General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This unit looks VERY interesting and capable - Does it read/display Jaguar-specific codes?

Originally Posted by JWT
I recently purchased the ODBCOM scanner. It appears to do everything it promises. This one hooks up to a laptop or PC via USB as opposed to being a handheld. Scans & clears stored and pending codes, reports on internal test results, displays real time data in a number of areas, (O2 sensors, fuel trim, mas air flow, coolant temperature, mpg, etc) logs data, displays gauges and graphs. For $86.00, I call it a great deal. I have used it on a 98 XJR, 2002 Ford Escape and an Audi A6. Worked flawlessly on all three. Perhaps best of all, support is excellent. I asked some questions before purchasing and checked in after receiving it. Mike at OBDCOM returned e-mails quickly and was very helpful. A major contrast to the comments that Gus left regarding his device. I have read similar poor service reviews on others. Not this one. Thumbs up in my books. Check it out at: www.obdcom.com

The following users liked this post:
oldjaglover (10-19-2021)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Arrow Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight sells three different levels of scan tools. The most expensive one does NOT work, at least on the X308. I tried two of them and neither would recognize the vehicle.

BUT, the middle one, about $65 if I remember correctly, works fine. It was perfect on my X308, and it is reading fine on my X350, including Jaguar specific codes. The specific model number is a Cen-Tech 94169. For the price, I wouldn't be without it! Good luck,
Goose

ForTheLoveOfCars (01-07-2024)
Old 03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
JWT
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by projectorguy1
This unit looks VERY interesting and capable - Does it read/display Jaguar-specific codes?
Projectorguy1,
The OBDCOM website lists Jaguar as a supported vehicle. I think I read that Jaguar specific codes are included, but I have sent an e-mail to OBDCOM to request a more informed reply. Will update when I get the info. In any case, I would advise having the JTIS CD as the codes and probable faults are listed along with some diagnostic suggestions and procedures relating to the individual codes.

The following 2 users liked this post by JWT:
BmwR60 (01-22-2013), wcnesta (07-03-2012)
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
JWT
Default Obdcom

Got the confirmation reply from Mike at OBDCOM a while ago. That says something about response & support! He confirmed Jaguar specific code capability. I copy the paragraph from his reply below for clarity. He also reminded me that his company issues free updates to the software as more specific codes capabilities are added.

I noticed the link to their URL did not work in my earlier post, so maybe the forum stops them somehow? Here it is again. http://www.obdcom.com/

Here is Mike's reply ( who has just purchased an XJ8... way to go Mike!)

"We recently added hundreds of new Jaguar (and other manufacturer) -specific code descriptions to that database, and yes it does read all the Jaguar specific (engine-related) trouble codes. You won't find any buttons or functions in the software that specifically address the brand of vehicle you're working on, because the OBD-II standard makes them all "talk" the same. But, having said that... Not all tools handle manufacturer-specific trouble codes the same. Some will not report them if they do not regocnize them, others won't report them at all, or they only show them to you if you purchse an upgrade of some sort. Anyway, I noticed another forum member mentioned that their reader would not read some codes, so I thought I should mention that ours will report the code no matter what."

The following 2 users liked this post by JWT:
BmwR60 (01-22-2013), JWestXJR2000 (05-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the research and information! This one looks like a winner. I think it needs to be added to the list at the beginning of the thread (If it hasn't been already).

Jerry

Originally Posted by JWT
Got the confirmation reply from Mike at OBDCOM a while ago. That says something about response & support! He confirmed Jaguar specific code capability. I copy the paragraph from his reply below for clarity. He also reminded me that his company issues free updates to the software as more specific codes capabilities are added.

I noticed the link to their URL did not work in my earlier post, so maybe the forum stops them somehow? Here it is again. http://www.obdcom.com/

Here is Mike's reply ( who has just purchased an XJ8... way to go Mike!)

"We recently added hundreds of new Jaguar (and other manufacturer) -specific code descriptions to that database, and yes it does read all the Jaguar specific (engine-related) trouble codes. You won't find any buttons or functions in the software that specifically address the brand of vehicle you're working on, because the OBD-II standard makes them all "talk" the same. But, having said that... Not all tools handle manufacturer-specific trouble codes the same. Some will not report them if they do not regocnize them, others won't report them at all, or they only show them to you if you purchse an upgrade of some sort. Anyway, I noticed another forum member mentioned that their reader would not read some codes, so I thought I should mention that ours will report the code no matter what."

Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Added the OBDCOM to the list guys, thanks!

BTW, he says there's hundreds of specific code descriptions...but also 'engine related' meaning the P codes (and probably some transmission). Keep that in mind. Extended, or enhanced features mean ABS, Air bag, body modules, climate, transmission (more detailed), and others.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM
JWT
Default Obdcom

That is correct on the Engine codes. I do not think OBDCOM reads the ABS or Body modules. Primarily powertrain I believe, but still it is a pretty good tool. Delving into ABS is something I hope to avoid!

Regards

Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Added the OBDCOM to the list guys, thanks!

BTW, he says there's hundreds of specific code descriptions...but also 'engine related' meaning the P codes (and probably some transmission). Keep that in mind. Extended, or enhanced features mean ABS, Air bag, body modules, climate, transmission (more detailed), and others.
I probably missed it in the thread, but which ones on the list can read all the codes? Looks like just the AutoEnginuity so far, but is there anything else (hopefully cheaper ). I may not be able to fix it, but would at least want to know what it is...

Jerry

Last edited by projectorguy1; 03-15-2010 at 06:08 AM.
BmwR60 (01-22-2013)
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

the enhanced codes most DIYers won't need, but if you're serious about researching everything that can happen, there aren't many that can do it for the AE's price. It has been a couple years since I purchased mine, and at that time, the next option was over $1500, and haven't heard anything since.

For 90% of the major stuff, the P codes satisfy most people.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Using AutoEnginuity with their Jaguar-specific Enhancement, I can read codes and sensors etc on my 2004 STR from the following modules: PCM (Powertrain aka engine), TCM (tranny), DSC (ABS), GECM (aka GEM aka FEM), RECM (aka REM), HLCM (headlamps), DSM (driver seat), DDM (driver's door), ICM (cluster aka dash), RCM (restraints aka air bag), CCM (climate), ACM (audio), EPBCM (park brake), NCM (sat nav), PACM (parking aid). I hope I didn't miss any.

It reads generic codes and Jag-specific ones.

It can display the VIN and the current calibrations (software versions) of PCM and TCM.

It can also take control (if you ask it to) of some actuators, such as to do a brake system service bleed.

It does at least ISO-9141 and CAN protocols, and I think SCP (J1850 PWM) as well.

Cost about $450 around a year ago.

I also have a generic OBD scanner based on the ELM327 but no longer use it, as all it did was codes and a few sensors from the PCM.

edit: the USB ELM327 reads all the codes (including jag-specific) from the PCM (engine) and works on all the cars I've tried it on (Ford Fiesta, Ford Mondeo, Renault Megane, etc). Exceedingly good value for £15 ($25). They're all over ebay at that kind of price, look for ELM327 version 1.3a or later. Supports all the protocols (ISO 9141-2, VPW, PWM, KWP, CAN). But doesn't have software to let you read that list of modules supported by AutoEnginuity.

Last edited by JagV8; 07-16-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more on elm327
The following 4 users liked this post by JagV8:
BmwR60 (01-22-2013), Joe Z (11-19-2011), mrlovt (06-22-2012), real22uu (08-14-2014)
Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

thanks for the addition Jagv8, i'll add your STR to the initial list of confirmed cars. I too think the AE is the best deal for the money out there, especially if you need to dig deep. I loaned it to a member awhile back who was trying to log his TCM commands, looking for the downshift points, among other things. It can see so many different sensors its crazy.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Obd com

I have had great luck with OBD COM on many cars. It works well on my 2000 XK8 and retrives all codes. Good support from the company too.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down here's another one that doesn't work

The Actron pocketscan plus 9550 piece of junk

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I use a Memoscan U581. Great stand-alone device that covers Jag-specific codes (you select the manufacturer off a menu at start-up). Only downside with my previous XK8 and current XKR is that the message display shows "electrical fault" when it's connected, but works fine nonetheless.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Are all Innova 3100's the same? One on eBay right now that I'd like to bid on, but this statement I found on the net makes me wonder whether they upgraded over time without changing the model number:

"Since its inception, the popular INNOVA 3100 has seen an array of new features added to it that end-users have requested, such as: C.A.N. (Controlled Area Network) compatibility, color-coded Emission Status LEDs, PC-Link reports"

This makes me wonder whether, for instance, earlier versions of the 3100 may not have had CAN compatibility... any comments?
There are 3100a - 3100e. As far as I can tell, they all supported CAN.

Not sure exactly what the differences are, but this page might help. Check the links on the right of the page to see the different models.

http://www.canobd2.com/Products/Tool...A9F6E333FAEC1F

There is also a link to upgrade your older model 3100 to the 3100e if you like for $69 US.

Last edited by SuperSport; 04-12-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Have a look at the downladable scanner at carcode.com. You can download it before you buy to get an idea how it works, then you basically purchase a cable and a license for $122.

It has some data logging capabilities, but appears Jaguar coverage is just engine codes though.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-02-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Update after more extensiveuse with Jags.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to retire my cheapo U380 since it doesn't work with the Jag. It shows a "N/A" for codes it does not understand (so far, known to miss at least two powertrain codes from my X-Type).

I "upgraded" to another cheapo that actually can read P, B, C, and U codes (confirmed working so far on my 02 X-Type). The item is the 3030 CanOBDII reader available from canobd2.com. This device also supports checks for OBD diagnostic monitor status which is a nice value add. For those in a pinch looking to get away cheap, it can be had for about $75 shipped to your door.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Have a look at the downladable scanner at carcode.com. You can download it before you buy to get an idea how it works, then you basically purchase a cable and a license for $122.

It is pretty advanced, current and complete for what it costs. I have used it for about 3 years and have no regrets.
Don't forget, in order to recommend the scanner, I need your MY of your car...XKR I assume.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep them coming if you feel confident about the unit, or just as passionate about its shortcomings.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have used the carcode.com scanner on a 2001 XKR and 2003 S Type.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the actron cp9185. reads engine and trans, but no abs. It will data log and can be set to give you any data you request up to 5 frames before the cel is tripped. works on every car I have plugged it into. Oh and you can down lode and print to your pc or even straight to the printer. 1996 and up with out buying adaptors so it is very versitile

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **