General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

difference of chinese obd2 cables ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Question difference of chinese obd2 cables ?

Hi,
I'm owner of a mangoose cable.
What is the difference of a mangoose pro or a vcm cable compared to it ?

I'm looking for some more speed on obd2, but I'm not sure where the bottleneck really is ...

Old 09-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

nebel, please take what I am going to say very literal as I am sure there are chinese companies that make a very high quality part. But, on the other hand, there are some that are just flooding the market with whatever that they can make, regardless of what it is made from. Some of the manufacturers are using inferior pieces resulting in something that while at first is seems good, will shortly fall apart. So, it is hard to say what you may find out there. I personally would not go with the cheapest cable that you can find as you are probably increasing your odds of getting something less than stellar.

The big things that I would be looking for is something with either a twisted pair wiring setup (ie, the wiring for a specific set of signals are twisted around each other, which inturn provides for a minimal current field and therefore, less interference with the other signal wires) or a cable with a foil/weave shield around the outside of the cable (prevents outside interference).

As a general rule, the cables are normally not the issue unless you are talking about cables that are a few hundred feet in length. I would venture to guess that the limiting component is the computer/mangoose unit that you are connecting up.

Maybe if I know what you are trying to do I might be able to provide some other insight as to what you may be able to do to get what you are after.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm just a DIY who doesn't care about mechanical robustness.
My first mongoose cable works well, but I think its bloody slow.
My time for flashing some parts of the jag were much longer than I read in this forum.
I'm willing to pay more in order to gain speed, but I don't want to invest in some other fancy features, I don't need.

For some cables a fast 32bit cpu is advertised, so I'd like to find out, whether this has any positive effect noticeable outside the cable ...