General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by 540itouring
Hi , i have now got three WDS PTU units and two docking stations. The first docing station had a blown up power supply as it was switched to 110v and 230 volt switched on . This when bang and and that was when i got the system. I spent a long time repairing the power supply and could not get passed the psu just giving a short kick at switch on and then dead. I got another docking unit and dismantled the working psu and have now found the fault with the faulty one. I will now be rebuilding the docking stations ready for working on the PTU software faults. The last PTU i got looks like the battery charges and the WDS FORD software works but the other two PTU will not get passed windows . I an looking for a kind member that may be able to help me with the JAGUAR software for this system as when i get two working i would like to have FORD on one and JAGUAR on the other ptu. I will need to rebuild the battery packs and will also be looking for replacement cells for these packs on the net.

I wonder if it is possibe to copy and hard drive as a spare from my working ptu ?

So if any one has a faulty docking station power supply i am now able to repair them if required.
Please let me know if you can help with the jaguar software
Send me a PM with an email address for me to contact you, or click on my name at the top right of this post and click 'send an email to xjrguy' and include your email address. We'll get you fixed up.

Cheers,

Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi , i now have both docking stations powered up and the first dock loads the ghost disc without any problems but then has a conflict with the cdrom drive IDE interface so has no cdrom device in system to load the disc 2 and 3 . This seams strange as it looks to me as if it is to do with the ghost disc software if the cdrom is found to start up. Any help on this ?

The same PTU with the same software discs load pefect on the second dock but think it may be anther hardware version but looks the same main board .

Next problem is the PTU had a 20 GB drive when the ghost disk was loaded but when it gets almost to the end of cd43a the PTU reports NO DISK SPACE . I clicked clean up and the sofware runs ok but i expect it must have some files lost . What size hard drive should i have in these PTU ? What size is the largest that can be seen by the system ? I was thinking about upto 120 GB ? Thanks for your help from David

Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 540itouring
Hi , i now have both docking stations powered up and the first dock loads the ghost disc without any problems but then has a conflict with the cdrom drive IDE interface so has no cdrom device in system to load the disc 2 and 3 . This seams strange as it looks to me as if it is to do with the ghost disc software if the cdrom is found to start up. Any help on this ?

The same PTU with the same software discs load pefect on the second dock but think it may be anther hardware version but looks the same main board .

Next problem is the PTU had a 20 GB drive when the ghost disk was loaded but when it gets almost to the end of cd43a the PTU reports NO DISK SPACE . I clicked clean up and the sofware runs ok but i expect it must have some files lost . What size hard drive should i have in these PTU ? What size is the largest that can be seen by the system ? I was thinking about upto 120 GB ? Thanks for your help from David
Sounds like the one docking station has a cd drive in it that the original Win98 install doesn't have drivers for.

The PTU's originally came with 6.49GB Travelstar drive in them. I'm not sure how big a drive the system can use. We'll have to wait for Motorcarman to come along, he has used larger drives and I think even a solid state drive at one point. He'll have suggestions.

Cheers,

Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The early Ford PTUs (and Jaguar??) came with a 3.2GB HDD that might be a little small. I loaded Jaguar WDS 38 on the 3.2GB HDD that came with my Ford PTU and bought several 4.3 and larger (maybe 6.4GB??) HDDs for Ford and Jaguar version 43. I think the MAX that will work is about 8GB.

The GHOST disc will partition the drive into C and D. The C drive is set to a certain value and I guess D is what is left over.

bob gauff

Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the battery packs on my ptu are all very poor state and so ordered some new cells and a length of white heat shrink of 105mm when flat. I orderd some GP 3800 cells that worked out cheap. I know these are not quite what old fitted pack says as that said 4000 but expect that these will be fine . I orderd 16 so i can rebuild two packs and then have a working Ford and a Jaguar system ready for use. I cut the old pack open and soldered the cells together and removed the fuses from the old packs to the new cells .I then soldered the circuit board from the old pack to the new one and also swapped all extra insulation fo fuses for old pack to new pack. I then tested for 10 volt output and checked all joints for goog joints and then put the new heat shrink over the new pack after adding a tie wrap to hold the cable. I them low heated the heat shrink and shrunk very easy and looks just like the OEM battery apart from the lable. The new battery was fitted and now in condition mode on the docking station to see how it runs but looks great so far. I will make the second pack tomorrow with the other 8 cells . I would say it has cost approx £30 uk pounds per battery . Can you still get the OEM batteries ? and if so i bet they are not cheap ?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I have read that the packs were available several years ago but the price was around $150 USD.
I did the same thing you did and just bought individual cells and soldered them together and attached the circuit board.

I don't think the capacity matters much as I keep the PTU docked and the best you can hope for is 15 minutes of UNDOCKED battery time anyway. I just run to the car to attach the OBD cable or the A204 battery cable attached.

bob gauff

Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wds update

hello everyone
installed the ghost cd b43 ,and i dont have space for updates tried b44 no luck
about battery cells found those sanyo at the right size and capacity
HR-4/3AU : SANYO-brand rechargeable 4000mAh Ni-MH 4/3A-size cell
waiting for cables to arrive and test on car ,if someone have a204 cable for sale please let me know
thank you

Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I just recently bought a Ford WDS and want to set it up for Jag. I want to start with a new hard drive so I can have Jag on one hard drive and Ford on the other. Can I get a copy of the CD's some one on here? Its been many years from loading up a new hard drive on WDS so I don't remember the procedure? Thanks for the great forum!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Cool

Hello There...
...nice to meet you all here in the "Genrad GDS3500" owners club

:: I have one too

I can confirm the BIOS Password for Genrad 3500 WDS System is: dmwhjw (...yesss! ..thankyou zizip..)

