General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by asgarond
Hi Bob,

thanks for your suggestion. I actually thought in the same way and ordered a PCMCIA2USB Card yesterday. It was just 6€ from China and will arrive after Christmas.
Upgrading will be a Problem for the 3GB disk. But I received another 4 GB disk yesterday and set it up without deleting anything, and it went through without comments.

But the higher operating system will go, the more resources I will need.
I don't think WinME will be very fast on the Pentium at 240MHz.

Best regards
André
Andre,

If you were able to get Jag 43 up and running on a 4.3GB HDD your very lucky. I've only had success with sourcing 6.4GB HDD's.

I sold off my WDS stuff bit i might have 1 or 2 6.4GB HDD's left that are plug and play in the WDS.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Bob,

hard drives of that size seem hard to find - to a reasonable price.

I tried the 20GB drive but booting stopped right under the BIOS table. So I guess it has nothing to do with partitions.
Additionally it is funny enough that the System did not start as I shifted space with a partitioning tool from D: to C: . Very strange.

The 4.3 GB drive worked fine however.

So if the 6.4 and the 8GB do work I will be looking for them too.
And of course the compact flash cards. The card adapters are about 2€ from the Chinese market. But they will take some time.

Did anyone of you do some measuring on the cables for the "B-port" ?
Meaning which pin goes where from plug to plug.
Background for me is that the B203 / B280 seem hard to find. The Ford cables are more frequent. If I now know the pin setting of either one I could set up an adapter between OBD-plug of the cable and OBD-socket of the car.

Best regards
André

Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I find Compact flash 44 pin IDE adapters on eBay for cheap and within the country so shipping is usually a few days.

bob

Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Andre,

First of all congratulations on your extensive report on your WDS experience. Impressive how you struggled around the issue of not having a docking station.

On the issue of the cables - I don't think the cables are just 'connectors' between the OBD2 pin layout and the WDS. Unlike the 12v power cable (of which you found the layout in an earlier post) I believe the B203 and B280 or B259 cables must have some kind electronic circuitry board inside of them. If you measure pin connections, you will find that some connections will have 0 ohms resistance, while others have values of several hundreds of ohms. You will also find that current direction is important - implying that diodes might be involved and I also believe capacitors are involved because you can charge the cables a little bit. I never had the guts to try to open one of my cables (too expensive) and I never could find anywhere on the net someone else who did, so I don't know if I'm correct. It is challenge to everybody :-)

Good luck with your WDS - if you have questions - please ask...

Old 12-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Dear Yvo,

thanks for your comment.
What a pity . I had hoped all the electronic would be on the Instrument board inside the PTU. I have several (Clone-) Mongoose cables, but they are pretty easy to dismantle.
Now I will have to do some testing with a Ford cable of a friend of mine, if I do not succeed to get a B203/280 until my cat comes back in March.

There is a General layout of OBDII cables for Ford/Jaguar/Mazda/Toyota which differs slightly on some pins. It might be possible to plug a "redirector" between ODB-plug and ODB socket.
But I fear that the cables are coded by Pins at the PTU, so that this device will directly detect, what is connected.

regards
André

Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cables again

Hi guys,
You may have answered a queery I have, I have a B280 cable which works ok so know unit is working, and I have tried to make up a B203 cable using the correct pinout details as described earlier on on this post (and confirmed by checking a complete cable) but up to now I have tried half a dozen times to make good the plug set up but it does not get recognised by the PTU as keeps asking to connect cable to B port, so there may be something in your theory that there are some hidden diodes/resistors in the cable make up.
The cable I am attempting to convert is a later VCM cable that only had 20 pins which I have carefully liberated from the plug but there isn't anything extra at that end so if it is it could be in the 16 pin end.
hope you can find out as I was thinking that it was me.
regards and awaiting further developments
rrosscoe

Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 AM

update to Cables again,
thought I would re check my B280 cable so got the test meter out,
Right what I found was this,

40 pin to 16 pin as in picture below (thanks to I think motorcar man for pic)

1 = 0.8 - 1.0 Ω
8 = 0.8 - 1.0 Ω
7 = 1.0 Ω
15 = 0.8 - 1.0 Ω

16 = 1.4 - 1.6 Ω
10 = 1.0 Ω
2 = 1.0 Ω
5 = 0.6 Ω
12 = 1.0 Ω
13 = 1.0 Ω
5 = 0.8 -1.0 Ω
16 = 0.6 Ω
5 = 0.8 -1.0 Ω
4 = 0.5 Ω

so it could be small differences in my connections to the pins that give small deviation in resistances, OH and I did check them both ways to check for diodes, so it would appear that they are just cables after all, which does not help me in my quest to make a cable up.
still trying
regards
rrosscoe

Old 12-09-2016, 07:20 AM

ops didnt copy image try again eh

hurray worked

rrosscoe

Old 12-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Hi rroscoe,

geat job you did.

Now let me give you the pin-assigment of the OBDII socket/plug for the Mongoose Pro

Hope that helps.

Did you check also, if there is a connection inside the 60-pin-plug that might "code" the cable ?

