General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Feedback on Bagpipe Andy's air compressor fix

Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Feedback on Bagpipe Andy's air compressor fix

I just wanted to acknowledge the good work that Bagpipe Andy has done on the Wabco based air suspension compressor repair kit.

I repaired my 2004 XJR using his kit and the "Air suspension Fault" is now gone. The hardest part is getting the compressor out and back in but even that was not more than 30min in each direction. The compressor itself took less than 10 minutes and was very straight forward.

Many thanks to Andy for making this available.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrisz:
Bagpipingandy (12-25-2013), JimC64 (12-12-2013)
Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear as I just ordered the kit from Andy 10 minutes ago.

Question though....The nearest Jag dealership with the proper computer is 2 hours away. So I can not get the codes easily. Currently my front end is sitting too low ( a suprise I found this morning) My question is: Shouldn't they all be uniformly low? Why is the rear end uneffected? Also..should I not be able to hear the compressor run at times?

Old 07-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to bump this one.

The air filter hose for the compressor on my 2004 Merc E240 broke, and the compressor sucked in all kind of crap. The resault was a cylinder head looking like some one had gone mad with a chain saw inside of it. In some way, it still managed to put out a test pressure of 5,5 bar, way to low for any thing to work.

So, what to do? The compressor is the same wabco you'll find in BMW's Jag's, Merc's and lots of other cars. All the dealer want to sell you the complete compressor, and "no parts available". Retail price in Norway was £1200 or so the last time I asked. Probably a lot more now.

I've rebuild this compressor with a new piston ring from Andy earlier. The resault was fantastic. From stuggeling to meet the 14 bar test pressure in 40 sec (fault 3 of 4 times), it went from 0 to 14 bar in 5 ' ish sec.

This time, a new ring simply would not do it, as the cylinder head had had it.

One again, I emailed Andy, and in exchange for a tiny amount of money he sent a new cylinder head, new piston ring, new bolts, tie straps, gasket, and even a tool to clean debries out of the screw holes my way.

The installation is quick and easy. Resault: Compressor now build pressure as it is supposed to. Wife happy (her car), I am happy (because wife is happy, AND she does no longer need to drive my car (so, basically, I am 2x happy )).

If your compressor is performing sluggish, it probably just need a new piston ring. You'll find Andy here : http://bagpipingandy.com/

As stated earlier, I have no interrest in Andy's company, I am just a happy customer, who saved a ton of money. I want to share my experience, so other car guy's can do the same.

best'
Frode Strand
Chairman of the board, Norwegian Mercedes-Benz Entuhusiasts club.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Andy is indeed "the man" I can speak from personal experience....

Not that I've had compressor issues, or had to replace my piston ring or piston, none of the above.
I travelled to meet Andy at his home and learned first hand of the why's and wherefores of how this fix came about. I saw his small workshop in his garage and listened as he told the tale.

Andy is legend on the VWAudi forums having already helped many many owners.
His kit is now copied of course, but no backup as with Andy's kit.

I can personally highly recommend anyone to use it and or speak to Andy

The following users liked this post:
abonano (07-05-2015)