Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded a Vette for the FType - Have a Chance at a Z06 - Might go back

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabooh1
This is a great thread!! I just sold a Boss 302 Laguna Seca and am thinking between a C7 Z06 and a f-type R.

I cant decide!!
The choice is flash or class.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonery
This is my opinion. I have pretty good experience with all the cars you're considering. These are my thoughts in no particular order:

If you're unhappy with the power, an R will not fix your problem. It's fast, but not face-rearranging.

A Z06 is really fast, but it's VERY over-powered. It's not easy to put the power down for a full throttle run at any speed. Does that sound fun? Yeah. Sure. But it gets annoying and callow after a while.

A C4S will also not fix your speed needs, but it provides the most superior driving experience.

There are, as of now, no real ECU tunes for the 991.2 911s. Only piggyback.

Check out new Z06 prices. There are plenty selling brand new for under $74K. They probably don't have the Z07 package, but be careful buying a new one at full MSRP. I wouldn't.

Ditto a new R. They are just not holding value well. New SVRs and Rs are being sold for steep discounts. You'll buy the car and immediately be $25K in the hole if you sell to a dealer.

A C4S will hold value very well. Porsche people are nuts.

If you want to get arrested for hooliganism, go Z06.

If you want to brag to your buddies, go Z06.

If you want open top... Z06. The roof is really easy to remove and stow.

If you want to terrify and anger your wife, Z06.

If you want the best steering, the nimblest car, and most refined interior, driving experience and resale value, go 911. 911s do not disappoint. I'm addicted to them.

If you want to be bored again in 6 months, buy an R. I say that because it sounds like you're just over the F type. An R is just a cooler F type. If you're not in love with its looks, it's difficult to argue for it over a 911.
haha great post thank you.

The 911 Price is insane. There are no discounts. There are no breaks and the used ones go same as new because people dont want to wait for a new one.

I want a Lava orange 911 c 4s but the $$$ is huge.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you want the best steering, the nimblest car, and most refined interior, driving experience and resale value, go 911. 911s do not disappoint. I'm addicted to them.
911s do disappoint, and that is entirely dealership/sales model fault. They cultivate exclusivity by cranking up snobbery. When I went shopping for a car, Porsche dealerships were treating me as THEY are doing me a FAVOR for TALKING to me about selling a car. It wasn't just one dealership outlier - they all are like that.

This also translates into general public view of 911 owners. Which is not good. Every time you park it anywhere public you are just asking to get keyed.

As to prices - my F-type S after discounts was $25K cheaper than BASE stripper 911. Good luck finding "Black Edition" 911 anywhere - it will have to be special-ordered. Just think what kind of mods Unhingd could get done on $25K budget. I don't think roof-mounted rocket booster engine is out of the budget.

Last edited by SinF; 03-20-2017 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SGT h0llywood (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg

The 911 Price is insane. There are no discounts. There are no breaks and the used ones go same as new because people dont want to wait for a new one.

All three are great cars. I have two friends with C7 Z06's and one with a 911 Turbo. The Porsche is a great car......but they are very pricey and the dealers don't play well. The Z06 is awesome and a much better track car than the F type, no beating the bang for the $$$. The F type V8 is a classy, fun and powerful driver. FWIW, I disagree that an F type R leaves you wanting in the power dept; huge difference between your current V6 and a new R plus if power is an issue, a software reflash is cheap, easy and gets you to 605hp with no hardware changes.....my guess is that 605 in the F type feels just as powerful on the street as the Z06's 640 but if not, there are hardware changes to take you the rest of the way there.

Basically it depends what you want; we all weigh things differently. Hard to go wrong in any case between the three.

Dave

Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Just think what kind of mods Unhingd could get done on $25K budget. .
That could get me most of the way to a V8 MT...hmmm.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg

Yep it's really expensive. There's no way to argue it's a bargain. It's just a great car. Perfect in every way.

I would go for a Carrera GTS. It holds value very well. You should be able to get a great lease if you're into that. It's going to be faster than an S. And it has all the go-fast goodies at a bargain. It can be had for $120k starting.

The last GTSs are still selling for high amounts.

Originally Posted by SinF
911s do disappoint, and that is entirely dealership/sales model fault. They cultivate exclusivity by cranking up snobbery. When I went shopping for a car, Porsche dealerships were treating me as THEY are doing me a FAVOR for TALKING to me about selling a car. It wasn't just one dealership outlier - they all are like that.

This also translates into general public view of 911 owners. Which is not good. Every time you park it anywhere public you are just asking to get keyed.

As to prices - my F-type S after discounts was $25K cheaper than BASE stripper 911. Good luck finding "Black Edition" 911 anywhere - it will have to be special-ordered. Just think what kind of mods Unhingd could get done on $25K budget. I don't think roof-mounted rocket booster engine is out of the budget.
Yeah, there are definitely awful Porsche dealerships. I understand your frustration. I've dealt with it myself. But not all are. I adore my dealership. I've dealt with quite a few. Penske Auto Group dealerships tend to be higher quality if you have any of those around you. The most important thing is that they know you have money to spend. I wasn't thrilled with my dealer until I bought a car. Then I bought another car. Now I'm royalty and hopefully will be on their short list to get the new GT3, GT3 RS, and GT2. It's just one of those things. But my salesperson bends over backwards for me now. I get great deals.

Try Porsche of Beachwood in Ohio. They ship across the country for free and they're a delight to deal with. Porsche of Clifton park is also charming.

I don't agree with the perception of 911 owners or getting keyed. Maybe it's because of where I live. 911s are the Camry of the wealthy.

The F type is cheaper, but it's also less valuable. There are different ways of looking at it. I think a base F type is much more comparable to a Cayman/Boxster S which is an absolutely astonishing car in every way. I regret selling my Boxster Spyder. I should have kept it and had the SVR next to it.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Just to compound the point, I'm going to a private VIP event by dealerships in my area. I was never invited to one before lol

I know it's not appealing to most to become one of the regulars at a dealer of any kind. It feels unnatural to have to pay for their kindness. But the prices of these new Porsches are insane. GT3 RSs from 2007 cost more than sticker. New GT3 RSs from 2016 are $40-60k above sticker still. 911 R... lol. Somebody else is getting rich off of that, so it might as well be me.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice info hoonery,

Im going to try my luck at another porsche dealer - Should I be paying 1200+ the internet build price?? I mean knock off 500 bucks make me feel good.

I want a orange 911. If it's not in the cards for me this year i;ll save up and get it next year.

The 911GTS hits the sweet spot for me but by the time I add PDK and glass roof, I'm knocking on Base turbo territory

Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Your best negotiating tactic is to have credit card in hand for a deposit and say, "I will buy TODAY if you meet these conditions..."

When you do that, they'll jump through hoops for you.

But yeah, they're expensive. Porsche makes a killing charging out the **** for silly options.

Another option is to lease a CPO Porsche. They can actually put together leases for those. But it sounds like you want to order to your own specification.

Z06 is a great car. There's no denying that. The sound and power are addictive. You can't go wrong. And it's a Corvette so you should feel good about modifying it and enjoying it. Replacement parts are relatively inexpensive.