General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Hi everybody,

I am back to report here my difficulties in installing the IDS-SDD on a laptop and to look for suggestions.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to download IDS-SDD for months now on a laptop to be dedicated to the JLR IDS-SDD. I tried on two laptops, using two sets of disks of V131 purchased on ebay and also v130 kindly provided by H20boy on this site... no chance!

The current laptop is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 bought on ebay, with a CoreDuo processor, 2GB of RAM, 80 GB HDD with no partition (only C drive) and Windows XP SP3.

Beforehand, I took care of downloading Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes to look for my needs on Internet, downloading Adobe Reader, Java6 (update 26, but then only 25 when I observed that update 26 was only for 64bit), Winrar, the Mongoose driver, and I checked that Net Framework was there.

XP was the German version, so I had to use the trick to uninstall SP3, change the language and reinstall SP3 in English to be able to use it (still keeps some German wordings in the windows, but mostly usable).

I don't know if the reason for failures is due to softwares that were already installed on the laptop. Those that seemed to me useless I uninstalled, but I avoided uninstalling those I was not sure what their purpose was, whether for Windows or for this specific Panasonic.

Thereafter, I disconnected internet, disconnected the Windows firewall, set the clock on August 2012 as usually recommended, and downloaded v131 full.exe from the disk. With the first set of disks provided by the seller, I had difficulties to download in one run, and at the end of the day never succeeded to access to the JLR software when I entered the ID and password provided (at that stage with the internet connection on, as recommended by the seller, then continuing with it off, as also recommended). The seller then sent me a second set of disks, thinking that v131 writing on the CD may have been corrupted, but same story.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, downloading the v130 offered by H20boy on this server, deleting Malwarebytes, using C cleaner and Defrag in safe mode, etc. etc. still doesn't work.

At this stage, I am wondering whether my laptop keeps elements in the root (maybe from Antimalwarebytes and/or from V131/V130) or has some malicious unvisible malware that would prohibit a correct download.

I am considering to wipe out Win XP and try a fresh re-install. I have acquired a recovery disk for this Pana CF-30 inscluding the drivers and usable if Win XP was factory installed with a valid CoA (probably for updates on the Microsoft website), which is the case.

I am hesitating though because I don't have the Windows XP disks and don't want to definitely lose XP as Microsoft doesn't sell it anymore.

Your help and suggestions are welcome!

Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I've seen that with SP3 you need XP Pro and IE6

I avoided any extra malware etc stuff as I will not connect Windows to the net.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone here use V134?

How do you add keys with this version as on V130 the keys bit was right there in service functions :S

Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts
Smile

Back again, this time withs success and joy, at least up to some point, more to come hopefully!

So, with the great help from some forum members who advised me to make a fresh re-install of Win XP and to make a trial first with SP2 only, getting also only Java6 update 26, Adobe reader 7 and IE6, it all went fine. Took care also to set the clock on 2012, have no firewall, no windows update, no antivirus and no internet connection!

V131 full.exe downloaded well. Reconnected internet, just for the Id and password, as recommended by the V131 software seller: failure, as anticipated. Followed by disconnection of internet, as also recommended and new trial, and...got it, I could finally access to the JLR SDD!

Could then connect the Mongoose and install the driver, greenlight flashing!

I then attempted to download the VDF file, but with no avail, always being stopped before completion due to some data error (circular redundancy). I thought it might be due to chronological inconsistency with V131.0 and decided to download the updates. Did it with 131.01 and 131.03 (131.02 being unnecessary), which downloaded correctly, and came back to VDF download. And then again, success!

Followed-up by the last file with pinpoint test data and that was it.

Next step is to connect the Mongoose on the car, and hopefully it will be able to read the VIN. I will do that next WE cuz I have limited spare time but I'll come back to report.

Final note: I didn't use the disks provided with my Mongoose that contained the V134 files, not willing to run a risk with possible corrupted files.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I purchased my Mongoose (a clone) from BritishDiagnostics and everything seems to work from a hardware and software angle, however it won't read the codes from my 1996 XJS.

It reports that it can't read them because I'm missing some parameters.

I'm running v130, any suggestions.

I'm obviously running the Legacy IDS.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

They ended up sending me v134 and I was able to pull my ABS codes!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Found this on eBay today, and noticed some previous posts regarding 'british diagnostics' offering...

Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

Anyone else use this yet? Seems to come with the interface AND software for only $150!

I merely want to do some simple stuff, like enable global close, program key fobs, and maybe troubleshoot the EPB module...

Think i'll give it a shot...

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

The software is effectively free and a Mongoose JLR costs a very varying amount from about $45 up depending on the phase of the moon or something.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Well, i decided to give it a shot... came to $185 shipped canadian... look forward to checking it out and reporting back my impressions...

Old 08-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple of quick questions. I have a 1995 XJ6 (X300) with AJ16 engine. I need to reset the ECM adaptations.

Can the Mongoose + IDS combination reset ECM adaptations for a 1995 X300 With AJ16 engine? If not, can the VCM + IDS perform the reset?

As for VCM, is the Ford VCM hardware the same or not? I.e. can I use ford VCM with Jaguar IDS?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

I have the Mongoose and JLR IDS v134 and it seems to work sometimes.

It seems to be able to reset the throttle pot, although I don't believe it since it does not ask for any user feedback on the pedal.

It can also reset the lockdown switch. That one does require you to pres on the pedal to get to a certain range.

It also allows you to adjust something else where you need to plug in values from the exhaust. Not sure what that does.

I think that's about it.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
I have the Mongoose and JLR IDS v134 and it seems to work sometimes.
Cool, I thought that the factory broke the ability to run IDS offline after v131.04. Did you have to install a "customized" version of the IDS or any "custom" software, provided by somebody other than Drew and JLR? If you could share the specs of your machine (CPU, RAM) and (OS,Service pack) I'd appreciate it.

What are the symptoms when it does not work?

Originally Posted by Vee
It seems to be able to reset the throttle pot, although I don't believe it since it does not ask for any user feedback on the pedal.
Based on my research, the behavior that you are describing most likely means that IDS works as expected. When you reset the adaptive values for the throttle pot, it overwrites the values in the NVRAM/flash with factory defaults. And then the cycle of learning/adaptation starts again as you drive the car. Over time the ECM software observes the engine performance and makes changes to the values based on what it was able to see. Sometimes the ECM learns some bad habits, like compensating for gummed up throttle body and worn out TPS potentiometer. The reset will force the ECM to forget the bad habits it once learned, after you address the mechanical problem.

GEMS 8 used in some Rover V8 engines, happens to be a close relative of GEMS 6 used in AJ16. It has a nifty feature, where it automatically resets the adaptations for the throttle body if it all of a sudden starts seeing the voltage of a brand new potentiometer, rather than the learned value. This allows you to simply swap the TPS/potentiometer without having to do any ECM programming. I have not seen anything in the Jaguar documentation that mentioned this feature, but I'm not a Jaguar expert and I may have overlooked it. These kinds of features are often added based on experiences learned in the field, so it's possible that only the later versions of ECM firmware have it.

Originally Posted by Vee
It can also reset the lockdown switch. That one does require you to pres on the pedal to get to a certain range.
I'm not familiar with this one, so I can't comment.

Originally Posted by Vee
It also allows you to adjust something else where you need to plug in values from the exhaust. Not sure what that does.
The plugs for O2 sensors are exactly the same, and it's easy to accidentally swap them when doing the work. The car will likely run poorly (if at all, depending on what else is wrong) and throw codes. The ECM can easily discover which sensor is plugged into what bank, by changing the mixture and observing which O2 sensor responds. It allows a sloppy technician an easy way out of this jam.

P.S. I am not new to British cars and GEMS, but I don't consider myself a Jaguar expert. I suspect that there are forum members that know the Jaguar flavor of GEMS better than I do. I'd appreciate if they could shed some light on this.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

@GT42R - any initial results from your new JLR kit?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jonscot
@GT42R - any initial results from your new JLR kit?
Please keep us posted, I am in the market too. If you could share details of the setup, like computer sprcs, OS version and any unusual steps that were needed to make it work, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Has anyone here tried Diagnostic Associated DA-VINA 2534? Seems to be available for GBP 250 in genuine form, which is cheaper than mongoose. Cheaper chinese made versions are also available. Any recommendations on known working VCM clones would be appreciated as well. According to this: China VCM's guide some VCM clones actually work, you just need to buy the correct one. I am wondering if it's also the case with the other two.

