General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Interior headliner material coming off pillars

Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior headliner material coming off pillars

Hi. I'm new at this and going to just plunge right in. (I'm not sure if all my terminology will be right and will happily accept correction.)
The fabric that looks like headliner material is falling off of the pillars that go alongside the inside of the windshield.
My question is, what is the best way to approach it? Can I remove them simply so I can repair it smoothly and comfortably or do those they stay In place?
This is a 2005 X Type and my first Jaguar. She's in good shape and runs well. I don't want to mess it up. I'd be so sick inside!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

The pillar on the inside of the windscreen is the A-Post - not a name anyone would guess! Here's an extract from the Parts Catalogue showing the names of all the posts:

Interior headliner material coming off pillars-trim.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The A-Post trim falling off is an issue on a number of Jaguar models, particularly in hot climates. I expect you'll get help here from members who have resolved this.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-22-2017 at 04:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BByrum (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 AM
Received 10,284 Likes on 6,805 Posts

Rather common.

Once it starts to lift/bubble, it should be replaced. Reglueing rarelt works.

You are also correct, it is the same material as the headliner. Easily sourced from any Auto trimmer, and is not specific to Jagauar in any way.

The following users liked this post:
BByrum (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help, guys I really appreciate it. It will be a few weeks, probably, before work gives me a chance to get at it but, I'm so excited I'll have a hard time waiting.
Graham, thanks especially for the diagram.