General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing Interior Glue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Interior Glue

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. Always got great practical and effective answers from this forum. But now I have an odd problem.

Have a 2008 S-Type (not that it will matter). Has a rubber kick mat (pad) under the pedals (w 12' x H 8"). It's OEM apparently because it has Jaguar embedded in the raised rubber matrix. It used to be glued in place over the carpet. Over time the glue lost hold and the pad slides everywhere, now.

There is residual glue (lots of it) on the carpet and I want to get rid of as much of it as possible. Anybody have any suggestions about glue-in-carpet removal? I'm not a knee jerk greenie, but I am very careful, and have access to industrial chemicals. Also have a hot, wet, vac to clean up after applications. I am patient and understand that it might well take more than one pass. Would appreciate effective input. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Cellulose thinners should work. I have used in on the carpet in my boot to remove grease and black marks. It didn't remove any colour, but to make sure, test an insignificant part of the carpet before "going at it"

White spirit will probably also work and is not so strong as cellulose thinners, so maybe try this first. I don't think methylated spirits will work, but am prepared to be surprised.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adhesive removers

I work in the aircraft industry and have been using a product used to remove the glue that is used to hold things glued to the surface of a wing. It will not remove paint and there is very little scraping. I have not used it for carpet but don't see why it wouldn't work. It applies in a jell and dries to a white powder that can be vacuumed off.
Peerco 321 made by Peerless Quality Products in Detroit.
Let me know if it works!

Old 10-11-2014, 02:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum jettechbarkdull,

It sounds an effective product from the information on the Peerless website:

Peerless Quality Products | Manufacturing Chemists Since 1929

The downside looks to be it is only supplied in 1 gallon cans and 4-1 gallon cases.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham