General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS/DSC/Traction control: How it works!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: ABS/DSC/TRACTION CONTROL: How it works!

To be honest, I cannot put myself in the position of tellingyou it is ok to drive without the module in the car.
The abs module is tied in to many other modules by way of a network. Would bedetrimental to run it that way. You are saving $1800.00 on the module. My bestadvice would be to spring for the cheapest rental caryou can find for acouple of days and leave the k alone.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Check fhe reloctor the abs reads in the back the cv joint breakz very common

Old 02-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i have a x type 2002 2.5 and was wondering if using a abs module taken from a scraped x type is a good idea as it may brake shortly afterward.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Any idea of how to reset/clear the ABS and traction control lights on a stype? Mine lit up after a fron hub/bearing replacement.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

On the ABS, once the fault is corrected, the light will go away. Its not stored until 'cleared'. Check the wheel speed sensors and harnesses, a good cleaning first is what I recommend. Make sure the thing is connected correctly on the wheel that the hub was replaced first. If a wire pulled out...perhaps misinstalled? Probably an easy fix.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Default DSC and transmission fault

I have a 2006 XK8 41,000 miles. The DSC failure light started to come on and now you can not turn the system off with the dash button. now the transmission started shifting rough now and then. and now the transmission failure light has come on and the transmission was slipping. if you turn the car off it resets and drives normally again.
My question is can the transmission issue be caused by the DSC problem. do these two systems work together at all?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Jack, Its your lucky day!
The first two jag dealership bozos told me the new tranny line. I knew this had to be electronic not mechanical, took it to another dealership and basically told them to do their job and actually think for a change. Turns out the guy that runs the service dept at this particular dealership does know his stuff. He called me back three hours later and said come get it.
He said on the 6speed trannys from 03-06 they have had virtually no mechanical all electrical...they clear the ECM and runit through a re-learn process...drives like the day I bought it...smooth as butter....I had gotten used to it not shifting as smoothly even when it did not mess up.
Guarantee you that is your problem...$300.00 vs $7500.00

Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Default 2006 XK8 tranny

Jack,
Also the DSC problem was unrelated to the tranny just a bad front wheel sensor which apparently is also a popular malfunction.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

FJT: My 99 XK8 (59K miles) is putting out a P1637 code--Can Link ECM/ABSCM Circuit / Network Malfunction. The cruise control's also not working. I started researching this code online, and it could be many things--ABS sensors, ABS module, TCM module, CAN wiring/shorts, brake shop switch. Where would you, as a professional, start to diagnose this problem? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

FJT, would the pump also cause a short that pops the 30 amp fuse? When I replace the fuse all is fine, but if a wheel slips on braking or during acceleration it blows the fuse and I get the trac/abs failure warning. Kind of an old thread but seems to apply to my current problem. I have a 99 XJR, Thanks

Last edited by Jagman99R; 01-30-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DSC failure dash light 03 S Type

following up on the threads, the dealer said I also need a brake booster due to
the code shows Solinoid failure. sorry dont have the code. what are your
thoughts on a used booster, and could the master cylinder be leaking inside to cause the failure. I have added brake fluid twice.

How big of job is the booster, if the wipers,cowl,support bar are all off and
its ready to be done. Im assumming you lay on your back and get up under the dash.?

thanks,

Old 09-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Hello all.

Got a small problem with my newly acquired S-type V8.
Got the DSC System Fault light on constantly now.
My question is: What could it be?
Background, got a seized rear caliper bracket/slider... Could this be why the light is constantly on? If so would the light go out if I change the slider?
How many sensors are there? Just the 4? One for each wheel?
Can't get the codes, for some reason the tech guy tells me he can't connect with the ECU?

Tried to "un-seize" the caliper pin today but the only thing that came lose was my thumb nail...

Where is the sensors located? If I get new ones are the easy to replace or is there anything that I would not be able to do myself? (I am a quite handy guy).

Would be so happy if someone could shine some light on my problems.

Henrik.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM

FJT,

My 97 XJ6, the anti lock light has come on intermittently. is that the same as DSC system light?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this is an old thread but are there any thoughts on if this is possible;

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) retrofit

Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Adding DSC may be complicated, but may be reasonable with parts available from a salvaged vehicle.
I'm looking into it. Any information would be appreciated.

The UK forum has a thread:

Quick Reply: ABS/DSC/Traction control: How it works!