I have a 1995 X300 and I am still confused about STE11-06 service bulletin, according to which the Mongoose (and other J2534 VCI devices) have limited support for X300. The document specifically says "Vehicle Line fully supported apart from flash programming of AJ16, AJ26, and AJ27 ECMs."

I get conflicting information on this, because people say that you can reset adaptives with Mongoose on X300. What else is there to flash program in GEMS 6 ECU? The firmware upgrade on these requires physically swapping the chip for a new one. I am not sure about the AJ26 and AJ27 ECMs, they are Denso and seem to be completely different from GEMS.

Last edited by juha_teuvonnen; 08-09-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
A couple of quick questions. I have a 1995 XJ6 (X300) with AJ16 engine. I need to reset the ECM adaptations.

Can the Mongoose + IDS combination reset ECM adaptations for a 1995 X300 With AJ16 engine? If not, can the VCM + IDS perform the reset?

As for VCM, is the Ford VCM hardware the same or not? I.e. can I use ford VCM with Jaguar IDS?
There are three procedures that are necessary to complete on the AJ16 from time to time.
1. Clearing ECM adaptions, [AMFR & FMFR] called "Reset Adaptive Terms" on the PDU diagnostic tool menu.
2. Throttle Adaption - has to be run after any tinkering with the throttle sensor, butterfly or base air change. [cleaning the throttle changes base air]
3. Oxygen Sensor Orientation - by which the ECM figures out just where each O2 sensor is connected.

The rub is, the old Jaguar PDU device is the only one I know of that can do all three. WDS/IDS/SDD can all do 2 & 3, but not No. 1. The Reset Adaptions is probably needed less often, but when it is needed, it is REALLY needed.

The Ford VCM is the same as the Jaguar VCM, and can be used interchangeably.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
juha_teuvonnen (08-10-2014), Vee (08-27-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
There are three procedures that are necessary to complete on the AJ16 from time to time.
1. Clearing ECM adaptions, [AMFR & FMFR] called "Reset Adaptive Terms" on the PDU diagnostic tool menu.
2. Throttle Adaption - has to be run after any tinkering with the throttle sensor, butterfly or base air change. [cleaning the throttle changes base air]
3. Oxygen Sensor Orientation - by which the ECM figures out just where each O2 sensor is connected.

The rub is, the old Jaguar PDU device is the only one I know of that can do all three. WDS/IDS/SDD can all do 2 & 3, but not No. 1. The Reset Adaptions is probably needed less often, but when it is needed, it is REALLY needed.

The Ford VCM is the same as the Jaguar VCM, and can be used interchangeably.

Cheers,
Thanks a lot for a very educative and insightful post. I do appreciate it. It seems to me that Ford now has a new VCM, called VCMII. Do you know whether this one also work for Jaguar, or is it true only the original VCM?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by GT42R
Found this on eBay today, and noticed some previous posts regarding 'british diagnostics' offering...

Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostics Coding Programming Kit Dealer Software IDS SDD JLR | eBay

Anyone else use this yet? Seems to come with the interface AND software for only $150!

I merely want to do some simple stuff, like enable global close, program key fobs, and maybe troubleshoot the EPB module...

Think i'll give it a shot...

As an update...

Received my ebay scan tool from british diagnostics...

Arrived super fast from the UK, came in a padded envelope, with two DVD's inside and a (mongooseJLR) interface cable.

No instructions enclosed, but you insert disc 1, there is an "video instructions" folder with clips outlining the installation procedure.

Pretty straight forward installation. It does appear to connect to Topix, and there is even username and password included...

I tried launching the SDD, but it said incompatible with my 03 STR, and recommended i launch "legacy software", which opened WDS.

Through WDS i was able to enable my global close feature on the remote.

That's all I had time for, but it worked! Very pleased with it so far and I'll be playing with it some more today!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
As an update...

I tried launching the SDD, but it said incompatible with my 03 STR, and recommended i launch "legacy software", which opened WDS.
How does the legacy software compare to the more modern SDD? Can you do the same programming functions?

I have a 2002.5 S-Type 3.0 and I want to get in and fiddle about with the programming for the electric column adjustments and the folding mirrors. Am I able to have that much control if I use this?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

I expected it was SDD that wouldn't run but IDS (rather than WDS) that would.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool