General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odometer tampering

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Odometer tampering

I'm not sure where to post this. Admin will know. I ran into a troubling situation at work. About 3 yrs ago I sold a new XF to a long time customer whow drives about 30,000 miles per year. He puts about 90k miles on them then trades it in toward a new one.

This time he sold it some guys out of a nearby State. No problem. Except they sold it to a local resident who brought the car in for some warranty work. The odometer showed 30,000. I know this car, we all do because of the specific color combination and leapers on the hood (I know, I know but my customer likes them that way).

We pulled a Carfax and everything had been wiped. I've never seen either before. I had pulled a Carfax before my customer sold it, as it was a perfect car, but my used car manager is a chicken **** with high mileage Jags... The Carfax I pulled had every service visit, showed the yearly registrations, everything.....

Now it's all gone. This guy probably thought he was getting an amazing deal on a low mileage car, now he's screwed, and I'm sure this guy's are enjoying their victory with a cold one in the windy city.

Just a warning to really research what your buying. I always tell my clients if you find a better deal, make sure you have it inspected by a Jag dealer first. The master techs will comb though the car. My guys have found spliffed cars (two cars welded together and sold as a non salvage), flood car, etc...

It will be the best $200 you can ever spend on your future Jag. It's a good thing for sellers to do prior to putting it up for sale. Puts you above your competion.

Hopes this helps someone....

Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Carfax are toast if people find their existing data can be deleted as you say.

I hope they offer a reward for anyone pointing out to them this kind of thing - probably a rogue employee.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

So you're saying that in addition to the onboard odometer reading being rolled back from approx. 90 K miles to 30K miles, someone got into Carfax system and wiped it clean?

How did these persons also get into Jaguar's and the DMV records and wipe them too?

Sure it's not two different cars?

Old 10-08-2015, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Conspiracy? What conspiracy?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:12 AM

(Sure it's not two different cars?)

Absolutely positive!

Same vin, year, color, and hood leaper. The service Manager had asked me to look at a car that just pulled in. As soon as l saw it, I turned to him and said "That's "€@@¥s car. He then said check the mileage...."

Either the thieves have a friend at Carfax or its just that sloppy of a company, that you can have the history changed by just calling in and disputing the history.

I don't think so because we've seen mileage errors before in the past before and would have to send in proof of what we claimed.

The 'new' Carfax starts when the current owner registered it. The Jaguar DDW still showed the all the previous service visits and accurate mileage.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 AM

I hate stuff like this. I HATE scammers that rip good people off. It's been done to me when I was younger, so I know how the victims feel. We told the new owner, and reported it to our Jaguar Rep. who came down to document it.

Carfax is (by now was) also contacted. The sellers who did this are probably gone but hopefully there is a way to track them down. Isn't tampering with an odometer to deceive and gain profit though its sale a Federal crime?

Old 10-10-2015, 01:59 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Carfax sucks. My xk8 Carfax could not possibly be accurate. And I am positive my odometer was not accurate either. Still love my jag even so.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:14 PM

(And I am positive my odometer was not accurate either. Still love my jag even so.)

If you want, shoot me the last 6 of your vin in a private message and I'll run a D.D.W. and pm you back the mileage recorded every time it was at a Jag dealer for service. At least you'll get a idea of the mileage history.

The following users liked this post:
cyber3d (10-10-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Default Good news

I found out that cars computer does have the correct mileage on it. The scammed must have just swapped the speedo. Service told me the next time it's hooked up at any Jaguar dealer a factory download/update, the odometer will be reset to the correct mileage.

Glad to hear the thieves could hack into the XF computer. Still doesn't explain the Carfax wipe. All the more reason to have a background check on service records or have a Jag dealer do a 165 point inspection. $200 or so for something that could save thousands of dollars.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:11 PM

I meant to say

Glad to hear the thieves " couldn't "hack into the Jaguars computer, to alter the mileage. They just did the old speedo swap, and sold it to someone that thought he was getting a great car with low mileage.

My client who owned the car first and ran it up to 90K miles, takes such good care of his Jags, that they look showroom perfect (not one mark), even at 90k+ inside and out. So, it would have been easy to for the new (scammed) owner to believe he was buying a low milage car, from the car scammer that purchased it from my client.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Just so you know, in California (not sure of other states) once a vehicle is more than 10 years old there is no legal requirement for a seller to disclose mileage. I ran into this when I replaced an instrument cluster in an older car and thought I might have to add a tag or include a statement of facts if I ever sold it. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/reg/odometer

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

In Georgia we have a vehicle emissions testevery year in order to apply for a new tag registration. From 1996 and up theyuse the OBDII port and note the mileage on the test. I keep all my test in afile for each car and can pass them on if I were to sell to a private buyer. My95 XJS has an OBDII port but they can't use it. 92 to 95 they put a probe upyour tail pipe or pipes in dual exhaust and take the readings at two differentRPMs. They stop testing cars older than 1992.