General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car trolley ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts
Default Car trolley ideas?

I am embarking on a Jag project that involves stripping a Series III sedan down to a bare hulk. Engine and drivetrain, and front and rear suspensions/subframes will be removed. I'm guessing 2800-3000 pounds for the hulk...or maybe less, as I *could* remove the doors as well.

I'll need to devise a way to move the hulk around the shop for a few days....and also facilitate loading it onto a flatbed hauler for disposal.

Any ideas (and hopefully pics) of an inexpensive, easy-to-fabricate car/trolley? I don't wanna get very elaborate or spend much money on something that'll be used for just a few days.

I have a set of "Go Jacks"
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/zt...FYqEfgod74cAfQ

Maybe just four big-ish blocks of wood between the body and the Go Jacks?

Any other ideas? I've never had to contend with a bare hulk before.

Cheers and thanks
Doug

Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

It sounds like you need a body inverter like the rebuild shops have. An A frame (on heavy duty castors) at each end, and an 18ft long 4" dia water pipe punched through the front and rear firewalls between them. That way you can get at everything. To dispose of it cut through the roof pillars and twice across the floorpan to end up with 4 pieces. You will have to drain the fluids and remove the engine first.

But I'm intrigued - why completely strip a bodyshell and then throw it away? Is it buckled or severely rusted?

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimforrest (uk)
But I'm intrigued - why completely strip a bodyshell and then throw it away? Is it buckled or severely rusted?

Rusted well beyond the point of practical repair and the interior is shot....but the mechanicals are A-OK, including a very sweet running V12, TH400 trans, and limited slip diff.

I'm picking out everything related to swapping the engine and transmission into another car.....as well as a slew of small bits that might be useful in the future or possibly sold. For example, the PO installed new gas tanks relative recently---well worth keeping those!

The car itself was given to me, gratis.

The recipient car is a Ser III XJ6 with very sharp body and interior, new ball joints, shocks, headliner, brakes, etc....but a dead engine...for a mere $1500.

With any luck I'll have a nice V12 Series III sedan in about six months with minimal cash outlay.

Anyhow, I won't actually need a rotating type of arrangement....although I'd love to have one for future projects. Once the front and rear suspensions are out I'll just need a way to move the hulk about for a few days until a salvage truck can get it.

I guess I *could* cut the body apart. That sounds like a bit of work in and of itself, though !

Cheers and thanks
DD

Old 03-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

For short term, semi-disposable use, how 'bout some cheapo casters screwed directly to the chassis. Like so:

Name:  e2ff1f57-c924-4d34-8072-98272f3f3638_zpsdqlyffcq.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  38.5 KB

That's a $16 Harbor Freight special as an example. Only rated for 600 lbs. but should do the job (unless you're gonna lie down under the chassis!)
Swiveling, non-swiveling, different type wheels/tires for various surfaces. Lots of options.

I bought some 10" pneumatics to build a rotisserie someday, hoping they will work in my application. I will have to occasionally get off paved surfaces with it. They were $15 at HF.

Name:  10swivel_zpspmvovevn.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  23.5 KB

Good luck,
Retro

Last edited by retromotors; 03-07-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: 'cause I just can't leave well enough alone!
The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

From what you describe Doug just slamming a door should see it in bits anyway!

Now - a V12 into a straight 6 car. Mechanically probably relatively straightforward, but what about the electronics? (And I do hope we hear more about this project!)

Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimforrest (uk)
From what you describe Doug just slamming a door should see it in bits anyway!

Now - a V12 into a straight 6 car. Mechanically probably relatively straightforward, but what about the electronics? (And I do hope we hear more about this project!)

Naturally I am removing *all* of the V12-specific parts, including electricals, from the donor car. Fortunately the V12 electrical architecture 'stand alone' on these oldie models.....unlike modern cars was several sub-systems are integrated and talking to each other.

Removing the main fuel injection harness (which runs from the boot to the engine bay) was very time consuming! It's been ages since I did anything like this. Non-destructive disassembly of a car is a lot more time consuming than I remembered.

Cheers
DD