Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty extension prices ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Warranty extension prices ?

I'm still okay for a few years with my 2016 but wondered if any of you had already started shopping Jaguar extended warranties for your F and what sort of numbers/coverage have you come across ? Is the Jaguar warranty the same price from all dealers or is it like the Ford warranty where one or two dealers have a much better price even though they aren't local ?

I'm wondering how much the InTouch subscription might cost too once the 5 year free period runs out. Did anybody figure out where they hide the SIM card in the coupe (assuming there has to be an ATT one) ?

Old 02-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I'm still okay for a few years with my 2016 but wondered if any of you had already started shopping Jaguar extended warranties for your F and what sort of numbers/coverage have you come across ? Is the Jaguar warranty the same price from all dealers or is it like the Ford warranty where one or two dealers have a much better price even though they aren't local ?

I'm wondering how much the InTouch subscription might cost too once the 5 year free period runs out. Did anybody figure out where they hide the SIM card in the coupe (assuming there has to be an ATT one) ?
The SIM card is in your cellphone. All apps requiring wireless connection (including inControl Apps and Remote) also require that you have a cell phone in the car. The "SOS" system operates off satellite, not sim card.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-20-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

When I signed up for the Jaguar Remote service, I had an AT&T agreement to sign and I can contact the car when my cell phone isn't in it or connected to it, so I'm pretty sure the car has it's own data connection independent of my cell. The JustDrive and Spotify etc I grant you do use my cell phone data connection. One of the problems I had with JustDrive was traced back to a data gateway problem with T-Mobile only.

I would doubt a satellite connection as traditionally those are absurdly expensive compared with cell data and more power and a better antenna to reach the satellite compared to the nearest cell tower...

A friend of mine bought the Automatic Pro OBD dongle which has some kind of built in cell data connection which is "free" for five years (https://www.automatic.com/pro/?gclid...0nAxoCQ97w_wcB) so I'm thinking the Jaguar has something similar hardwired in somewhere...

Of course reading the mention of the InTouch Protect where your car can be located if you call them and alert them it has been stolen would make sense why they are reticent to say where in the car it is located....but I guess the F-Type thieves could drive it into a Faraday cage until they find it and disable it ;-)

Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
When I signed up for the Jaguar Remote service, I had an AT&T agreement to sign and I can contact the car when my cell phone isn't in it or connected to it, so I'm pretty sure the car has it's own data connection independent of my cell. The JustDrive and Spotify etc I grant you do use my cell phone data connection. One of the problems I had with JustDrive was traced back to a data gateway problem with T-Mobile only.

I would doubt a satellite connection as traditionally those are absurdly expensive compared with cell data and more power and a better antenna to reach the satellite compared to the nearest cell tower...

A friend of mine bought the Automatic Pro OBD dongle which has some kind of built in cell data connection which is "free" for five years (https://www.automatic.com/pro/?gclid...0nAxoCQ97w_wcB) so I'm thinking the Jaguar has something similar hardwired in somewhere...

Of course reading the mention of the InTouch Protect where your car can be located if you call them and alert them it has been stolen would make sense why they are reticent to say where in the car it is located....but I guess the F-Type thieves could drive it into a Faraday cage until they find it and disable it ;-)
These cars are already communicating with satellite for GPS and Sirius. Since the SOS function and Sirius work where cell does not, I was almost certain those were satellite driven.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm 99% sure that UK cars have a SIM tucked away that is used for InControl, breakdown and SOS etc.

These cars are already communicating with satellite for GPS and Sirius. Since the SOS function and Sirius work where cell does not, I was almost certain those were satellite driven.
I think you will find that the GPS and Siruis was a purely passive devices in the F - Type and not an active one that transmits to satellites.
Typically Navigation systems in cars only receive, not transmit to sats.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, sat nav is passive - they triangulate a number of satellite positions to confirm the location on the map. Same with Sirius/XM, it's all a one way data stream.

I did read on the Jaguar UK site that the F-Pace (and maybe some of the sedans) are now available with in car WiFi as part of InControl Pro, so there's a SIM card for sure...

I'm guessing that if Automatic can make a $129 sale good for 5 years of 3G data (assuming the carriers don't turn off 3G before then!) which does similar things (journey logging, last known position etc) then I hope renewal for InControl shouldn't be too painful. But that may depend more on AT&T than Jaguar ;-)

Old 02-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Since the SOS function and Sirius work where cell does not,
That's an interesting point, has anybody actually used the SOS function in an extreme out of cell tower range situation ? There's probably some small print in the agreement somewhere which releases them from any liability on the basis it is more a convenience feature and not a Bear Grylls Survivor button ;-)

Old 02-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

Having a new F-Pace, I believe I can add some clarity. As Tel mentioned, the satellite connection is strictly passive. Instead, there are two separate cell-based connections. One is paid by JLR and includes the SOS function. As speculated, it won't work everywhere on the planet. The second cell connection is owned/paid by the customer after an initial 90-day trial. There is a separate sim for it in the cubby. That connection provides things like weather, news, and real-time traffic information. It also provides a platform for setting the car up as a hot spot. (In theory, it gets somewhat better reception than a phone inside the vehicle.) At the moment, that connection is limited to 3G, although the word is that MY18 will pick up 4G. I, personally, have not found a lot of value to that connection - certainly not worth the $20/mo or so that AT&T wanted. (It's probably less if you're already an AT&T customer and just add it as a device.) There are alternatives. While AT&T is the only officially supported provider, a number of people have had success moving to other carriers, such as T-Mobile and Freedom Pop. Others have let the trial lapse and just reverse the process by using their phone as the hot spot platform and let the car connect through the phone.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

To answer the point of the thread (extended warranty) I was surprised to see pricing from my local dealer, I have a '16 F Type R with 8800 miles (mileage at this point should be a small impact). To go 100,000 miles and 72 months was $4174. THis means I'm good until 2/24/2023. My car was built 4/13/15, so that's only 2 years 10 months and 40K miles. I was surprised it was that high. The same term (72 months) and 75,000 miles was $3455. What did you get quoted?

The following users liked this post:
Debbie Britt (04-03-2017)