F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 F-Type Performance Upgrades?

Old 02-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V6 F-Type Performance Upgrades?

Hi, I've yet to purchase an F-Type due to indecisive manners. But im a fan of low end torque. I want to purchase the V8 F-Type but I don't know if I can tip in the 60,000-80,000 I see them for in the '14-'17 ones. (Basically all of them). I'm considering the V6 S but has anyone done any reasonable performance upgrades on their V6 F-Type to produce high lowend torque or maybe something that pushes the 0-60 into the high 3s or low 4s ? (3.8 - 4.2)?i just basically would appreciate a vehicle that would send me flying back into my seats like the V8 would. I'll never track the vehicle so just accelerating it on the highway or from stoplight to stoplight sounds content enough for me. The idea of a F-Type in the 5s or high 4s as indicated by Jaguar just sounds unreasonable for me due to the price of the vehicle...

p.s this vehicle will be kept throughout my life if that matters.

Last edited by Loucini; 02-04-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Left out some info
Old 02-05-2017, 03:23 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Have you driven a V6S? If not give one a try they go pretty well, put it in Dynamic plus Sport and nail it and see how much more you think it really needs.

If you really need more a few here have done pulley upgrades and tunes.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Jag's 0-60 numbers are very conservative. There are what I'd consider credible reports of the V6S doing 4.4-4.5s.

Pay attention to Unhingd's posts - he's probably gone the furthest with his V6S 6-speed. With Velocity AP's tune and changing both pulleys, he has power and torque both in the 400s. Though changing the upper pulley isn't really necessary - difficult to do, with marginal gains.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (12-13-2021)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

If you're planning to keep it for the rest of your life... do you want to settle when you really want the V8?

Old 02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
If you're planning to keep it for the rest of your life... do you want to settle when you really want the V8?
I'd ask the same question, especially given your focus on 0-60 acceleration.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Jag's 0-60 numbers are very conservative. There are what I'd consider credible reports of the V6S doing 4.4-4.5s.

Pay attention to Unhingd's posts - he's probably gone the furthest with his V6S 6-speed. With Velocity AP's tune and changing both pulleys, he has power and torque both in the 400s. Though changing the upper pulley isn't really necessary - difficult to do, with marginal gains.
wow, that's incredible. Not to sound stupid or anything since I'm not very credible or intelligent when it comes to the mechanical side of cars - but is that safe for the engine? Cranking about 50-100+ out of it? Certainly whether it voids the warranty or not doesn't matter to me, just would prefer a safe and fun margin without blowing anything out...

Old 02-05-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen

Thats a pretty good fu**ing question 😭😭😭 it only makes this harder.. I hope after signing the paper for that hefty price , the car makes me realize it was worth it after a week. Nonetheless the car is worthwhile. Incredible looks and sound from the exhaust. Just hope I won't regret paying that much for a car. Should I just wait for it to depreciate some more? Maybe at the end of this year near end of December when its winter?

Old 02-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi. I came out of the 5.0 SC XKR and into the V6 S F type. I've had it for nearly a year and I couldnt be happier, except if I had my time over I'd have bought or at least test drove a manual which I think would suit the character of the engine/chassis a little more.

Even though at the outset I would have bought the V8 if it had been the same price (over here it would have been another 1/3 on top of what I paid), having now driven the V8 AWD, it is like a completely different car to the V6 rather than just a more powerful one. I didnt come out of the V8 wishing I'd bought one, in fact it made me want to drive mine on the track more to feel the differences. But I would caveat all of that by saying that I'm a fair driver, not a hugely skilled one.

You should try to test drive them.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

I am getting 450hp @ 6200rm and 438 lb-ft of torque @ 3900rpm from the V6. That's within just fractions of equaling the power to weight ratio of a V8S. The performance is in a whole different league than the OEM V6S. I'll hook up the data logger tomorrow and see if I can get a valid 0-60 time. The only reason to wring this much out of the V6 is if you are an old-school gear grinder. If I enjoyed driving the AT, I would have definitely opted for the V8 instead.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:43 PM

