General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Some help for CA smog and "incomplete monitors"

Old 02-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Thanks, all interesting.

The rules posted don't actually go into proper detail. There's no overall Ready value. All regions I've met define what they consider as (the equivalent of) Ready - such as all OBD monitors except one (or two) being set. Looks like we have to guess what your region actually means. They do look to be rather clueless.

Any drive cycle (actually many things in life) has a sort of "quit now" underlying concept of "don't keep doing this if it's not working (definition of madness)" because there's a fault. I guess some organisations fail to realise that people can be pretty dumb so do just carry on regardless, even though it makes no sense. It's hard to deal with dumb.

Fortunately they seem to be in a small minority of regions (it may be just one) who abuse OBD so badly.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

'Clueless' is quite kind of you.

Our former provincial leader, the same one who set the present OBD test, got it into his head that conventional incandescent light bulbs were also a source of great evil and must be eliminated. This was based on a study indicating that they were only 5% efficient in the amount of light produced and 95% 'pure waste'.

The ensuing panic buying virtually wiped out all supplies in the stores by people who wanted to stock up rather switch to the much more expensive compact fluorescent type.

It was then pointed out by the tech community that the 95% of so called 'wasted energy' was actually 'heat' energy and contributed significantly to winter time heating of our homes. The loss of heat when switching to fluorescent lamps would have to be compensated for by placing higher load on electrical heating systems, so no net energy saved. Even worse, those with oil or gas fired heating systems would create even more pollution.

The entire plan was scrapped

Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Without the panic there might have been a smallish saving (bearing in mind it's not cold all year). With the panic, doesn't sound likely.

I'd love to say how much better our politicians are. I think the saying is "I wouldn't start from here".

Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Without the panic there might have been a smallish saving (bearing in mind it's not cold all year). With the panic, doesn't sound likely.
True that the heat contributed by the lamps in non-heating season is actual waste, but given the very long days and short nights we have in summer- not many lights are turned on for very long. My 'lekky bill is pretty small May-October.

Then there's the recycling issue of the compact fluorescents.............

Old 02-08-2016, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

And we'll move to LEDs (not sure when)

Old 03-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

64vette - Thanks so much for your post! I contacted the smog ref today and got the paperwork started. We have been working on this for over a month and the jag dealer has already looked at the car and everything that should be working is working. The mechanic tried the drive cycle a few times and so have I. Even after a couple hundred miles we can't get the Catalyst to clear. Really appreciate your post and this site for such great guidance!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default YMMV as to California Smog

I had a very different reaction from CARB with respect to the failure to set catalyst monitors than did 64Vette. After many months of trying to set the catalytic converter monitor, it set once, then I got (I think) a bad tank of gas and it misfired before I could get it checked again, throwing codes which then had to be wiped. After hundreds and hundreds of miles trying to complete drive cycles, and replacing the spark plugs and seals, still the monitor was not ready. This was the bane of my existence for the past year, as I spent countless hours trying to do drive cycles and figure it out. Plus I finally got a 'fix it" ticket, luckily I had paid the registration fee online or it would have been a bigger fine.

Finally I took it to the Jag dealer, and they too were unable to set the monitor. I called the number on the CARB website, and they told me to set up an appointment with the referee, even though I mentioned the specific issue. The referee found no other problems, but said my receipt from the dealer showing that no faults were found wasn't enough, it had to include four items listed on a sheet before the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) would give a waiver, documenting the following: 1) All diagnosis and repairs that have been attempted, 2) Drive cycles have been attempted, 3) All relative (sic) TSB's and/or updates have been performed, and 4) Manufacturer technical support has been contacted on the readiness monitor problem.

