have a pending order for a 2018 R Type to fix my need for speed and added vision package of course...

But I got a call from the GM dealer saying they were able to order a Z06 (650+ HP, 911 Turbo Killer)

I might have to pull the trigger.

I love my Jag driving it is a pleasure but I'm a Corvette guy at heart, lets see what kind of deal I can make.....

Either way my 2017 S AWD without Vision package is getting traded for a 2018 R or Z06...

Old 01-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

"Also been told my car looks like a girls car" - ignore them they're just jealous...

The following users liked this post:
tn.dn (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
Been a vette guy my entire life - traded a like new 2016 stingray for a F Type which I completely love and think it's an amazing car...

A few things both me though about my particular car - Absolutely NO Trunk space - not being able to fit a set let alone 2 sets of clubs is annoying for a golfer. Not a deal breaker but definitely an annoyance.

Lack of options - I love the car but how can a 100k car not come standard with a backup camera?? (Yes I know I don't have the vision package!). or Remote starter (Yes I know you can use the app but it sucks and is annoying)

Lack of Power - compare to the Vette the car lacks. the UMMPPP and giddy up.

Also been told my car looks like a girls car, nice car for the wife, what are you getting yourself, ... lol

So I have a pending order for a 2018 R Type to fix my need for speed and added vision package of course...

But I got a call from the GM dealer saying they were able to order a Z06 (650+ HP, 911 Turbo Killer)

I might have to pull the trigger.

I love my Jag driving it is a pleasure but I'm a Corvette guy at heart, lets see what kind of deal I can make.....

Either way my 2017 S AWD without Vision package is getting traded for a 2018 R or Z06...

I've also been a Vette guy my entire life. Probably had over a dozen in various generations. I've used C5 and C6 ZO6's as dedicated track cars for over a decade. You can't beat the performance value of the car even today. Having said that, I recently purchased my first Jag ever, a 2015 F Type R. I love the car! I think it might be difficult going from the performance of a Vette to something less than an R but for me the R checks all the boxes. The sound is incredible, it's very fast, the looks of the car is striking and for me the interior and options are just fine. I think it's like getting an exotic at half the price. Also, there are tons of Corvettes all over but I don't see many F Types which is nice. At the end of the day it's a personal decision - no right or wrong answer. Both cars are great values. Enjoy your next car!

Oh yeah, as far as being a girls car, I think the fact that it turns 11's in the quarter yanks it out of that category! LOL

Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

When I was deciding between the two it just came down to style. You either want what an F-Type has or you don't. The vette performance is pretty incredible and hard to argue.

Btw.. I've got the vert v8S and can fit my clubs and cart in the back. Pulled the spare and don't have a tour bag tho... Haven't tried two.. lol..

Old 01-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

There was a very nice C3 Restomod featured on Jay Leno's Garage.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The problem with the Corvette in its fastest current form - Z06, is that it is hard to put the power down as efficiently as an AWD F Type R/SVR can do (due to being well, AWD).
I am referring to the real world, of course. Tested by experts, at the track Z06 have been proven to be an almost unbeatable performance machine.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The wife and I are avid golfers which is why we bought the Coupe. We take the drivers out of the bag and lay them crossways at the rear of the compartment and two bags fit easily. My wife also found a fold up cart that will fit with both bags and still leave room for a soft overnight bag for our trips to Bandon!

Old 01-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I've been a Corvette owner and enthusiast since the late '80s. This is in spite of the very old stereotyping of Corvette owners. Even if it might be true

Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Who ever thinks this is a girls car (what does that mean anyway?) doesn't know anything about design. WOT on the R and 60 mph in 3.5 should fix any mistakes on what the car is. I think James Bond has had similarly styled vehicles, usually with women in them. Maybe that's what "girls" car means.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM

haha the three people who called it a girls car could never afford one anyways!

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Are your friends all Vette owners, and are they the ones calling it a girls car? The F Type looks sophisticated and elegant, a classical design in keeping with other European designs such as Aston Martin. Look at Ferrari's too - very pretty and could be described as feminine looking - but they certainly aren't girls cars.

I find the Vette a bit too chest wig / gold medallion for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I still very much appreciate the design and always admire them when I see one on the road - but its just not my thing.

Give the R a go - will certainly resolve the noise / power issue you are craving coming from a Vette - but at the end of the day if the F Type isn't suited to your character and personality the Z06 is definitely one hell of a car to own. No bad choices there!

The following 2 users liked this post by ek993:
Burt Gummer (01-08-2017), jaguny (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

If you want performance, go with the Vette. If you care about looks and sound go for the F Type. They really are completely different cars. The vette would beat the F type in every performance category but is (in my opinion) the ugliest sports car on the market today. The F type is the opposite.

To me it sounds like you want the performance, regardless of if you use it or not. So go with the Vette!

Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I have never had car called girs in over 3 years of ownership. I looked at a couple of low mileage Vettes for my wife and I like them but seem to creak already, wife just doesn't like interior after having nothing but European cars for 20 years.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been a Vette owner since 1985. I had the choice between a 2016 Z06 conv. or the F Type R (the six cyl was not an option for me) last year. I bought the F Type R conv. and held on to my 2006 Corvette convertible. I found the F Type R to have plenty of power and with the AWD, great handling. I do not track the F Type as it is strictly street driven. I found the trunk space adequate for a weekend trip and since I don't golf the lack of space wasn't an issue. The first F Type conv. I saw in a showroom had a full set of clubs in the trunk. That's all that would fit but they were there.

I recently bought a 2017 Z06 coupe. It's not as refined as the F Type but I knew that going in as the Corvette has generally lacked the interior refinements of its Euro counterparts. What it does have is brute force power. It's also a very capable street car and like the Jag, a pleasure to drive cross country.

I hesitated on the Z06 purchase in 2016 because there were some issues I did not like. The primary was the front fender extensions. The C6 Z06/GS/ZR1/427 had wide enough fenders that did not require the cheap plastic extensions. The other area of contention was the rear design. Not so much the tail lights but the angular shape. I guess after 4 model years it grew on me. I took care of the cheap plastic look of the extensions by having them painted carbon flash metallic like the rest of the black trim. Made a huge difference.

I enjoy driving both the F Type and the Z06 as they each have their own unique characteristics. I still have the 2006 Corvette as well. It has been supercharged and puts out 650bhp like the Z06. All three are auto trans cars as well.

I will admit that even though I am a hard core Corvette guy, I would not have traded the F Type for the new Z06.

Attached Thumbnails Traded a Vette for the FType - Have a Chance at a Z06 - Might go back-20161023_130713-2-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I've been a Vette owner since 1985. I had the choice between a 2016 Z06 conv. or the F Type R (the six cyl was not an option for me) last year. I bought the F Type R conv. and held on to my 2006 Corvette convertible. I found the F Type R to have plenty of power and with the AWD, great handling. I do not track the F Type as it is strictly street driven. I found the trunk space adequate for a weekend trip and since I don't golf the lack of space wasn't an issue. The first F Type conv. I saw in a showroom had a full set of clubs in the trunk. That's all that would fit but they were there.

I recently bought a 2017 Z06 coupe. It's not as refined as the F Type but I knew that going in as the Corvette has generally lacked the interior refinements of its Euro counterparts. What it does have is brute force power. It's also a very capable street car and like the Jag, a pleasure to drive cross country.

I hesitated on the Z06 purchase in 2016 because there were some issues I did not like. The primary was the front fender extensions. The C6 Z06/GS/ZR1/427 had wide enough fenders that did not require the cheap plastic extensions. The other area of contention was the rear design. Not so much the tail lights but the angular shape. I guess after 4 model years it grew on me. I took care of the cheap plastic look of the extensions by having them painted carbon flash metallic like the rest of the black trim. Made a huge difference.

I enjoy driving both the F Type and the Z06 as they each have their own unique characteristics. I still have the 2006 Corvette as well. It has been supercharged and puts out 650bhp like the Z06. All three are auto trans cars as well.

I will admit that even though I am a hard core Corvette guy, I would not have traded the F Type for the new Z06.

Great Post - but I have to say that Grey Vette in your Driveway looks AMAZING....

Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do like I did and get both...
They are both Awesome cars

Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Your F-Type is in good company...I also consider replacing my F Type with a Corvette. Would love to have them all..but unfortunately there is not enough garage space available.

There are exciting times to come as there may be a 2018 C7 ZR1 or mid-engine C8 coming...hard to decide now where to go and what to take.

Attached Thumbnails Traded a Vette for the FType - Have a Chance at a Z06 - Might go back-wp_20160714_13_08_11_pro.jpg  

Last edited by Luciddream; 01-09-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Luciddream
There are exciting times to come as there may be a 2018 C7 ZR1 or mid-engine C8 coming...hard to decide now where to go and what to take.
Mid-engine Vette? I'll believe it when I see it (and not when it's under some camouflaged wrap)

signed,
Fifty Years & Still Waiting.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Me, too!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

If it ever materializes, I'd be interested.