General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C help for '88 XJS in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C help for '88 XJS in California

Greetings. I'm new to the forum and have introduced myself in the newbie section. I believe I've chosen the best forum for my questions because A/C is universal and not model-specific, but I apologize if I should have posted elsewhere, i.e., the XJS forum. I've just acquired an '88 XJS with 43K original miles which has been stored for about 10 years. My first query is as follows: The A/C is an R12 unit and is currently not working. I'm seeking expert advice regarding my options for revitalizing the system. 1) I've seen a conversion kit offered by Jagbits (?) to convert the system to R134. Is this a viable options that's been successfully utilized by any members? Is it cost effective and does it produce good, cold results? 2) I can have it serviced and recharged with R12, but it is very expensive in CA ($80/lb. plus labor). I know A/C is a closed system and shouldn't leak, but reality being what it is, slowly but surely, those damn little molecules often find their way into the atmosphere necessitating yet another expensive recharge. I don't mind spending a little money if it's the only/best alternative, but I'm seeking a more viable alternative if possible. Your thoughts? 3) Another option I've discovered is the manufacture and sale of several alternative blends like Freeze 12. I've read a lot of reports from satisfied customers using Freeze 12 in their outdated R12 systems, saying that their A/C is as cold or colder than with R12. So there it is: I'm asking for any and all input regarding the revitalization of this system; it's been in the high 90s and low 100s for weeks now! Thank you. Walt.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Walt,

Welcome first and foremost.

Your geographic location does dictate certain rules regarding a/c, as you have said. Down here R12 is a NO NO, and has been that way for many, many years. R134a has been the flavour since then. Higher pressures are related to that gas.

Being an '88 it will have that HUGE Black compressor from the dark ages. Works well on R12 in those days. The higher pressures of R134a cause leaks from the front seal, not good. Then add old age, and problems are many.

To regas as is, makes sense to me, and suck and see what issues the system may throw up, you may be lucky??.

My V12's have all got the compact Sanden compressors and R134a gas, and read 4c at the vents in our 50c summers. COOL. The retro is time consuming, NOT hard, and $$ are what they are for the compressor, TX valve, hoses, self made brackets, etc.

Someone in your area will slide by and give some area specific answers soon enough.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-24-2014 at 10:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eyeteech (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I can say that you must be very careful when selecting freon substitutes. Many contain butane or propane, which is EXTREMELY dangerous, as you might expect. Imagine a "freon" leak of butane in your engine compartment!! Not good. Read the labels!
Our shop has converted a number of these to R134a with relative success. In early conversions, we were replacing the compressor and hoses along with the driers, etc. Lately, we are using the factory compressor (providing it isn't in need of repair), draining and replacing the oil with PAG type, flushing the lines, evaporator and condenser; installing a new drier, and getting decent results. R134a seems to work best when there is a good flow of air over the condenser. You may notice warmer a/c at a traffic stop, etc. The small factory condenser fan helps, but it isn't really up to the task! (Of course, I am located in Arizona!) In my overall opinion, "satisfactory".... but not quite as cold as a good R12 car.

The following 3 users liked this post by chopr:
Eyeteech (06-25-2014), GGG (06-25-2014), Grant Francis (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Jaguar addressed this YEARS ago. I'm sure the 'kits' are NLA but you can follow the advise and general procedure. The use of ESTER OIL seems to be the key to compatibility.

I don't know if FREEZE 12 is still available. I have not seen it in parts stores for a while now. I have it in my 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel and it works OK.
The system needs to be charged to 80% of the R12 charge weight.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Eyeteech (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Default Thank you

Thank you all for your input.

Grant, 50c summers...holy cow...glad I'm not there!

Chopr, yes I'd read that caveat before. If Freeze 12 is available, it's the only one I was going to try...I'd read it was 80% R134a...still may go that route, but I'm leaning toward R12 as long as there's no leak. Can the system be evacuated and checked for leaks before being charged, or is charging the system the only way to check? Thanks.

Bob, sorry for my naivete...this is my first Jaguar and I've only owned it for a few weeks. Thank you for the TSB. I am quite adept at things mechanical and could do the swap myself...I'll look into it...thank you.

Thank you all again. Walt.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Default Update!

Well...got lucky...met a guy...had system recharged with R12 for a total of $80 U.S....cold as ice!!

Thanks again, everyone.

Grant Francis (06-28-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Freeze 12 in a BMW e23 745 a number of years ago and it worked well.