Sponsored by:

Traded a Vette for the FType - Have a Chance at a Z06 - Might go back

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:56 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott S
The wife and I are avid golfers which is why we bought the Coupe. We take the drivers out of the bag and lay them crossways at the rear of the compartment and two bags fit easily. My wife also found a fold up cart that will fit with both bags and still leave room for a soft overnight bag for our trips to Bandon!
My stand bag stays in the trunk all summer, with the woods removed but in the trunk. I can fit a second smaller stand bag, but then the woods go in the passenger footwell, and there's a bit of origami involved.

Love Bandon!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

The C7's are great cars. C7 vs. F type has pros and cons both ways depending what you're doing. The Z06 is a beast but there is no way anyone can say that any of the V8 F types lack power, and it's a bit silly to compare a 6 cyl F type vs. a top-of-the-line Z06 'vette.

No wrong choice here IMO, just personal preferences.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Burt Gummer (01-09-2017), jfranks (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

still waiting to get the final number on my Jag on trade - Ill have the final decision tomorrow morning ... if the number is remotely close to what I'm hoping I will do the deal.. Just deciding on colour combo of Vette.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
Great Post - but I have to say that Grey Vette in your Driveway looks AMAZING....
Thanks. My wife picked the colour. She found it on line at the dealer I bought two other Vettes from. It was a our 40th anniversary gift to each other. This Vette is number seven. We've had two 82's, an 89, 98, 06, 13, and this one, a 2017. It is Watkins Glen grey, black interior, 2LZ package, PDR/Nav, and spectra grey wheels.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Luciddream
Your F-Type is in good company...I also consider replacing my F Type with a Corvette. Would love to have them all..but unfortunately there is not enough garage space available.

There are exciting times to come as there may be a 2018 C7 ZR1 or mid-engine C8 coming...hard to decide now where to go and what to take.
Forgive me for stalking but I saw that 650s next to your FType and went looking at post history. Just what the hell do they pay dentists in Germany these days??

Old 02-25-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I am surprised there are so many Corvette people here! I have had quite a few including a C4 several C6 Z06's, C6 ZR1 and I sold my 2015 C7 Z06 M7 Vert for the Jag a 2016 R AWD Vert. Here are my thoughts.

1.) If you want a car you can jump in and drive every day the Jag is much more comfortable.
2.) The R w/ AWD is still quite fast, more than one can use on the street and more than most can handle on track.
3.) It looks sexy, the interior is well appointed but the fit and finish is well beyond that of the Vette especially the Z06 cars.
4.) In my location the Jag dealer is also my Porsche dealer so I am able to take all my cars to one place that I trust for service. The lack of service was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me to sell the Vette.
5.) It is much more rare, at first my Z stood out especially being a convertible but that soon faded and they are a dime a dozen.
6.) Unlike the Vette I am content with Jag in stock form, I would like to do some cosmetic things but all in all it is good.

Strengths for the Vette

1.) Price! No way around this
2.) Vast national dealer network and parts availability
3.) The base cars had decent fit and finish now but the wide body still have terrible bodies. This may be remedied when the new paint shop is finished. My 2015 was so bad I was going to have the car blocked and reshot.
4.) This is definitely a contended point but my Z06 sounded way better than the Jag. I am not a fan of all the popping but do like the volume!
5.) The Jaguar is definitely a woman’s car and a driving factor for why I bought it, my wife loves this car more than any other car. She has driven 80% of the sports cars out there and quite a few on track. Within (2) miles of testing the Jag she said dump the Corvette I want this! All of my friends wives have said exactly the same thing. That being said there is no question about the Vette.

One sentence is that the Vette but felt like it was a diamond in the rough, whereas the Jag is very polished.

Best of luck with the decision

Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Wow, I am surprised there are so many Corvette people here! I have had quite a few including
I've noted that a lot of people who make cars their hobby have multiples, often in surprising combinations. Cars are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one. The best situation is to have a different car for every style of driving you want to do. I have a 69 Corvette and in the process of restoring a 72 to NCRS standards. Don't have an F-type, but maybe someday.... I'll be the guy trying 25 years from now to restore the one just traded in

Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

My (wife's) MB SLK 350 is arguably a woman's car....the F type is NOT......never heard that outside this thread to be honest. ....and my wife won't even drive my V8S as it scares her.....woman's car!? Ha, just jealous whining IMO.

