General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

welcome ak_jagtek!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
So I thought about the processors. It worked for both single cores and dual cores, except the B950. I did research on incompatibility of the B950 processor. I could not find anything.

So what made the B950 different, than my other processors? This.
The B950 has its graphics chip on the same die as the CPU. All of the other laptops had separate CPUS and graphics chips, though some did share memory.
That would be the Intel GMA driver. You might try looking for an updated driver at the vendor site, or at the Intel site.

Last edited by plums; 11-18-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts

Heima,
Thanks, JC, for taking the time to document your hardware/software analysis.
The insight into what works and why is appreciated.
I've had reasonable success using a Dell T7400, XpPro Sp3 with V128 and V131.
A couple of things worth mentioning for those trying to replicate your success:
Adobe reader is necessary for the diagnostic software to open "read" (vs run) options available under some of the "recommendations".
Some sources (Ebay)of diagnostic software omit the data files. Data files are important for the system to detect and possibly correct corrupt files in the vehicle.
The use of a quality battery maintainer is recommended for a reason. Time passes very quickly while learning/experimenting. Before you know it, the voltage drops and your files become corrupt.
A genuine MongoosePro pays for itself, saves time and agrivation. Especially when trying to get the diagnostics established...is the problem the hardware, software or the operator? The real deal eliminates one variable.

Best reagards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 11-18-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelin
The following users liked this post:
xjrguy (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Well said!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Not Reading VIN

Hi I've just got my MongooseJLR from ebay (most definitely a chinese copy as I've also had an email from ebay saying the listing has been ended), also got the SDD v131.01 v.122. I run it on a Virtual PC with XP pro it all seems to be OK the Mongoose utility says its OK, SDD says it sees the Mongoose but when I read the VIN it just comes back with ?????????????????.

If I then enter the VIN manually it asks me to turn on etc, does that mean start the engine?, it reads for a while and the I get the results but nearly all the modules have a "?" even the ones that I know are there.

If I try to enter the VIN without doing a read it says the VIN is invalid.

I'm new to messing about with the programming of cars, but I always use VM's when messing about with something new on any of my computers as it's easy to snapshot if you make a mistake, I've never used a VM for anything like this.

I have downloaded the manuals I found earlier in this post so I will look to see if there is anything relevant in them I thought maybe someone here may have had the same problem.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Hello people,

I have a Chinese mongoose with v130-yes I know I am a meanie but it does appear to work but maybe not fully?

I have a few queries:

Bill-when you recommend a battery maintainer do you mean on the car or the computer (laptop in my case?).

Like Reg when I do a scan the system cannot scan quite a few of the modules.I have seen reference to a network integrity test but I am quite sure there is no fault with the vehicle.

Do you need IE to do a "run" eg module reflash and/or do you need TOPIX?.

Can datalogger be used to scan for live data etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

RegGraham, i'm not sure if yours is a problem with the cable, or not. Did you use the right Driver for the mongoose? You will need this to run this driver installation program for that version of the cable. See if that helps you. Its the 32-bit version. The 64-bit is here.

To read the VIN, you should at least have the key in ignition and turned to position II, but not started.

Meirion, you can reflash w/o going to Topix, if the latest software version has it included in its database files. (I think!) Use the measurement function to look at live data, you'll have to configure your particular sensors and their parameter's first, but once you do, it'll be there for you later.

meirion1 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1
Hello people,

I have a Chinese mongoose with v130-yes I know I am a meanie but it does appear to work but maybe not fully?

I have a few queries:

Bill-when you recommend a battery maintainer do you mean on the car or the computer (laptop in my case?).

Like Reg when I do a scan the system cannot scan quite a few of the modules.I have seen reference to a network integrity test but I am quite sure there is no fault with the vehicle.

Do you need IE to do a "run" eg module reflash and/or do you need TOPIX?.

Can datalogger be used to scan for live data etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Battery Maintainer isn't really the right word or device here. What is truly needed is a power supply, or voltage stabilizer. The attached describes the one specified by Jaguar, and also explains why it's necessary. Voltage needs to be maintained in a narrow band to prevent ruining your day. Current battery chargers are very active and can change their voltages, charging rates and even float for a time. If that happens in a programming operation it can be catastrophic.

