General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to make you car last forever...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make your car a life time

I am a retired mechanic and agree that it is best to service your car every year use good oil I use Mobil 1 change gear box oil at around 30000 Miles make sure it is the correct oil change supercharger oil approx.60000 due all this despite what Jaguar say . I have had mine wax oiled including behind the
plastic sill covers. Repair any kerb damage to wheels my STR has 19" alloys to easy to hit kerb.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by ServiceMasterD
And don't use Costco gas...
But but but but- Costco is part of the 'Top Tier' gas scam.

Good write up otherwise.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

When clients come in and complain about odd running conditions, stalling after filling with gas, poor idle occasionally but no MIL lit up, I immediately hook up my handheld and look at all the running parameters, fuel trims, freeze frame data (to see if historical exists) etc.

I can honestly tell you that 90% of the time there are no codes, the client has just filled up with Costco gas. Maybe it's my locale, but this has been a pattern for at least 5 years!

I had 4 clients who were willing to track data for me. I asked them to drive their vehicles for 2,000 miles using only Costco gas and note the mileage. Then drive for 2,000 miles using non-Costco gas. Every client experienced a gas mileage increase with non-Costco gas. It ranged from 1.5 mpg on an X308 to 5 mpg on an X350.

One of my clients works for the fuel and oil sales industry, and he stated it's due to the Ethanol content, which is what I had suspected but couldn't prove.

The Ethanol content may vary from state to state, but this is my experience.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM

One of my clients works for the fuel and oil sales industry, and he stated it's due to the Ethanol content, which is what I had suspected but couldn't prove.
That sort of reduction in mileage is to be expected when using ethanol fuels, no matter what brand.

Costco gets their fuel at the same refinery as everyone else in the area. The only variation from one brand to another is to do with type and volume of additives, none of which could have any immediate effect on fuel consumption.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 PM

I have no technical hard data, other than the feedback from the four clients, which is not extremely scientific but does point to a trend.

I tried it on my 05 XJR, and the result was about 2 mpg worse with Costco gas. Admittedly my driving habits are far from identical every day, but this was over 2,000 miles so there was a bit of averaging.

I can't explain the running condition issues at work with any degree of scientific fact. I can tell you that for at least 4.5 years, i have had many (more than a hundred I would guess) clients with inexplicable intermittent rough running conditions that went away after switching from Costco fuel. It may be the Ethanol, I have no way of knowing. All of these clients had no fault codes or MILs.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

my way:

make a list of every liquid used in the vehicle from bumper to bumper.

consider them consumables and schedule changes at a comfortable interval

this includes taking guidance from manufacturers other than Jaguar who use the same components. for example, the supercharger is used in many makes and other makes who use the supercharger in greater volumes specify a change interval as little as 30K miles whereas Jaguar considers the unit to be "sealed for the life of the unit". ditto for the Merc transmission. Both Merc and Chrysler specify a change interval starting at 60K miles while Jaguar thinks you should run it to death and buy a new one. Ummm ... no thanks.

make a list of every non-liquid consumable and schedule an appropriate check and replace interval.

the key word in both sections is every.

the second key concept is to think, observer and learn rather than rely on arm chair quarterbacks quoting the owners manual as if were the tablets carried by Moses.

and finally oil spray everything you can get to and then some. repeat every two or three years. there is no such thing as too much rust protection. it also keeps those chassis fasteners in better shape for the inevitable bushing replacements.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

I have no technical hard data, other than the feedback from the four clients, which is not extremely scientific but does point to a trend.

I tried it on my 05 XJR, and the result was about 2 mpg worse with Costco gas. Admittedly my driving habits are far from identical every day, but this was over 2,000 miles so there was a bit of averaging.

I can't explain the running condition issues at work with any degree of scientific fact. I can tell you that for at least 4.5 years, i have had many (more than a hundred I would guess) clients with inexplicable intermittent rough running conditions that went away after switching from Costco fuel. It may be the Ethanol, I have no way of knowing. All of these clients had no fault codes or MILs.
Actually you can get hard data. Monitor LTFT on the two brands/grades of interest. The LTFT will trend higher with higher ethanol content. Mine is near zero on Shell V-Power, but put ethanol blended premium in it and the LTFT is closer to +8. Change back, and it is near zero again.

The following users liked this post:
ServiceMasterD (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 AM

Holy crap. Sometimes the easiest answers are right in front of you!

Can't believe I never thought of that. That's a great tip, and I'm gonna start doing that tomorrow...

Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Holy crap. Sometimes the easiest answers are right in front of you!

Can't believe I never thought of that. That's a great tip, and I'm gonna start doing that tomorrow...
Be fair and monitor on the second tank of each to make sure you are monitoring only after flushing the rest of the other.

I did my original set on a series of long trips on the same route that I take regularly. Each leg takes a tankful so it was easy to duplicate roads and conditions.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Actually you can get hard data. Monitor LTFT on the two brands/grades of interest. The LTFT will trend higher with higher ethanol content. Mine is near zero on Shell V-Power, but put ethanol blended premium in it and the LTFT is closer to +8. Change back, and it is near zero again.
Please give some more details.

The higher LTFT is the same (near enough) on both banks, is it?