Best regards
André

Last edited by asgarond; 12-09-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Thank's Andre,
will have good look and see what is missing from my 16 pin pin-out taken from jaguar wiring dagram but I would have thought that if pin 1 on 16 pin goes to the top left on drawing and the other ones go to there respective number then if it was JUST a cable then my attempt to make one up would have worked, however as said I have tried half a dozen time to make the correct plug but just get "Connect plug to port B" so something is not quite making a connection, will keep trying.
regards
rrosscoe

Old 12-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Hi rroscoe,

just put in another question into my post (but you already posted in parallel)

"Did you check also, if there is a connection inside the 60-pin-plug that might "code" the cable ?"

Anyway, I will get my cable from England within the next two weeks and will then be able to do some more Investigation on that one.

cheers
André

Old 12-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Good news,

out of a liquidation we were able to afford some Units and lots of cables.

Now I will have to do all this work on the remaining units. And, of course, check the cables.

Cheers
André

Old 12-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

WOW!

Good score!

Can you do me a favour, the WDS that's sitting on the red toolbox, is there a brand or part number for that toolbox? I don't have a trolley for mine and ive been trying to find a roller toolbox for it, but you know the docking station is a bit of an odd size, I have not been able to find one that it fits on nicely...

Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM

Great find!!! Docking stations are getting hard to find. I have one working and one broken Docking Staion with 2 fully operational PTUs.

The B203 and A204 are what you need for the older Jags so maybe you got some in the deal.

bob

Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 AM

Hi Bob,

we have the B203 and the B280 on board as well as some of the other cables.
I already did some testing with pin-correlation.
I tested the B280, B207, C201 and C202. I figured out that for the B-cables it seems to some Sudoku-Puzzle, as different cables seem to use different pins.
Hope to figure out some kind of Matrix to make it easier to rebuild them.

@Cambo
I will ask my friend for the red Toolbox.

best regards
André

Old 12-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Hi Andr'e,
Nice find on the units and cables, just in case I cannot get my B203 to work if you find a "spare" one amongst all your goodies can you put it aside for a while in case I have to end up buying one (ooh come over all funny) and if you manage to get the matrix it will help everybody I think as they are a bit of a mystery, just as an after thought do you know a supplier for compatable pins for to cables as the original ones I have been using have lost there grip, I have tried IDE cable pins but they are incorrect as have some others I have tried from Maplin, I think the problem is that they have no support out of the 40 pin socket that is why they get loose and proberly do not make positive connection.

regards
rrosscoe
ps merry christmas to all

Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 AM

Well yesterday I dug out my old Windows 98SE UPDATE disc and loaded it onto the PTU. I chose SAVE FILES so it can be UNINSTALLED if I need to.

All went well and then I unplugged the HDD (8GB compact Flash with adapter to 44 pin) and installed it onto a USB to 44 pin adapter. I plugged the USB into my DELL laptop Windows XP and did a DEFRAG. It is faster to let a 2.4 GHZ laptop DEFRAG than to let the Pentium I 233 MHZ try to struggle though it (10 min instead of HOURS).

A NEW install is NOT an UNFRAGMENTED disc. Even GHOST, 42a and 43 install leaves fragments.

The 98SE is supposed to be able to recognize USB so I ordered a PCMCIA USB to try in the PTU. Flash Drives are handy.

I also ordered a PCMCIA Compact Flashcard adapter. I am hoping to get a new/defragged install and GHOST the install onto several 8GB CF to have as spares.

Anyone tried the 98SE upgrade??

I'll report back when the PCMCIA devises get here.

bob

Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 AM

Dear Bob,

that's exactly what I want to do.
I tried that with a reinstall of Win98 SE over the existing System. But although I used a complete bunch of recommended Parameters with the Setup.exe it installed into a new Folder ignoring the existing System.ini.
At least I now received the IDE-to-CF Adapters and was able to install everything even onto a 16GB card. So why the hell does it not accept the bigger harddisk ?

I am also waiting for my PCMCIA-to-USB Adapter from China and will obviously have some Trouble to get the richt Drivers for that.

Is there a possibility to create an ISO-file from your Update-disk ?
Cant seem to find it .

I will Keep you updated on my Progress here.

(Please excuse all the nouns in capital letters - auto-correction )

Best regards
André

Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 AM

I can create the .iso file but I would need a site to upload to.
A full install will likely not work. The 98SE upgrade needs to have 98 already installed.

It just upgrades the Windows portion and leaves TABMAN and GDS Shell intact.

I have not received my PCMCIA adapter yet to try the USB function.

The one thing that is annoying about the upgrade is that the SHUTDOWN 'hangs' on the 'WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN' screen.

I usually just undock the PTU and unplug the battery to shut it down when I see it not responding.

I remember it did the same thing more than 15 years ago when I upgraded my Sony VAIO from Win 98 to 98SE. I had to hold the power button until it shut down.

I still have old disks from 'the-old-days'.
Widows 98 Full Install
Widows 98 SE Upgrade
Widows 98 SE Full Install
Widows ME Full Install
Widows 2000 Pro
Windows XP Pro

I'll create the .iso soon.

bob

Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM

I got the .iso image created.
Here is a screenshot of the software level.

Let me know if you have a site to upload the 98SE upgrade .iso

bob

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station