VelocityAP V6/V8 Headers Development

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Sign me up....

Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Please lop off a tube on each side and send me a set.

Does this pic of the heat shield mean you are making progress?

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-15-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Please lop off a tube on each side and send me a set.

Does this pic of the heat shield mean you are making progress?
We are making progress. Things are being made.

Once the V8 set is done, dyno-tested etc. we will be constructing a V6 set which uses the same downpipe/link pipe section. Those are earmarked for you

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We are making progress. Things are being made.

Once the V8 set is done, dyno-tested etc. we will be constructing a V6 set which uses the same downpipe/link pipe section. Those are earmarked for you

Looking forward to it!!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:30 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Stuart you know i'll buy a set for my V6 the second there available. Glad there progress being made.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by strippersteel
Stuart you know i'll buy a set for my V6 the second there available. Glad there progress being made.
+1.....for the V8 AWD though.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Stuart,

Glad you guy came through for you. I'll stop by for a chat when I'm in the neighborhood.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-24-2016, 12:03 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

@Unhingd. After a couple of that mods you are going to be pushing the limits of the V6S manual tranny. I think you already about 7% over recommended. I'm curious as to how you plan to address the short comings of the 6MT?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zmoothg
@Unhingd. After a couple of that mods you are going to be pushing the limits of the V6S manual tranny. I think you already about 7% over recommended. I'm curious as to how you plan to address the short comings of the 6MT?
6% to be precise. There are a number of factors to consider:

1. Generally, recommended maximums will include a significant safety factor to minimize the probability of failure, particularly during the warranty period.
2.The F-Type includes two devices that protect against shock loading that typically cause tranny failure: a) the dual-mass clutch, and b) the clutch delay valve,
3. I will not be speed-shifting or doing any clutchless-shifting with this ZF like I would with a more substantial tranny like a Doug Nash or a Tremec.
4. If the tranny fails , that's part of the pay-to-play plan. At that point, I'll look at retro-fitting a Tremec, or maintaining an inventory of ZFs.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

6% to be precise. There are a number of factors to consider:

1. Generally, recommended maximums will include a significant safety factor to minimize the probability of failure, particularly during the warranty period.
2.The F-Type includes two devices that protect against shock loading that typically cause tranny failure: a) the dual-mass clutch, and b) the clutch delay valve,
3. I will not be speed-shifting or doing any clutchless-shifting with this ZF like I would with a more substantial tranny like a Doug Nash or a Tremec.
4. If the tranny fails , that's part of the pay-to-play plan. At that point, I'll look at retro-fitting a Tremec, or maintaining an inventory of ZFs.
Solid plan IMO; just because a tranny has a certain rating is NO guarantee that you'll have problems just over it. ....only time will tell for sure. There are dozens and dozens of trannys that have proven they can live at double the rated input.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-30-2016, 03:49 AM
Sponsor

Progress is being made. Stalled out for tomorrow, our head fabricator is off rallying for the weekend. Taking our time with these to figure a couple of things out, get the runner lengths equalized and the firing order right is tricky. And also trying to fake a RHD steering linkage to see if we can make universal fit.

V6 will be a lot easier.

www.velocityap.com

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
DPelletier (09-30-2016), Mpowerr (10-06-2016), Panthro (10-03-2016), Unhingd (09-30-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Sponsor

Starting to get there with the V8. The passenger's side primaries are all run & bolted in. That side we were able to both get the firing order correct, as well as completely equalize the runner lengths.

On the driver's side due to the steering column linkage, it is just too tight to equalize the runners. It's not even close to possible. This is a very tight engine bay. However, the firing order is correct which is great.

You can see from the profile of the runners, how closely they are nested together just how tight a space we are working with. I'm fortunate to have some very talented guys working for us.

V6 will be far, far easier. Hoping to have the car on the dyno this week.

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

It's like steel origami - very impressive.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Sponsor

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Can't wait until they're ready.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart,
Could you please post a picture showing the inside of the collectors? How long will the tapered transition be from the collector to the exhaust pipe? These are both key areas for evaluating the potential effectiveness of the headers.

Also, on the driver's side, will elimination of the rear tube from the V8 setup allow you to get the tube lengths relatively close on the V6? What alloy of stainless are you using?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Sponsor

Stuart,
Could you please post a picture showing the inside of the collectors? How long will the tapered transition be from the collector to the exhaust pipe? These are both key areas for evaluating the potential effectiveness of the headers.

Also, on the driver's side, will elimination of the rear tube from the V8 setup allow you to get the tube lengths relatively close on the V6? What alloy of stainless are you using?
I just arrived this morning. Saul was here late last night working on these (sometimes he does that when he is in the groove.) looks like they are too far along to show you the inside of these particular collectors unless we start cutting stuff off of them.

But what is it that you are wanting to know Lance? Our collectors are all fully welded internally, and centrally pointed. You can see from the outside that these are proper merge collectors. They are not just a formed piece with 4 pipes dumped in and a diamond welded into the center. I might have a couple of reject collectors from V8 Vantage headers kicking around of which I can show you a picture.

I'm not sure what you're asking regarding distance from collector to exhaust pipe... do you mean where does the header section end and downpipe section begin? Or do you mean distance to the tailpipe?

If you mean the downpipe start, that is moved as far downstream as it is physically possible to do so. There are clearance issues and we need to also allow room for a catalyst for those who desire one. Furthermore, the movement of O2 sensor locations more than a relatively small amount from their original distance from the cylinder head will result in difficult tuning issues regarding the latency of the sensors. For example if you move them 2-3 feet downstream you're going to have to change the HEGO circuit on-time, as well as the expected response rate for all the sensors. Not impossible but not ideal either.

So in practise, packaging constraints usually dictate a few fixed locations and you're going to build around these. Since a tight engine bay like this one usually precludes perfectly equal length primaries we'll usually prioritize firing order first, determine our collector location and then work from there.

Yes, I think the additional room on the V6 will allow the rear most primary to be more equalized to the front 2. These parts are all built (as are all our parts as standard) from 304 grade 16 gauge stainless tubing, Tig welded and purged.

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
and centrally pointed.
Stuart, you answered that question to my satisfaction...no need for a picture. That's what I was looking for. As to distance, I am curious over what distance you are able to taper down from the outline of the 4 (or in my case 3) tubes to the diameter of the downpipe. I've seen some collectors with a 45 degree taper angle that will rob as much power as the manufacturer claims they will gain.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Sponsor

Stuart, you answered that question to my satisfaction...no need for a picture. That's what I was looking for. As to distance, I am curious over what distance you are able to taper down from the outline of the 4 (or in my case 3) tubes to the diameter of the downpipe. I've seen some collectors with a 45 degree taper angle that will rob as much power as the manufacturer claims they will gain.
It's about 13/14 degrees.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart,
How much would 321 stainless add to the cost of this setup.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP V6/V8 Headers Development