General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 XJS 65 mph vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 93 XJS 65 mph vibration

Hello. I have posted before and received good help lighting on the climate control cover panel. Thanks to the good people on this forum.

I have a 93 XJS convertible with 189K miles. The car has had a vibration in the front end at 65 mph for the past 100+ K miles. I have been through 2-3 sets of tires, wheel balancing, alignments, front end replacement of ball joints and struts but no one can fix the problem. The vibration seems to be diminished when I drive with the convertible top down. I have been asked if the vibration is in the seat or the wheel. I feel it in both places. One mechanic thought it may be the drive train axle. He said possibly the balancing weights on it may have fallen off and it should be checked for balancing. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

With the replacements you've already done on the front end I'd next check the metalastik Crossmember Vee Mounts aren't split allowing the body to 'float' on the suspension.

93 XJS 65 mph vibration-vee-mount.jpg

When these separate it often causes vibration.

Graham

Old 10-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Graham. My 93 xjs convertible front end doesn't look like the pic you attached. Thanks anyway. Any other possibilities? The vibration always occurs between 65-70 mph. Rotating the tires doesn't help, nor does balancing.