Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB MP3s - One More new question / concern

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts
Default USB MP3s - One More new question / concern

So, I have given up on creating playlists using just a USB stick, and I am not an Apple fanboy (I prefer Samsung)...

I still have one gripe that I hope someone can resolve for me.

I load up a ton of albums on my USB stick, and I have everything on the stick sorted by Artist, then sub folders of Albums.

When I go to my top folder (the list of artists) the F-Type will not Alphabetize them!!!

My Folder always displays in the order that I created the folder. So, anytime I add a new Artist, it appears at the BOTTOM of my list. Why wouldn't Fleetwood Mac be placed above Foreigner, instead of way at the bottom under ZZ Top? If I add AC/DC tomorrow, I know the system is going to place that folder UNDER Fleetwood Mac...

Please tell me there is a way to alphabetize my folders without having to rewrite the entire USB stick every time I add a new artist!!!

Old 09-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

It goes by the date on the folder/file. There is no real easy way to do it. You can use a program like the following:

FS Touch - A free windows 'touch' utility by Funduc Software

and some clever DOS scripting to list everything in alphabetical order and re-touch everything in that order so it will look as you want it. Or, just get used to the order as you add them onto your USB.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mahjik:
TXJagR (09-04-2015), Vistacom1 (10-18-2021)
Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

OK Jaguar. You're a premium luxury brand, and you can't alphabetize?

Don't make be buy a damn Apple iPod so I can use playlists and keep my songs sorted....

Old 09-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
OK Jaguar. You're a premium luxury brand, and you can't alphabetize?

Don't make be buy a damn Apple iPod so I can use playlists and keep my songs sorted....
Don't blame Jaguar. The car's system is just reading the crap files created somewhere else that you put into it. If you used decent user-friendly technology you wouldn't be having this problem.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Don't blame Jaguar. The car's system is just reading the crap files created somewhere else that you put into it. If you used decent user-friendly technology you wouldn't be having this problem.
You MUST own a lot of Apple...

Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

You MUST own a lot of Apple...
Let's put it this way . . . I purchased the first 128K MacIntosh in 1984, and never stopped. My latest purchase was the Apple Watch, which, of course, is also wonderful.

Of course, at work I've had to deal with that other stuff for 3 decades now, which makes me appreciate my personal equipment even more.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Let's put it this way . . . I purchased the first 128K MacIntosh in 1984, and never stopped. My latest purchase was the Apple Watch, which, of course, is also wonderful.

Of course, at work I've had to deal with that other stuff for 3 decades now, which makes me appreciate my personal equipment even more.

I really have nothing against Apple. I owned an IIc and a IIe back in the day. Then I started to build my own IBM "Clones" for a much lower price, AND they could easily be upgraded with new Hard Drive, Memory, Video Cards, even CPUs. With Apple I had to buy a whole new computer. Of course, when Android came out, I got familiar with it, and Apple became a distant memory. I am an avid semi-pro photographer though, and one day I might just get me a new top of the line Apple for the Photo Editing capabilities and excellent retina displays.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It goes by the date on the folder/file. There is no real easy way to do it. You can use a program like the following:

FS Touch - A free windows 'touch' utility by Funduc Software

and some clever DOS scripting to list everything in alphabetical order and re-touch everything in that order so it will look as you want it. Or, just get used to the order as you add them onto your USB.
Mahjik, Thank you. I think I can make use of this program you provided, and all I'll have to do is modify any new folders I add with a date / time stamp that will "file" them in the appropriate "slot" to make them appear alphabetized.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

TXJagR- the easiest solution, sorry to say, is just to get Apple. I use an iPod Nano most of the time. Pretty cheap at $149 new. However, the file browser using the headunit is very slow and does not allow swiping up or down.

The best solution is to connect using the InControl App function with a compatible device like the iPhone. The interface on that is fantastic allowing swiping and full album art:

With Apple devices, everything is sorted by Playlist, Artist, Album, or Song, etc... alphabetically.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
TXJagR- the easiest solution, sorry to say, is just to get Apple. I use an iPod Nano most of the time. Pretty cheap at $149 new. However, the file browser using the headunit is very slow and does not allow swiping up or down.

The best solution is to connect using the InControl App function with a compatible device like the iPhone. The interface on that is fantastic allowing swiping and full album art:

With Apple devices, everything is sorted by Playlist, Artist, Album, or Song, etc... alphabetically.
I wonder if I could simply use an older iPhone (that's not on a cellular network) to connect to the incontrol Apps and use it as apparently intended. Or, does the Nano actually work with the InControl Apps?

I'm just pretty set in my ways and love my Android (Samsung Galaxy) to switch completely to an iPhone for everything. (You all know that you can't teach an old dog new tricks... how would one feel having to completely change interfaces and operating systems... oh wait... Windows 10 is out now too... drat! )

Last edited by TXJagR; 09-04-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Haha... I was an iPhone user and switched to an HTC One a while back... then switched back to Apple because I couldn't get myself happy with Android.

Actually, I wonder if an iPod Touch might work, too, since it can download Apps. However, there might be a problem with the audio if you're also connecting your Samsung Galaxy via bluetooth for calls. As far as I can tell, when you're using the InControl App interface, it only uses bluetooth for music so it might not allow both you iPod and Samsung to connect at the same time. Not sure, though.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell, when you're using the InControl App interface, it only uses bluetooth for music so it might not allow both you iPod and Samsung to connect at the same time. Not sure, though.
Wait a minute.... If I'm using something like a Nano, with an Apple (Lightning to USB) cable, the music is streamed over Bluetooth?

But I do need to check and see if I can plug in a Nano and still use a Bluetooth phone for calls...

This really doesn't HAVE to be so difficult!!!

Oh, I also have over 25 Gigs of 320 bit rate MP3s... A Nano only holds 16 Gigs? See, I dispise Apple... no Micro USB slot, and they charge far too much for something with more "internal only" memory. Memory is CHEAP!

Last edited by TXJagR; 09-04-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Haha... I was an iPhone user and switched to an HTC One a while back... then switched back to Apple because I couldn't get myself happy with Android.

Actually, I wonder if an iPod Touch might work, too, since it can download Apps. However, there might be a problem with the audio if you're also connecting your Samsung Galaxy via bluetooth for calls. As far as I can tell, when you're using the InControl App interface, it only uses bluetooth for music so it might not allow both you iPod and Samsung to connect at the same time. Not sure, though.
In every car I've had with bluetooth, you can only pair one device at a time. I carry two iPhones, a work issued one and my personal one. Both are stored, and I have to select which phone I want paired at any given time.

However, in the F-Type, once you have multiple devices stored in memory, pairing is very fast and easy, so you could switch back and forth without much hassle.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

In every car I've had with bluetooth, you can only pair one device at a time. I carry two iPhones, a work issued one and my personal one. Both are stored, and I have to select which phone I want paired at any given time.

However, in the F-Type, once you have multiple devices stored in memory, pairing is very fast and easy, so you could switch back and forth without much hassle.
My real concern is that if I decided to go the Apple route and use a Nano via cable, will I still be able to use my Samsung PHONE for calls via bluetooth? Surely if I connect the Nano with a cable, I can also connect the phone with Bluetooth... (Why would I need a cable to the Nano if it transmits over bluetooth? (I'm hoping it doesn't!))

Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Nice. We're getting an Apple versus everyone else argument in a Jaguar forum.

Yes, it's annoying that my USB drive can't be sorted by the way I choose. It's just by timestamp. To be honest, it's pretty pathetic. Even if you had to choose only one way, that's not the most logical. Alphabetic sorting is the most sensible to most people. Sorting by an attribute I can't see or change from within the car is stupid.

That said, my InControl Apps choice for the navigation on my iPhone says I need to pay $79.99 for Sygic, but on my Android tablet I can just install it. WTF?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:49 PM

The issue is that there are two USB connections: one "Regular" USB port and one "InControl" USB port.

When you connect the iPod Nano to the regular USB, it'll use the regular interface (the slow, non-swiping one) but runs audio from the cable, not bluetooth.

When you connect an iPhone on the InControl USB connector, it takes over the main screen (as you can see above) and enables InControl Apps... and uses the nicer swiping interface with album art, but plays music via bluetooth only. I think in this mode, you won't be able to also connect your Samsung at the same time.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
What argument? I see a good-natured discussion.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo

Yes, it's annoying that my USB drive can't be sorted by the way I choose. It's just by timestamp. To be honest, it's pretty pathetic. Even if you had to choose only one way, that's not the most logical. Alphabetic sorting is the most sensible to most people. Sorting by an attribute I can't see or change from within the car is stupid.

That said, my InControl Apps choice for the navigation on my iPhone says I need to pay $79.99 for Sygic, but on my Android tablet I can just install it. WTF?
Wait... Sygic is free on Android? Dammit!

Anyway, all of this would be solved if they'd release JustDrive. Coming Summer 2015...

Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

My real concern is that if I decided to go the Apple route and use a Nano via cable, will I still be able to use my Samsung PHONE for calls via bluetooth? Surely if I connect the Nano with a cable, I can also connect the phone with Bluetooth... (Why would I need a cable to the Nano if it transmits over bluetooth? (I'm hoping it doesn't!))
Unless something has changed with InControl, whichever device you pair with bluetooth stays paired as long as it is in the car, and until you re-pair with a different device. I've often used an old iPod via USB in other cars, but I don't know how the InControl system works since I don't have it. I would guess if InControl only works with bluetooth, the nano wouldn't work within the app if your Samsung was paired. However, it might work via the USB/Aux input.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-04-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, that works fine. I have an old iPhone with no active cellular plan living in the console for music (plugged into the USB port, not the InControl port), and a newer iPhone (connected via BlueTooth) that I actually use as a phone. I can be listening to music on the old phone and receive or place calls using the new one and the system behaves perfectly.

My biggest gripe is that having an iOS device plugged into the USB port disables BlueTooth streaming audio -- although the phone stuff works, I can't use the menus to switch to playing music from my new phone without first unplugging the old phone. That's pretty lame.

Quick Reply: USB MP3s - One More new question / concern