General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mysterious illumination

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts
Default mysterious illumination

Am I inadvertently doing something to cause this problem?

its daylight....I come to a stop and park, hand brake on, lock doors....lights off

And on several occasions I come back some hours later to find the side lights are on.....but they are switched off at the light stalk, indicator stalk is in neutral.....in theory the lights should not be on at all

I get in the car.....key in and turn on the ignition......turn off the ignition.....lights off?.....what is going on

Old 06-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Probably keyfob in the pocket hitting the lights button!

Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Could also involve alarm system.
My key fob (X300) is not prime.
Locking usually works, unlocking unstable.
When I unlock with the true key in the door now only the side lights keep flashing.
That's because I cut the alarm hooter.

As a matter of interest: do you have a Scim?
I've got one, mere 6A, but love my shooting break.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

I was going to suggest you are parked near "Area51", but you are over there, so maybe "Stonehenge",

JUST KIDDING.

The fob in pocket does to my S a lot of the time.

Maybe the car main battery is getting near its use by date, 3 years seems to be the common date. This comes up regularly, as these cars need a very stable reserve voltage to behave themselves.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:11 AM

thanks for suggestions so far guys.....things to think about

right about the lights button on the fob but it only seems to turn on head lights when pressed but its side lights I see that are sometimes on when I come back to car.....but its doubly odd that side lights are on when they are not switched on at the stalk

Battery is only three months old.....tho it was as flat as a kipper when I got back last week from being abroad after three months.... being as persons charged with giving her a turn over didn't do so as often as was required

could be some kind of security system related issue

Stonehenge.....Im not ruling it out yet

pretty sure if I lock the car with lights off and just sit there waiting for it to happen ....then it wont.....and of course the moment I turn my back they will come on.....I was thinking of giver the cat a name anyway.....'Christine'

Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Is this a recent occurence??.

By that I mean has it only happened since the 3 months away and the flat battery, or was it there before ??. Just trying to narrow down a commen event.

Maybe the battery is not as charged as it should be, or is not holding a charge since being flattened, coz some really dont back from the dead.

Different car I know, but my X300 got the hissy's once, alarm triggering for no apparent reason, and eventually tracked it to a borderline battery of 18 months old.

Wife S Type also got the wobblies after the ignition switch caused a battery drain, and recharging/rejuvinating failed to bring it back to life. New battery fixed that one, and been OK now for 12 momths. Switch repaired also by the way.

Christine is a good name, and you have already established that EVERY Jaguar is of the female extraction. I been saying that since 1968.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

You aren't leaving the indicators on when you turn off the engine are you? I suspect that that turns on sidelights for parking if I remember .. could be wrong as always :-)

Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM

I will have the battery tested to be sure tho it has no problems starting the car since I gave it a full 24 hr charge

And the indicators being on was something I checked in case it was that but indicator was off

my son drove past my place at 3am and telephoned me.....'dad!...lights are on'

will se what gives when I get the battery tested

Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 PM

MAYBE.

I read the Queen is leaving the Palace for some reason.

Perhaps she is taking up residence in your garage and car. haha.

Apart from that, I stick with what I said before, "did it do this prior to your holiday"?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I know the answer to my question is probably right here under my nose, but I don't see it, so I have to ask a stupid question, what model and year is the Jag in question?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:07 AM

X300R.

The Brits take a while to sort their info.

He will get around to it.

I am so glad our X300 is a "Poverty pack", and has no such fancy stuff to annoy me.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Default had a eureka moment

parked up in broad day light and the side lights were on.....but this time when I got back in the car to confirm lights were off at stalk....I heard a buzzing when I opened the door....closed door buzzing gone....opened door...buzzing back....you get the picture....got out and lights were on....got back in and wiggled the stalk a tiniest tad....buzzing started then buzzing stopped ....got out of car and lights were out....so basically there is a short in the stalk even when side lights are in off position ....but this short was manifesting by itself after leaving car which is still a bit Christine-ish but it would seem to be the answer.....and I have a 99 X308 poverty spec XJR ....no memory anything...no power tilt or telescopic steering, no power folding mirrors

Old 06-26-2015, 04:09 AM

Good find, and that is the first of that in the X300/308 stalk I have heard of.

If it were mine, I would get some Siicone Spray with the small plastic nozzle, and give it a short spray up its nose. Might do zip, might just sort it. Certainly cannot do anymore harm.

I looked at your private info to see an X300R listed, so I assumed that is the beast we are sorting??.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

scim, what vehicle are we talking about here (include year please). I can look at the diagrams and see if there is a possible problem that I can come up with. From the sounds of things, you most likely have automatic lighting as an option for this vehicle and this is for some reason activating when the vehicle is turned off. But, I will be able to tell you more once I know the model/year of your car.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Default thanks to all for input

the prob was in the rotary light switch on the stalk.....it was like the switch is on a hair trigger with the slightest touch switching on the side lights....but not actually being rotated to the on position....so Im guessing there is a bad or dirty contact ....I only guessed it when I opened the door and the 'hey you left the lights on' chime was audible....I tweaked the switch a tad and it stopped meaning the lights were out....seems I either need to try and clean it or simply replace it

as for profile.....this X308 is my third XJR with the two previous being X300's.....I like em.....l swapped a painful passion for Foxbody mustangs for these cars.....a better choice by far......but I still have three foxes in various states od disrepair

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-27-2015)