F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Thanks for the bulletin Cap'n Ham!
I'm taking the car in this arvo to get the supercharger rattle fixed tomorrow, so I might ask about this while I'm at it.
My car meets all the criteria - MY2015 coupe with the 700W system, VIN in the range - so they might agree to do it.
Question for Cambo - as you know I don't appear to have any real problem with my sound system, and if there is any buzzing from the tweeters it only appears if/when I crank the sound way up to painful level (and even then it seems to me it's speaker/cover panel rattle caused by the sheer volume). So is it worth getting this fix done anyway, I can't see it causing any problem and you never know it just might improve the sound?

Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I can't say I noticed the buzzing but maybe my music doesn't provoke it. I got my dealer to do it anyway while they had it on the lift. Allegedly it also corrects the "missing" audio profile for the coupe - I think that's supposed to mean the early coupes audio units were programmed as though they were in a convertible...

My ears probably aren't tuned enough to know what differences there should be with having a non-removable roof but maybe the Jaguar boffins figured something out. Maybe that was the root cause behind the buzzing. I still would like to see them implement a more controllable variable gain for speed. I do find I have to twiddle with the volume far too much...especially now I have discovered the unholy combination of Dynamic and Sport modes....

Old 02-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

My dealer applied the "JTB00537NAS2" fix yesterday...

Initial thoughts:

Overall impression: Sound noticeably improved, especially mid-range. The highs seem cleaner/crisper too. You might be a little disappointed if you're looking for a "knock-your-socks-off" renewed experience; but, the sound is richer, at least to my amateur audiophile's ears. [Note: I'm still running all of my R's OEM sound components.]

After-fix adjustments I made:

>Treble setting was turned up all the way before the fix, and I ended up leaving it there. I played with the Bass setting, ending up at about 3/4. Same setting with the Subwoofer. I did make a change to my Surround setting. Prior to the fix, I had always found DTS worked best. Now I prefer the Dolby setting.

>Balance/Fader: I left side-to-side in its middle setting, but ended up adjusting the fader bias two "clicks" towards the rear (previously had left in the middle setting).

Your SA may have trouble accessing the JTB00537NAS2 tech bulletin if you give them Reference No: SSM73060. (I originally sent my dealer reference to SSM73060, but since my SA was also a tech previously, he was able to track down JTB00537NAS2. He suggested just forgetting making any reference to SSM73060 and instead reference JTB00537NAS2 now that it has been created in the system.

Finally, FWIW, the tech bulletin references the "Meridian 700W" sound, not the "Meridian 770W Sound System." Oh, well.

Last edited by deltagroup; 02-18-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Clarification
The following 3 users liked this post by deltagroup:
jaguny (02-25-2017), Jiggaman (10-24-2017), Misujerr (02-26-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you can set your treble and bass with that high of a setting your stereo is light years ahead of my yet to be fixed unit. Amazing how challenging it is to for technicians to find these tsb's. Are they secretly posted by JLR so they can't be found? I have an electronic storage system for files in my business. I can search thousands of files using one or two key words in minutes. Baffling.

Last edited by jaguny; 02-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boohoo again

Originally Posted by deltagroup
My dealer applied the "JTB00537NAS2" fix yesterday...

Initial thoughts:

Overall impression: Sound noticeably improved, especially mid-range. The highs seem cleaner/crisper too. You might be a little disappointed if you're looking for a "knock-your-socks-off" renewed experience; but, the sound is richer, at least to my amateur audiophile's ears. [Note: I'm still running all of my R's OEM sound components.]

After-fix adjustments I made:

>Treble setting was turned up all the way before the fix, and I ended up leaving it there. I played with the Bass setting, ending up at about 3/4. Same setting with the Subwoofer. I did make a change to my Surround setting. Prior to the fix, I had always found DTS worked best. Now I prefer the Dolby setting.

>Balance/Fader: I left side-to-side in its middle setting, but ended up adjusting the fader bias two "clicks" towards the rear (previously had left in the middle setting).

Your SA may have trouble accessing the JTB00537NAS2 tech bulletin if you give them Reference No: SSM73060. (I originally sent my dealer reference to SSM73060, but since my SA was also a tech previously, he was able to track down JTB00537NAS2. He suggested just forgetting making any reference to SSM73060 and instead reference JTB00537NAS2 now that it has been created in the system.

Finally, FWIW, the tech bulletin references the "Meridian 700W" sound, not the "Meridian 770W Sound System." Oh, well.

My experience after the "fix" was a POS sound! Everything sounds muffled, as if Kim Jong-nam was trying to shout with a poisoned cloth over his mouth, suffocating him. I've changed from sound mode to sound mode, and the dreaded cranking up the bass, mid, and treble just to hear your music in all its glory was sad, Sad, SAd, and more SAD, to me. In fact, I much prefer the rattling over this rear naked choke on the sonic frequency. So now, another big disappointment with JLR and more expletives to myself!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
My experience after the "fix" was a POS sound! Everything sounds muffled, as if Kim Jong-nam was trying to shout with a poisoned cloth over his mouth, suffocating him. I've changed from sound mode to sound mode, and the dreaded cranking up the bass, mid, and treble just to hear your music in all its glory was sad, Sad, SAd, and more SAD, to me. In fact, I much prefer the rattling over this rear naked choke on the sonic frequency. So now, another big disappointment with JLR and more expletives to myself!
Wow. Sorry to hear.