I'll definitely go and test drive the V6S and the V8 and see which one I enjoy driving more and hearing more because I know even though both features the trademarked crackles , the note is a whole level different. I've test drive the base model vert and just wasn't very pleased, unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I am getting 450hp @ 6200rm and 438 lb-ft of torque @ 3900rpm from the V6. That's within just fractions of equaling the power to weight ratio of a V8S. The performance is in a whole different league than the OEM V6S. I'll hook up the data logger tomorrow and see if I can get a valid 0-60 time. The only reason to wring this much out of the V6 is if you are an old-school gear grinder. If I enjoyed driving the AT, I would have definitely opted for the V8 instead.
thank you so much!! This will definitely help with the decision. I appreciate your time and effort. You have all been very supportive and informational.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Also remember to get that extra hp out of the v6 you'll spend an extra 5k in upgrades.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Loucini
I'll never track the vehicle so just accelerating it on the highway or from stoplight.
You should really reconsider. Track is tons of fun, and doing road racing on the regular roads is unsafe and illegal.

You will never get to use the full potential of your car if you stick to legal-ish driving, so don't bother with upgrades, just get a decent set of performance tires (e.g. Pilot Super Sport).

DJS (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
You should really reconsider. Track is tons of fun, and doing road racing on the regular roads is unsafe and illegal.

You will never get to use the full potential of your car if you stick to legal-ish driving, so don't bother with upgrades, just get a decent set of performance tires (e.g. Pilot Super Sport).
i probably will track the car if I get the chance. I'm currently in a lot of classes in hopes of medical school so.. very limited timespan for racing it on tracks. I'm a responsible guy so I don't ever do reckless drivings. Just 1-2 seconds of fast acceleration. Basically just something that'll send me back in my seat and have a great time. my dad previously owned a M4 so I just want something similar.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Loucini
i probably will track the car if I get the chance. I'm currently in a lot of classes in hopes of medical school so.. very limited timespan for racing it on tracks. I'm a responsible guy so I don't ever do reckless drivings. Just 1-2 seconds of fast acceleration. Basically just something that'll send me back in my seat and have a great time. my dad previously owned a M4 so I just want something similar.
If you are after just short point and squirt acceleration and that feeling of being pushed back in your seat I would honestly go with the V8 - it's going to be far more gratifying for your needs. If you are after finesses and handling (although that is all relative when it comes to the F Type) you are better off looking at the V6

Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Anyone using VBOX numbers to verify the gains? I am doing some tracking dyno numbers for my V6 XE and so far it is looking real good. Now to borrow a VBOX to further reinforce the gains from each mod done.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:32 AM

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'd just like to say that I visited a local dealership and seen both the 'vert and the coupe both V6 and the V8 versions too. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I felt like the visibility is sort of slim compared to other cars. The width of the windshield seems to be relatively lower compared to others.

As far as performance goes, the V8 is devastating. The exhaust note is nowhere near the same in person as it is in videos. Definitely a lot deeper and more savage than the v6. It's just - brutal. The v6 is a little kinder and softer, however the crackles are more smooth whereas the V8 is just insane and means business. Speedwise? The v8 can make your passenger scream if they didn't know what the car was capable of, not that it doesn't already look like it's exotic and belong in that territory. The v6 was kind of underwhelming compared to the v8. You will definitely get butterflies or a turned stomach if you're not used to the v8, however, the V6 is just quite strange. Feels a lot faster than the 4.5 or whatever was described, and the way it sounds as you're flooring it definitely helps with it FEELING faster. I think with all factors considered, the V8 is definitely the one I have to go for regardless of the price difference. Keeping this car for as long as I humanly can, so what's so painful about a 15,000$ hit in the throat once versus living with the grief of waking up every morning and when you start up the car you tell yourself, "Damn I wish I got the other guy." Thank you, everybody, for your insight!!!! (I think the dealbreaker tbh was the sound and position of the exhaust. Quad versus two in the center which I never liked hence why Porsche's aren't appealing to me.)

Here's an advice for anyone having the same issue: IF you really want to like the V6, don't ever test drive or let alone start up the V8. It'll only make it impossible to stay with the V6.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

I disagree, I like the V8 but I was coming out of an AMG Merc and didn't see the need for that much speed on the streets. It was wasted in the Merc.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan of the central exhaust tip design either. Neither is the wife. Sounds like you are set on the V8 - good for you! Defintely superior.

Loucini (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by bjg625
I disagree, I like the V8 but I was coming out of an AMG Merc and didn't see the need for that much speed on the streets. It was wasted in the Merc.
Although I do agree with you that the power is put to waste, I just saw it at a different perspective. It's better to come home with more ingredient for your recipe than to of found that you came home short. You know what I mean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 F-Type Performance Upgrades?