Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Factory-released specs say 7 ft. lbs. difference from 3500-5000 rpm, which is 2-3%.

I was perplexed as to why you say it's not that easy. The dealer can plug in and simply reflash very quickly.
Not so easy. Flashing my OEM tune onto your car (assuming I had an AT) would cause all hell to break loose, as my VIN would then end up on your ECU causing all kinds of communications hiccups...perhaps rendering the ECU unusable. However, my tuner has no problem doing a file compare (similar to the Word functionality) to identify all of the differences between 2 tunes in a massive printout. This is not a trivial task, as there are massive numbers of tables as mentioned, both active and inactive.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not so easy. Flashing my OEM tune onto your car (assuming I had an AT) would cause all hell to break loose, as my VIN would then end up on your ECU causing all kinds of communications hiccups...perhaps rendering the ECU unusable. However, my tuner has no problem doing a file compare (similar to the Word functionality) to identify all of the differences between 2 tunes in a massive printout. This is not a trivial task, as there are massive numbers of tables as mentioned, both active and inactive.
Yes, Stohlen explained that well in post #30.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-18-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, Stohlen explained that well in post #30.
Sorry. If you already knew that, I misunderstood your question.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
The 3.0L 340bhp was dyno'd to 389bhp, time was limited though so we need to reschedule to increase the power. We've sent the 3.0L client a file to road test, the butt dyno feels the improvement..just we want those dyno number before posting it's availible.
Looking forward to seeing those dyno graphs for the V6!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:22 AM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Hello All,

Just a quick update for the moment. V6 Tuning/Testing appears to be back on track after a little schedule hiccup. We should have results to post soon.

V8 - Working with a customer in Florida we have been able to dyno baseline a 2016 'R' at 412WHP. Using the Project 7 files as a baseline for tuning, and working forward from there, we have achieved gains of 42WHP on 91 Octane fuel, at pretty much bang on 11.5:1 AFR. We ran short on time on that session as well, still a couple of degrees of timing to go, so can probably get 45-46-ish WHP final numbers. Takes the ECU Tuning alone up to around 605BHP at the crank. Pulley is going on this week, and we will be adjusting settings for this as well. Optimistic we can see 60WHP with this added, and perhaps another 20WHP at a later date with the addition of our 200 cell downpipes.

Dyno sheets to follow shortly, will be providing full documentation.

We did not want to rush the release on this, has taken a little time to do it right, but as they say, right, inexpensive & fast.... pick two!

For those with non-'R' models... we have already been able to confirm the flashing of the 'R' software to the V8S models with great results. Meaning - the same final numbers should be available to all V8 owners, regardless of initial spec.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Dremorg (03-30-2016), dwmilton (05-03-2020), UBI (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 02:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

mmm

Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

V6......!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Waiting oh so patiently....

Old 03-31-2016, 09:37 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Hello All,

Just a quick update for the moment. V6 Tuning/Testing appears to be back on track after a little schedule hiccup. We should have results to post soon.

V8 - Working with a customer in Florida we have been able to dyno baseline a 2016 'R' at 412WHP. Using the Project 7 files as a baseline for tuning, and working forward from there, we have achieved gains of 42WHP on 91 Octane fuel, at pretty much bang on 11.5:1 AFR. We ran short on time on that session as well, still a couple of degrees of timing to go, so can probably get 45-46-ish WHP final numbers. Takes the ECU Tuning alone up to around 605BHP at the crank. Pulley is going on this week, and we will be adjusting settings for this as well. Optimistic we can see 60WHP with this added, and perhaps another 20WHP at a later date with the addition of our 200 cell downpipes.

We did not want to rush the release on this, has taken a little time to do it right, but as they say, right, inexpensive & fast.... pick two!

For those with non-'R' models... we have already been able to confirm the flashing of the 'R' software to the V8S models with great results. Meaning - the same final numbers should be available to all V8 owners, regardless of initial spec.
Stuart, you have my email. I'm ready for a flash any time now...

Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

V8 - Working with a customer in Florida we have been able to dyno baseline a 2016 'R' at 412WHP.
Stuart,
Any reason why this would be reading about 55 horses shy of the factory claim (assuming a 15% loss)? I would be surprised if the AWD is seeing as much as a 25% drive train loss.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-31-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Than the

Stuart,
Any reason why this would be reading about 55 horses shy of the factory claim (assuming a 15% loss)? I would be surprised if the AWD is seeing as much as a 25% drive train loss.
The absolute numbers likely have more to do with the dyno used than the car. The delta between stock and tuned is really all that's relevant anyway. I'm interested to see the power difference throughout the range.

The tuned power increase is in line with what others have claimed on 91 octane....well besides my tune (lol) which is irrelevant and soon to be replaced. I am really looking forward to testing Velocity's tune and comparing it to my current file (other tuner), which is lacking in terms of consistent power and smoothness.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cbroth1
The absolute numbers likely have more to do with the dyno used than the car.
I suspected that, but am still wondering why a dynamometer can't be calibrated for more accurate absolute numbers. A 10% variation seems excessive.

Originally Posted by cbroth1
I'm interested to see the power difference throughout the range.
Though, there is a high degree of correlation between hp and torque, it's the torque throughout the engine speed range that most affects overall performance.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Sponsor

I suspected that, but am still wondering why a dynamometer can't be calibrated for more accurate absolute numbers. A 10% variation seems excessive.

Though, there is a high degree of correlation between hp and torque, it's the torque throughout the engine speed range that most affects overall performance.
Dynos all read differently, some are known for higher numbers, some for lower numbers. Depends on the gearing for the car as well.

What dynos are not at all useful for is comparing one vehicle to another (ie, my car made this much at xxx dyno, yours made this much at yyy dyno.) To some degree it doesn't matter whether it reads high or low as long as the it reads consistently. And 10% measured drivetrain loss would be very low, in my experience we are seeing 15-20% on most modern vehicles.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello All,

Is there a reason this car is running 91 octane when 93 octane is readily available in florida?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
Is there a reason this car is running 91 octane when 93 octane is readily available in florida?
Well, it's a generic tune were developing on this car. Right now the tune can only be uploaded with a Kess unit we ship around. So if the client drove to a city that lacked 93..they'd be in quite a jam and wouldn't be able to upload a 91 tune from a hand held. By doing a tune with 91, we can push the max until knock detection is near 5% excessive max. If 93 was ran on this tune, you just wouldn't see that 5% detected..would be 0% and develop a little more power...

If you want, we can create a tune for 93 and get the max out of it, it's a timing bump..just you wouldn't be able to swap between a 91 and 93 tune until we have a hand held ready for sale.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, it's a generic tune were developing on this car. Right now the tune can only be uploaded with a Kess unit we ship around. So if the client drove to a city that lacked 93..they'd be in quite a jam and wouldn't be able to upload a 91 tune from a hand held. By doing a tune with 91, we can push the max until knock detection is near 5% excessive max. If 93 was ran on this tune, you just wouldn't see that 5% detected..would be 0% and develop a little more power...

If you want, we can create a tune for 93 and get the max out of it, it's a timing bump..just you wouldn't be able to swap between a 91 and 93 tune until we have a hand held ready for sale.
Makes sense, however I'd dump in some octane booster if I was in a jam or drive like my grandmother. If you are truly working on a hand held I'll wait till then.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Makes sense, however I'd dump in some octane booster if I was in a jam or drive like my grandmother. If you are truly working on a hand held I'll wait till then.
To raise the Octane by 2 points would require require about a substantial amount of legal blend component with the highest available octane. That would probably mean toluene at 114 octane. Doing the algebra, you would have to add 1.43 gallons of toluene to 15 gallons of 91 octane gas to get it to 93. The days of a magic can of joy juice for increasing octane expired when tetra-ethyl lead was outlawed. Driving like grandma is a better solution.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Just FYI, 93 is the std. "super premium" blend sold everywhere (as far as I can tell) east of the Mississippi in the US. 91 is the max in CA and several other western states.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Sponsor

We are working on a hand-held solution, however as previously posted, this isn't expected to be a 'next week' type of thing. It could be some time before this is available.

In the mean time, we can bench flash any of these ECUs without issue at our office in British Columbia. Ususally a 24 hour turnaround, and the ECU is very easy to remove.

If you're looking to jump on a tune this would probably be the most expedient method, and it also has some advantages in terms of leaving less trace in the PCM.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

What about us over the pond Stuart, when we want your tune!!

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R