Does it stay higher throughout the rev range (maybe not at WOT) and regardless of whether revving parked or just driving?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM

It might be worth noting that Costco is one of the greatly revered retailers of 'Top Tier' fuels. You can fuel some of the people some of the time, etc.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I JUST got 1/2 tank of Costco gas, and my check engine light came on today.

Was this serious or a joke?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:11 AM
    Veteran Member
    Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Read the codes, either way, then hop over to the S-Type forum.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lectric
    I JUST got 1/2 tank of Costco gas, and my check engine light came on today.

Was this serious or a joke?
    As mentioned, Costco has been certified as being one of the 'Top Tier' brands. Given the discrepancies noted, The OP's list of recommendations should be disregarded.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 AM
    Received 219 Likes on 97 Posts

I love the unput guys, and I'm not to bring anybody down here (especially because the people that said this are very smart in this forum and have given tons of advise and taught me a lot!) but somebody said "there is little proof that the manufacturers recomendation is not optimal" I am the guy that takes apart engines and sees the customers history, and I see that those who religiously change it at 5000 miles AND put a superior oil have a brand new engine on the inside (why do u open it if its so good? Because you know, timing chain tensioners :/) and those cars have less or no leaks and their engine parts look silver (like they were from brand new). Those who follow manufacturers specs (most of my customers) have sludge inside. I SEE IT AND THAT'S ENOUGH PROOF TO ME. Transmissions, like I said, flush that mineral crap and put something better, it'll last forever. But again, no disrespect to anybody I respect everybody's opinion. I just felt like posting this list because is what I do for my car based on 8 years of Jaguar fixing experience.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by daxter1987
    I just felt like posting this list because is what I do for my car based on 8 years of Jaguar fixing experience.
    Many of the posters here have 40+ years related experience, myself included. Again, your generic list is based on assumptions, guesses and false logic which can do more harm that good.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
    Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
    Please give some more details.

The higher LTFT is the same (near enough) on both banks, is it?

Does it stay higher throughout the rev range (maybe not at WOT) and regardless of whether revving parked or just driving?
    Yes, both banks are balanced.

I tend to look at it during cruise at highway speeds.

The onboard "average mpg" display will also follow the trend.

The following users liked this post:
    JagV8 (01-28-2015)
    Old 01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
    Veteran Member

I love the unput guys, and I'm not to bring anybody down here (especially because the people that said this are very smart in this forum and have given tons of advise and taught me a lot!) but somebody said "there is little proof that the manufacturers recomendation is not optimal" I am the guy that takes apart engines and sees the customers history, and I see that those who religiously change it at 5000 miles AND put a superior oil have a brand new engine on the inside (why do u open it if its so good? Because you know, timing chain tensioners :/) and those cars have less or no leaks and their engine parts look silver (like they were from brand new). Those who follow manufacturers specs (most of my customers) have sludge inside. I SEE IT AND THAT'S ENOUGH PROOF TO ME. Transmissions, like I said, flush that mineral crap and put something better, it'll last forever. But again, no disrespect to anybody I respect everybody's opinion. I just felt like posting this list because is what I do for my car based on 8 years of Jaguar fixing experience.
    +1

There is much truth in the old and often repeated mechanics' saying: "pay me now or pay me later".

Usually followed by a laugh and a shrug.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 AM
    Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah I know, the title is out there, and is meant to catch your attention. As a mechanic with some years of experience under my belt and seeing how I am nuts and I treat my car like a giant baby (love that commercial), a friend came and ask me: I just bought a new car, what are the steps you took to ensure your will last forever?

Forever is a big word, but I did do unusual things. Why did I do them? I can read a lot in the internet, in the forums, engineering books, etc, but nothing beats seeing something for yourself. I see the chosen few crazy as me customers that do these things, my boss and I of course, and I see the results. If 10 XKs come to the shop and their engine runs rough at 80'000 miles, and one customer comes with 120'000 and his engine runs better, I wonder why, look at the service history and and draw conclusions. My boss and his 30 years of experience also explain to me and after everything is said and done, these are the things I DO (I STAND BY WHAT I WRITE BY DOING THIS ON MY BRAND NEW BABY) because I know better. Because I'm the guy that opens up engines and sees what is inside. I write this knowing that some people are going to hate, but is what I believe. And some of you might want to try it. Here I share MY MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE:

jaghelp.com: How to make your car last forever
    I saw you recommend Motul. They now have an oil just formthe Jsguar 5.0 - Motul Specific 925B. Only problem is, I can't seem to locate any in the U.S.A.. Any ideas, or should I just order it from the U.K. And pay the freight?

Last edited by Nookieman; 03-29-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 AM
    Veteran Member
    Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Historically the Brits have a different attitude to motoring than the USA . We tend to drive smaller cars with smaller engines ( & diesels ) & do less miles P/A. we also change our cars more often. We tend to service our cars " By the book " In fact my Peugeot 308 150 SE Auto recommended oil changes every 48 months or 20.000 miles . We don't have the history of 1950's Chevy stovebolt 6's that needed an oil change every 3000 mile or 10 mins. Also we never had ,cheap , throw away , oil like the USA & with high fuel prices , we always had to watch the pennies . as far as motoring is concerned .