The following users liked this post:
NTAV (02-19-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just as a point of reference, I am experiencing this issue with the tweeters and brought the car to the dealership to have the software fix applied (along with several other unrelated issues addressed). Even after describing the exact same symptoms from the TSB and giving them the TSB number, they still fiddled with all my stereo settings and told me "everything's fine, it's your settings and the volume level you're using" without applying the fix at all.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector-G
Just as a point of reference, I am experiencing this issue with the tweeters and brought the car to the dealership to have the software fix applied (along with several other unrelated issues addressed). Even after describing the exact same symptoms from the TSB and giving them the TSB number, they still fiddled with all my stereo settings and told me "everything's fine, it's your settings and the volume level you're using" without applying the fix at all.
That's ridiculous. Talk to the service manager or the GM.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by stmcknig
...especially now I have discovered the unholy combination of Dynamic and Sport modes....
Seriously? That is the ONLY mode that needs to be enabled by default for all driving...

Old 02-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Just thought I'd share my experience - just got a 2017 base coupe. I don't have any of the problems discussed in this thread. After playing with it for some time, I'm happy enough with the sound that I may not upgrade it (my home system uses studio monitors and I've been an audiophile for 50 years, played in a band, and so on).

I thought the Dolby setting sounded cleanest and adjusted the tone controls to match that. I ended up with the base and treble flat and the sub up four clicks. I adjusted the sound map one click left (???) of center and moved the sound stage forward to the back end of the windshield. BTW, it sounds a lot better when you crank it a little. 80 db seems to lack a little bit of bass. Get it up to 95 db or so, and it starts to rock.

I hope that you guys adjusting everything way up - treble, bass - listen to what you're doing to your frequency response. Making big adjustments to the tone controls usually make big holes in the frequency response somewhere.

BTW, cymbals are not a lead instrument, but you'd think so if you listened to some of the stereos I've heard... Listen to some live music, then immediately go to your car and adjust it to sound like that.

Last edited by FullChat; 02-25-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Misujerr (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector-G
A couple of statements come to mind when reading this:

1. - A load of crap!
2. - Shameful on this dealership part
3. - Do they think you are stupid......, unacceptable service.
4. - They should be reported for this idiot behavior and response.

OK, now I feel better. Good Lord!!!!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm searched but haven't found it on this forum yet... I have a 2015 F Type R and I had the dealer apply the audio TSB that's mentioned in this thread (thank you, everyone). How do I check the version to verify the dealer actually applied the update?

I saw mention of a version (e.g. 5636) for InControl Apps but I don't believe my year has the app integration. The dealer seemed hesitant to apply the TSB so I want to ensure they did what they said they would do. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Thanks for this.

It's a good job we have these forums....JLR UK are not forthcoming with their information regarding upgrades/fixes.

I have just asked the retailer this side if we have this available in the UK and will let you all know if it has been rolled out here.
I agree the Meridian sounds like crap. I miss the 1200-watt Bowers & Wilkins in my XJ. So anyway, I'm going to the dealership today for an early oil change. I'm gonna ask them about the software update for the Meridian. Thanks for the 411!

Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster
I agree the Meridian sounds like crap. I miss the 1200-watt Bowers & Wilkins in my XJ. So anyway, I'm going to the dealership today for an early oil change. I'm gonna ask them about the software update for the Meridian. Thanks for the 411!
Remember, don't take "no for an answer", or the settings excuse 101 as a cause either. The fix is real, sounds great and if anything else, laziness or incomp. (I hope not the latter) can't become issue from the service dept.!!!

sgvkirbster (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

So indeed, there were 3 different software updates for the system. And on a side note, there's also a service bulletin for them to replace the O2 sensors, which they promptly did. The Meridian does sound better now. But is it a "significant" improvement? I can't really tell.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Just had the firmware update for the stereo done today. The service manager said the tech couldn't hear an issue (he was listening to a weak FM station apparently). The service writer had him do it anyway (a different service writer at the same dealership would have never done that). It does sound allot more balanced and much more tolerable. Like @sgvkirbster alluded to, it sounds better but is not how I would imagine a top of the line car stereo sounding... it is more balanced sound but not very crisp. No annoying buzzing which is nice.

sgvkirbster (03-06-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

May be stating the obvious but double check your settings after the update. When I got mine updated it sounded WORSE - turned out they had reset it back to Stereo and not the Meridian I had previously set.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
May be stating the obvious but double check your settings after the update. When I got mine updated it sounded WORSE - turned out they had reset it back to Stereo and not the Meridian I had previously set.
I usually listen to mine in stereo mode since it seems most all the sound, previous to the update, came from the center speaker in other modes. With the FW update, Meridian sounds better than before, but still prefer stereo than the surround modes for music.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts
Default Unbelievable!

I didn't know WTF I was missing out on. Music is now coming from all the speakers instead of primarily from the tweeters and subwoofers. Sooo much better. When I brought the car in, they had no idea what I was talking about and said they needed to keep the car and research the issue. When I handed them a copy of the full JTB, the service manager took it to the tech. In typical fashion for this dealer, no further questions asked. They just did it, and even they remarked how much better the system sounded. Took exactly 1hour from driving in to driving out.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

After having a good "talking to" with my service advisor, they finally applied the update and I just got the car back yesterday. I agree with Unhingd, everything sounds sooo much better!

Quick Reply: Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!