First i replaced the accu Cells with 4300 mAh ones, wich works very well; I used Ni-MH Sub-C Cells 4300mAh 1.2V (cheap and working well); With this mod i got 800 mAh more power in the PDU and all fits into the battery compartment! The accu lasts 2 hours of working then...

I have made a HDD Image of my working german Ford WDS system, and i have a few Ford WDS Discs here if someone needs anything...

At the moment iam installing JAG WDS...hope this will work well

My next tasks:
- Adding 256MB RAM
- Updating to WIn98SE
- Installing PCMCIA WLAN Card for Win98SE
- Adding network Printer over Wlan
- Installing CF Card as Boot device
- Installing VNC Server to work on the car while sitting on the Desktop PC
- Changing Boot Screen to a picture wich shows "Jaguar Diagnostics" or something (..this will be really cool!!!)
- Installing a 2nd custom battery into the HDD compartment, after putting the system CF-card inside the unit...

__________________________________________________ ___

Boot Logo first quick and dirty try ... will be downloadable here s00n...

Last edited by thomas1a; 09-18-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: more inphos
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM

Hi everyone!
I have some problem with WDS.
System can't read information about battery. I checked the battery and tried to communicate with him using my AVR microcontroler to sow what information she send.
And all look good, she (battery) return information about capacity, date of matufacture, manufacturer, ID number etc.

Sow I plugin to WDS and... and nothing.
System see battery but does not show battery information.
When I start WDS, he wants to condition the battery, sow I run it and... and 1 week later baterry have 100%.
But system still want to condition the battery and don't return information about battery.

Could someone check he see information about battery?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 AM

I add photo with information about battery and system.

Attached Thumbnails Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500-c360_2012-10-25-10-11-59.jpg   Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500-c360_2012-10-25-10-11-09.jpg   Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500-c360_2012-10-25-10-11-33.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Hgc
Default Help/software required

Hi there, I am new to the forum(1st post) so hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

I have just acquired a wds, sadly it does not work. Windows 98 will only load in safe mode.

I would like to do a clean install however I don't think I have all the software I require.

I have windows 98 and a cd27 jag disc.

Can anybody tell me if that's all I need before I start. I think I may need GDS Shell?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by HGC
Hi there, I am new to the forum(1st post) so hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

I have just acquired a wds, sadly it does not work. Windows 98 will only load in safe mode.

I would like to do a clean install however I don't think I have all the software I require.

I have windows 98 and a cd27 jag disc.

Can anybody tell me if that's all I need before I start. I think I may need GDS Shell?
Welcome to the Forum, HGC. First thing, go over to the New Member Forum to introduce and tell us a little about yourself. It's always good to create your signature and add what vehicle you have; that helps us know what car you are inquiring about.

After you get your minimum posts in and can send Private Messages, drop me one with an email address you can be contacted through. I should be able to fix you up with what you need to re-load your WDS. You can't just use Win98 and a software CD. You will need the System CD so WDS is loaded with all the proper drivers for the WDS hardware.

Cheers,

Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Hgc

Thanks Steve, have done so.

I'll be in touch soon!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by HGC
Thanks Steve, have done so.

I'll be in touch soon!
Wow! Quite a stable there, John!

Standing by..........

Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Default WDS disks for AM

Hi,

I have read about the possibility of using WDS for Ford, Jaguar, LaRo and Aston Martin. I have just bought a WDS and I want to use it for my Aston Martin. I understood from all the threads that I have read there are disks available. Can anyone help me? I am very willingly to pay for the disks. Thanks in advance for any help.
Robert

Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by aston-jag
Hi,

I have read about the possibility of using WDS for Ford, Jaguar, LaRo and Aston Martin. I have just bought a WDS and I want to use it for my Aston Martin. I understood from all the threads that I have read there are disks available. Can anyone help me? I am very willingly to pay for the disks. Thanks in advance for any help.
Robert
Hi Robert, welcome to the Forum! First thing, make your way over to the New Member Forum and say Hi & introduce yourself; lots of good folks here.

Once you have done that and gotten your minimum posts in, send me a Private Message with an email address to contact you. I should be able to fix you up with what you need, Jaguar, Ford or Aston Martin. If you are comfortable posting the email address here, that's fine, too.

Cheers,

Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Default thanks

Thanks Steve, that's great. I'll introduce myself in the new member section. But I am very eager to get those AM and Jag disks so here is my email: rddvries@home.nl.
Thanks in advance,

Robert

Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WDS for AM

Hi Robert,

What Aston are you going to be using your WDS on?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Default Am wds

Hi,

I am going to use the WDS on a 2000 DB7 Vantage Volante.
Today I visited a friend who works at the local Jaguar dealer. He just traded in an USA import DB9. Together with the paperwork was also an official Aston dealer bill. Just only €6700,- for service and minor repair. I think the diagnosis was about €650.
So I am quite happy with the slow running but working WDS.

Quick Reply: Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500