X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Jaguar X-type Strut Question. Please help.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Jaguar X-type Strut Question. Please help.

hi I have a bad strut on my front left tire that I am needing to replace. I was curious if anyone might know exactly which part/brand I need to order. Along with that im also curious if I should order a new mount for the strut as well in case it has any wear on it. I have not attempted taking anything apart yet due to the fact im not a mechanic, just need to know what the best strut to order would be and if I need a new mount as well. please any help would be apprectiated. Tyler

Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Default re

I believe this could be the correct strut. OESpectrum Twin-Tube Shocks and Struts by Monroe - JCWhitney any thoughts?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Hello Tyler,
Check rock auto, amazon, or your favorite auto parts store on line.
you can search for the correct part for your car.
Check to see if Monroe or anyone else has the complete assembly with spring and mount complete. If available, it will save time and eliminate the hazard of removing the springs from the struts.
Oh, did I say struts?
Replace both. The springs and resistance should be the same for proper performance.
You will want a front end alignment afterwards.
also google strut replacement. lots of good instruction out there. Look at VW jetta if x-type does not pop up. Keep your fingers clear when reassembling.
Good luck.

Bill

Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

TylerB, keep in mind that the factory struts are made by Bilstien. Yes, they are a little bit more expensive than the Monroes, but not by much and you are going to get something that is vastly better. Then you have 3 choices from which to choose from even. Your car is most likely a basic sedan (not the sport version), so, it most likely came with the "comfort" Bilstiens. You can get a slightly stiffer strut by doing with the sports (the height difference between the two is minimal, so, they will work just fine). If you are planning on tossing the car through curves and whatnot, then going with something like the "heavy duty" struts will be advantageous. Granted, the heavy duties are a bit more than the comfort struts. But, you are getting what you are paying for.

As for getting the new strut bearings, I am a big believer in if you are getting that far into a job like this, might as well replace them too. They don't change the cost of the job by all that much and in the end, you have a good feeling knowing that there is nothing else that could need to be changed out.

The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (08-27-2016)
Old 11-25-2014, 03:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerB
hi I have a bad strut on my front left tire that I am needing to replace. .........
Welcome to the forum Tyler,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Default re

Originally Posted by Bill400
Hello Tyler,
Check to see if Monroe or anyone else has the complete assembly with spring and mount complete. If available, it will save time and eliminate the hazard of removing the springs from the struts.
Oh, did I say struts?
Replace both. The springs and resistance should be the same for proper performance.
also google strut replacement. lots of good instruction out there. Look at VW jetta if x-type does not pop up. Keep your fingers clear when reassembling.
Good luck.

Bill
thank you for the input I will definitely go ahead and do both struts and try to find the full assembly if possible

Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Default re

Originally Posted by Thermo
TylerB, keep in mind that the factory struts are made by Bilstien. Yes, they are a little bit more expensive than the Monroes, but not by much and you are going to get something that is vastly better. Then you have 3 choices from which to choose from even. Your car is most likely a basic sedan (not the sport version), so, it most likely came with the "comfort" Bilstiens. You can get a slightly stiffer strut by doing with the sports (the height difference between the two is minimal, so, they will work just fine). If you are planning on tossing the car through curves and whatnot, then going with something like the "heavy duty" struts will be advantageous. Granted, the heavy duties are a bit more than the comfort struts. But, you are getting what you are paying for.

As for getting the new strut bearings, I am a big believer in if you are getting that far into a job like this, might as well replace them too. They don't change the cost of the job by all that much and in the end, you have a good feeling knowing that there is nothing else that could need to be changed out.

thank you very much for the help. are you positive that the bilstiens were the stock struts? and how much of a difference do you think it might make between a Monroe and just a normal comfort bilstien? and to be honest with you I never heard of replacing the bearings, just possibly the strut, the spring and the mount..

Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Tyler, when you pull off the old shocks and look at the new ones, it will be pretty obvious who made the shocks. As for using Monroes, there is nothing wrong with them. But, the Bilstiens seem to last longer than most others as they tend to be built a bit more stout than the cheaper shocks.

As for replacing the mount, not sure what you are talking about. The lower mount is simply a pinch clamp that is part of the spindle. The upper point is the strut bearing that I was mentioning.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Tyler, when you pull off the old shocks and look at the new ones, it will be pretty obvious who made the shocks. As for using Monroes, there is nothing wrong with them. But, the Bilstiens seem to last longer than most others as they tend to be built a bit more stout than the cheaper shocks.

As for replacing the mount, not sure what you are talking about. The lower mount is simply a pinch clamp that is part of the spindle. The upper point is the strut bearing that I was mentioning.
I learned Monroe struts are 1/2 in LONGER THAN BOLSTEINS. ORIGINAL in my x type. 1/2 in is like 10 feet when doing this job. UNREAL

Old 09-06-2022, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill400
Hello Tyler,
Oh, did I say struts?
Good luck.

Bill
hi
VW jetta and the x type have the same struts ??

Old 09-06-2022, 11:41 PM
Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Sala7,
It's been almost eight years since I posted that comment.
No, I didn't say that the struts are the same. I suggested that a YouTube video for replacing Jetta struts would be similar to the X-Type.
I probably saw a good one at the time, thus the reference.
One thing that I learned about X-Type front end/ engine/ transmission/suspension work:
don't be afraid to support the body and lower the entire sub-structure.