The datalogger's purpose is exactly that, read live data from the various selectable PIDS.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1-224NAS.pdf (136.1 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 12-19-2012 at 10:53 AM.
meirion1 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 PM

Hello Steve,
The nomenclature for the device varies by manufacturer and source.
We are talking about a 13.4VDC (nominal) source to supplement the vehicle battery while we access the vehicle computer. The 120VAC input is converted by a "switch mode" power supply, well regulated to maintain the nominal VDC output with a "ripple" less than 5mV (typically). The recommended Midtronics apparently superceeds the Bosch unit previously recommended by SPX. Both units appear very similar to the Iota DLS series made in USA prior to shifting production to (you guessed it!) China.
The RV community is a big user of the Iota brand. Consequently, Iota units are available reasonably priced on Ebay. I recommend looking for "new-old-stock" with the cooling fins on the sides. Those were made in USA.
The DCV power supply is only required to provide the current normally available from the alternator when the car is running. I use the DLS-45 because it was economically priced and it is very unlikely that the vehicle accessories will draw as much as 45 amps during my testing.
Use of the A/C charger for your laptop is recommended to avoid an inopportune shutdown.

Best regards,
and good luck to those trying to unravel the vehicle computer.

Bill

meirion1 (01-01-2013)
Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
Use of the A/C charger for your laptop is recommended to avoid an inopportune shutdown.
While you're at it, also turn off all power saving features on USB and the computer itself.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I hope this is the right place to ask this: I have a 2007 X Type that I have retrofitted navigation into. I bought a radio from the UK, but I'm in Canada so I want to reprogram it to the Canadian frequencies from the UK ones. My parents have a 2005 X Type with HID headlights and the left one was replaced after a small fender bender by the previous owner and they do not do the self levelling upon starting that the HID's in my car do.

Will either Autoenginuity or the Mongoose tool allow me to reprogram both of these things? I'm willing to invest some money in diagnostic tools if they will do more than just read OBDII codes, as I already have a generic code reader.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't believe the Mongoose will reprogram frequencies for a radio. That might even be a hardware change interior to the radio. If a software change is possible, the equipment might be necessary from the radio manufacturer. Of course, there could be just a couple of jumpers inside of the radio to make this change.

As for the headlight leveling, the mongoose with the JLR software can allow you to check the functionality of the headlights and enable and disable this feature. I can't recall at this moment if there is reprogramming or software updates to the autoleveling headlights.

However, your problem might not be fixable by a software action. There may be a hardware fault somewhere. The JLR software might help you find that fault.

The mongoose and JLR software does far more than an obdII reader.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The Mongoose can do that, i bought a Radio from a North American XJ & reprogrammed it for European frequencies.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Bill400 (01-05-2013), xjrguy (01-07-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Hello Jagboi64,
Before you invest a lot of time touubleshooting that headlamp leveling, check to see if the replacement that the body shop used has the leveling feature.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The headlamp leveling configuration can be calibrated with SDD/IDS.
I just did this on a 2005 S-Type with a replacement HID that was not functioning after it was installed by the body shop. I used WDS but it is all there in the SDD/IDS.

I think it is in the toolbox section 'setup and configuration'.
Just keep looking for things like headlamp calibration or headlamp level sensor etc.

bob gauff

xjrguy (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Well color me learning something new. And keeping my mouth shut.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
The Mongoose can do that, i bought a Radio from a North American XJ & reprogrammed it for European frequencies.
Well done, Cameron.......

The difference is whether the car has NAV or not. Cars without NAV have a radio with all the preset hard buttons, those are used to set it for the market frequencies. Cars with the NAV screen don't have those buttons and have to be set in configuration with IDS/SDD/WDS.

Cheers,

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Recived my Goose on Friday, spent all of yesterday getting a VirtualBox XP SP3 machine build and installed with V130.

Mongoose detected by SDD.

Now when I go to read my vin ( 2001 3.0 S-Type ) it fails ( Ignition On )

When I enter My vin and "Identify" it says I can't uses symtop driven Diags and to use legacy IDS.

When I click to launch Legacy IDS a window pops up, there's a bried IDS splash screen then nothing.

So.

1) Should SDD work on 2K1 S-type?
2) Should IDS launch? Can I do it manualy?
3) Will IDS work with the cloan Goose cable?

4) Or am I out of luck?

TT

Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by twin--turbo
I Recived my Goose on Friday, spent all of yesterday getting a VirtualBox XP SP3 machine build and installed with V130.

When I enter My vin and "Identify" it says I can't uses symtop driven Diags and to use legacy IDS.

When I click to launch Legacy IDS a window pops up, there's a bried IDS splash screen then nothing.

So.

4) Or am I out of luck?

TT
First, re-do your XP install and stop at SP2, SDD doesn't like SP3. Then make sure your Java and Flash is up to date, and try again.

Yes, SDD/IDS will work on a 2001 S-Type.
No, you cannot launch IDS without the SDD front end identifying the vehicle.
I know all this is true with a genuine MongoosePro; I can't say that your problem may not be the clone.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by twin--turbo

So.

4) Or am I out of luck?

TT
What CPU model does that computer have? Sounds similar to my experience.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool