General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to flash VID block on ECM?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to flash VID block on ECM?

To make a long story short, I stumbled on this site through this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...c-fixed-67541/

My car is a 03 Jaguar X type. And it's completely dead. Cranks endlessly, but no turnover.

I have SDD 134 with mongoose IDS (I'm not sure if it's a clone or the real thing) -- I also have access to a genuine J2534 programmer CarDAQ Pro that also works with SDD.

I have no problem with actually connecting to the car and everything.

But I cannot program the VID block. If you read the linked thread (particularly post #10), you'll see the OP talking about programming VID block and then actually programming the ECM.

SDD does not detect the ECM at all. When I request the VIN through the VID block, all I get is 00000 or ????? -- clearly the VID block is corrupt. I'd like to restore it.

BUT.

It would seem that a couple of steps are missing from OP's instructions on post 10 -- as in, how do I enter the engineering mode? It would seem that he managed to overwrite the VID block on the ECM through the engineering mode...but I can't. When I click the engineering mode (golden key in SDD), it asks for a password. I don't know the password.

Can anyone shed a light on this?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

AFAIK there is no way into Engineering Mode without the one-time passcode, which you can only get from the SDD Helpline (i.e. JLR directly) and you will need to have a Topix Programming subscription for that....

Have you tried entering the VIN manually, and then going through the symptom selection to forcibly reflash the ECU?

We had to do this once with an XJR, it would not read the VIN because the GEM was corrupt (laptop crashed during reflash). After manually entering the VIN and going through the symptoms, we were able to force the reflash even though the system said it could not communicate with the module.

Good luck with it....

The following users liked this post:
DrLex (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Can an ordinary OBD tool see the PCM? If not, have you checked wiring etc right through to the PCM? They don't tend to lose their programming.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
AFAIK there is no way into Engineering Mode without the one-time passcode, which you can only get from the SDD Helpline (i.e. JLR directly) and you will need to have a Topix Programming subscription for that....

Have you tried entering the VIN manually, and then going through the symptom selection to forcibly reflash the ECU?

We had to do this once with an XJR, it would not read the VIN because the GEM was corrupt (laptop crashed during reflash). After manually entering the VIN and going through the symptoms, we were able to force the reflash even though the system said it could not communicate with the module.

Good luck with it....
Wow, sweet! Thanks for the info, I shall attempt it.

I have no problem with buying a Topix subscription if it gets me the seed password to fix the car, but last time I attempted to get a password (it was back in 2012) and the tech over the line said that they don't give out seed password just to anyone -- you need to have a 1 year subscription.

Is that still true? Or can I just buy a 1 day subscription and then ask for seed password?

For some reason I can't reply to your PM.

@Jagv8:

Yes, we've checked the wiring to the ECM -- it's perfectly fine. I think the PO messed up the calibration update (some way, somehow) and it bricked the car completely.

I would do a complete ECM replacement, but problem is, new ECM costs $1500+, and once programmed, ECM are locked. It's not like a Ford or GM where I can take any JY ECM and program it and be done with it, you know?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351

Good luck with it....
There IS a way to enter an engineering mode. I'll PM you, but if you'll promise to keep it in secret

Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Default How long should ecm programming take?

I just wondering how long it takes to program ecm. I can hear it activate when I start the programming, but I have had it running for 5 hrs.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpicco68
I just wondering how long it takes to program ecm. I can hear it activate when I start the programming, but I have had it running for 5 hrs.
Welcome to the forum rickpicco68,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 09-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpicco68
With mongoose clone a ECM or TCM flash may last forever. Also there may be some issues after a programming (last time i've seen an unresponsive TCM, which was hard enough to reprogramm and get to work). It's better to use a Rotunda VCM.
A ECM or TCM programming usually takes no longer than 15 minutes.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 PM

What functions sit behind the 'Engineering mode'. I'm unable to re-flash my TCM after a failed attempt to clear the adaptions. Now I get 'Can't communicate with TCM' message when I attempt to do a re-flash. I have IDS/SDD V130 and all other functions work without any problem. Any secret stuff behind he gold key that might help me??

Old 06-13-2015, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
There IS a way to enter an engineering mode. I'll PM you, but if you'll promise to keep it in secret
Hello, I also need to enter engineering mode. If you'd be so kind as to PM me too then I'll also keep it quiet.
Regards,
David

Old 11-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davemac
Hello, I also need to enter engineering mode. If you'd be so kind as to PM me too then I'll also keep it quiet.
Regards,
David
hello. Me too. I just picked up an ids/sdd tool v131 and would like to have full capabilities. I appreciate the help. I am in Detroit metro area and have not found much help locally.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know how to get into engineering mode? I have SDD V131 on a cf19 toughbook and have DA-Vina cable. I would like to reconfigure my ecm from Automatic Trans to Manual trans. I know that the Vin need to read as SAJEB51 for manual and SAJEA51 is the Automatic. I need to change the VID Block to read as such. I read on Jaguar Bulletin 1-186 how to reconfigure the info. Thanks!

Attached Files

Last edited by boringb5; 01-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think you call Jaguar and they issue a passcode - if you've an up to date member subscription.