Dave

Old 02-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been told the Ftype is a chick's car as well. Although people may just have been used to seeing me driving Corvettes the past 11 years...they couldnt handle the change lol

I sold my C6 Z06 for the current F type. I had Vette withdraws and decided to pick up a clean C4 back in Nov last year.

The F Type really is a British Corvette though. I'd say its also a better daily driver and feels more GT like compared the Z06 and normal C6

Compared to a C7 stingray though, Id pick the C7. Too bad they dont lease well

Dads Stingray

Last edited by NiteriderSC; 02-25-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Went from a c6z06 to R coupe. Mine is RWD though. I knew full well that the 'vette was a superior car but since I dedicated my weekends to SCCA racing I wanted a road car which the Jag does quite well.

Still torn about what to do when lease is up. The jag has the "it" factor but the new Z06 offers a TON for the money.

MC

Old 02-26-2017, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I appreciate ALL nice cars and one thing about the Jaquar forum community is I am not alone.

The people that only like one brand and all the rest are garbage are annoying and I don't consider those types true car enthusiasts.

When shopping for an F-type I cross-shopped the Challenger Hellcat and Audi R8. Probably a little odd. The F-type fills the bill best for an unmarried guy that using a different vehicle as his daily driver (van).

Couldn't care a less about a back seat.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I've asked a number of women about the f type being a girls car (including blondes) and they all,have said, no way!

Old 03-19-2017, 04:36 PM

hey guys OP here, This is a great thread!!

It's been 2 months + since the thread and the only thing I decided on was my Current Jag was getting traded in for one of the following:

2018 R
17 New Vette Z06
Porsche 911 4s

I ordered a Z06 from my dealer but can cancel still for another 3 weeks and honestly If I don't get it 100 people behind me would so the dealer isn't upset if I change my mind...

I brought a Porsche in the equation. Took one for 4 days from the Dealer to test (2017 demo 4s).....

I was actually surprised at the room and performance of the 911. Awesome Car. But the options kill you. To get one well appointed the price is 25K + than Z06 and 15k more than R Type......

The Z06 eats the 911 for lunch. The Jag is just Beautiful and I get so many looks when I drive it.

Need to see a 2018 R in person to make a final decision but I won't be heartbroken with the Z06....

If I had more Money I would trade my S for a R and get a Z06 but can't afford it and don't have garage space even If I could afford it!!

2 Simply amazing cars and I am in love with both

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Yah someone really needs to solve the garage space shortage. I too suffer from the same scarcity. Sad.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Triplekg, keep us posted along with photos of the winner!

Are you considering the discounts in those numbers? How about an SVR? Probably could get a 17 at a good price.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Triplekg, keep us posted along with photos of the winner!

Are you considering the discounts in those numbers? How about an SVR? Probably could get a 17 at a good price.
no SVR just a R and want the 2018 -

Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Yah someone really needs to solve the garage space shortage. I too suffer from the same scarcity. Sad.
haha so true. I don't care about my house have a small house but need to buy more garage space!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread!! I just sold a Boss 302 Laguna Seca and am thinking between a C7 Z06 and a f-type R.

I cant decide!!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This is my opinion. I have pretty good experience with all the cars you're considering. These are my thoughts in no particular order:

If you're unhappy with the power, an R will not fix your problem. It's fast, but not face-rearranging.

A Z06 is really fast, but it's VERY over-powered. It's not easy to put the power down for a full throttle run at any speed. Does that sound fun? Yeah. Sure. But it gets annoying and callow after a while.

A C4S will also not fix your speed needs, but it provides the most superior driving experience.

There are, as of now, no real ECU tunes for the 991.2 911s. Only piggyback.

Check out new Z06 prices. There are plenty selling brand new for under $74K. They probably don't have the Z07 package, but be careful buying a new one at full MSRP. I wouldn't.

Ditto a new R. They are just not holding value well. New SVRs and Rs are being sold for steep discounts. You'll buy the car and immediately be $25K in the hole if you sell to a dealer.

A C4S will hold value very well. Porsche people are nuts.

If you want to get arrested for hooliganism, go Z06.

If you want to brag to your buddies, go Z06.

If you want open top... Z06. The roof is really easy to remove and stow.

If you want to terrify and anger your wife, Z06.

If you want the best steering, the nimblest car, and most refined interior, driving experience and resale value, go 911. 911s do not disappoint. I'm addicted to them.

If you want to be bored again in 6 months, buy an R. I say that because it sounds like you're just over the F type. An R is just a cooler F type. If you're not in love with its looks, it's difficult to argue for it over a 911.