General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Adding too much oil causes . . . ?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Adding too much oil causes . . . ?

I've always heard that adding to much oil will cause problems so I have always been careful in that regard. A few days ago a friend asked me what kind of problems it would cause and I had to say "I don't really know". I just considered it a fact and never questioned it.

So, now I'm asking.
What kind of problems come with overfilling the crankcase?

Last edited by GGG; 03-14-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

If it's filled to the point that it touches the crankshaft throws, the oil can be whipped and aerated into a foam that can cause loss of oil pressure.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Originally Posted by petemohr
.......... A few days ago a friend asked me what kind of problems it would cause ..........
Pete,

A "friend asked"........

Do you have a guilty secret to confess here about your recent XJS maintenance?

Recommended oil capacity is a compromise between the overfill extreme Mike has described and the opposite where the pump draws air because the level is too low. A really serious overfill could cause hydraulic lock as the pistons are on the downstroke against an incompressible fluid level.

Graham

Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Not that I personally did this, but I know someone that did this very thing. This happened to a 79 Dodge Colt. The oil light came on and due to it being a recent oil change, the oil was hard to see on the stick (no light was available). So, a quart of oil was added to the engine and the oil light went out. Shortly there after, the oil light came back on. Figuring that the oil was really low, an additional quart of oil was added. Again, the oil light went out. Shortly thereafter, the oil light came on yet once again. The driver then said "@#$%^ it" and added in 4 more quarts of oil. The motor ran fine and was driven down the road. The driver then noticed that the streetlights he could see seemed to be flicking on and off. That was when it was realized that the motor was burning a ton of oil (due to be over filled) and was blowing tons of black smoke out the back. The car was driven another 40 miles (to get it back home) at which point almost 10 quarts of oil was drained out of a motor that only took 4.5 quarts to be completely full. Upon the refill, all ran fine.

So, yes, the car's mileage dropped like a rock. But, long term, can't say anything else was caused. So, going a quart or two over in most engines I don't think will cause anything significant to happen. Do I recommend doing that. Not really. But, this is just one case where things got taken out of control and all was good in the end other than a slightly lighter wallet.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Pete,

A "friend asked"........

Do you have a guilty secret to confess here about your recent XJS maintenance?
Ha! Actually, we were talking and he was surprised when he saw me grabbing the second 5 qt. container and warned me about overfilling. He's an old American car guy and never uses more than 5 qts. for a change. That got us started on the "what if" discussion.

Thanks to all for the responses. I had to look up "hydraulic lock". Sounds pretty nasty.

pete

Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

Pete, hydraulic lock is one of those things that if you experience it, you will know. If you think you may have, then you didn't. It is a very obvious thing when it happens, especially when things are moving and they suddenly come to a stop.

The following users liked this post:
x-biker (04-16-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Hydraulic lock from an overfilled crankcase is very unlikely to happen on a multi-cylinder engine. As one piston descends, another is rising. The net volume inside the crankcase remains virtually constant.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hydraulic lock is most often a result of one or more cylinders becoming filled with a fluid, often coolant, but could be fuel, or even water if the engine is submerged. The fluid can not be compressed, so with the valves closed the piston can not rise.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too much oil

...most of the posts here are correct but it will increase presure on gaskets, seals and o-rings. Inversely, for being 1 quart low increases the engine temp by about 500 degrees F.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Gross overfilling can cause oil foaming as noted above.

However, slight overfilling will cause no damage and has been specified by Jaguar in the past.

Search for the discussion on the oil level specification on the Silverstone special edition.

In short, Jaguar specified 1 liter above the full mark on the Silverstone edition. It is thought that this recommendation was made to combat oil starvation in cornering.

To implement that recommendation, make sure you are using the right dipstick. The factory has issued two different dipsticks for the 4.0L engines. The later dipstick has the full mark 1 liter above the earlier dipstick. The 1 liter additional is specified as against the later dipstick, so 2 liters above the earlier dipstick.

I run the Silverstone specification without ill effect.

++

The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
jaguarcraver (04-05-2014), Samilcar (04-15-2015), SteveByz (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy burnt-oil smell in cabin

I am looking for an answer to a burnt oil or fuel smell in the cabin. Seams to be stronger when the cabin heater is on. Any advise?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

It's an inline six so I'll defer to those with direct experience.

BTW, the Silverstone thing is in relation to the V8 4.0L not the six.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

SteveByz, when you run the heat-A/C, you are pulling in air from the engine bay (unless on recirc). So, if you have any sort of burning oil smell being produced in the engine bay, you will smell it inside the car. With that being said, it can be something as simple as you spilled a little bit of oil when adding some and it happen to run down and touch the header. You could possibly have a small oil leak from a valve cover that is dripping down on to the header. If we are talking about an X-Type, it could be simply that you overfilled the transfer case and it is now leaking down on the exhaust header. If you can tell us the year and model car we are talking about, we can give you more detailed possibilities of what you are experiencing as we know most of the common issues that these cars suffer.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

To make mayonnaise, use cooking oil, & some seasonings and blend till done. Overfilling an engines crankcase where the oil makes contact with the crankshaft at high speed will make black mayo. I seen this done on a small diesel powered water pump that ran for long extended periods. The oil pump could not pump the black mayo that eventually formed, and the engine wore itself out and seized. I know a lot of lawn mower engines use splash lubrication, but they use a small dipper for that purpose. Not the crankshaft itself. Another case where little is good and a lot is not.