The Jag dealer documented 3 of the 4, but the service rep advised me that if he contacted the manufacturer, a "case" would be opened and I'd be stuck if they recommended something (e.g., replacing the cats) and I didn't do it. The dealer service rep was formerly with CARB, and he thought this would do it. I contacted the smog referee's supervisor, and e-mailed him the sheet, he said the last part did have to be documented. On the advice of a "Star certified" tech, I decided to try replacing the catalyst monitor sensors--even though no CEL was lit. Just prior to having the sensors (get them from Amazon or eBay, Jag's prices are astronomical--$347 EACH!), I had the car aligned because I'd noticed some wear and it had been a long time. Well, my wife drove it just another 50 miles, trying to do a "coast down" from 50 as I'd advised her to do and she'd done many times before. I used a code reader just one last time, and it had set. I took it in and it passed smog. I can't imagine that it was a coincidence that the alignment was immediately followed by the monitor setting. All I can think is that the wheel sensors from each wheel were sending slightly different signals due to the misalignment, not enough to cause an ABS / DSC fault, but enough that the computer couldn't get the information to see that the car was meeting the requirements as to speeds on the drive cycle. The only other possible difference is that the car may have been in "regular" instead of "sport" mode which is the default position for me. However, I'm fairly certain I had done some driving cycles without it being in Sport, and I'm not sure what difference that should make in any case--and none of the driving cycle instructions mention the mode one way or another.

The sheet I got from the referee is attached. Good luck to all!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ask the Ref Sheet.pdf (47.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by WestCoastCat; 08-10-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 64vette
Evidently since the new "OBDII only" smog check program in CA started up in 2015, there have been many vehicles failing due to more than one monitor showing incomplete despite no faults or DTC, and owners driving all the "drive cycles" and in many cases hundreds of miles.

2000 and newer vehicles are allowed only the EVAP as incomplete, any other monitors showing incomplete including Comprehensive Component will cause a FAIL for your smog test.

A sort of "catch 22" is that with Jaguars, evidently the Comprehensive won't show as complete even if the only test not completed is the Evap (large and small leak), so essentially the allowed pass for Evap incomplete is apparently useless for us.

As an acknowledgement of the problem of incomplete readiness monitors, California now has a method for getting cleared for registration as follows:

You need a copy of the failed smog test with the incomplete tests shown, then also a copy of a service report showing no faults found with emission related components. You can FAX, mail, or email (scan documents into a pdf). Email to INFO@asktheref.org with a subject title of BAR Referee Program. Include your name and telephone number. You will be contacted and then issued a registration renewal. If you want to use mail or FAX then go to www.asktheref.org for more info and/or call the number shown there. If you call in and explain that you are failing smog due to incomplete monitors they will immediately know how to help (no longer need to schedule a referee appointment and in fact they don't want you to do that for this known problem).

Hope this helps for CA folks stuck in "not completed" limbo.
But smog only place tells me (I have O2 sensor not set) that i did not fail and cannot give a failed certificate. It's just they can't do the test? I don't know where to go next.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Is the place you are using for the Smog Check a 'pass or free retest' sort of place? If not, I suggest you drive the vehicle at least 55 miles and go to another test centre.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Is the place you are using for the Smog Check a 'pass or free retest' sort of place? If not, I suggest you drive the vehicle at least 55 miles and go to another test centre.
They don't charge unless they issue a certificate. they have tested it twice for free already.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Originally Posted by WestCoastCat
...... After many months of trying to set the catalytic converter monitor, it set once, then I got (I think) a bad tank of gas and it misfired before I could get it checked again, throwing codes which then had to be wiped. .....
I've noticed how many US members report difficulties in passing emissions testing and occasional comments on variable fuel quality. Clearly there is a definite issue in the US which doesn't affect us anywhere near as much in the UK.

Jaguar's US market spec is supposed to match the fuel quality but it does seem extraordinary that the monitoring thresholds are unable to cope with real life variations.

This extended driving or drive cycles to complete onboard monitoring tests must be both annoying and frustrating.

Graham

Old 10-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Except that most seem to have a fault that simply has been ignored then someone clears the codes (thus also the monitors) and gets stuck because now they've created Catch-22: it can't set the monitors so code flagging is to some extent inhibited.

How did this O2 monitor become not set? That is, who did what, why and when? They do not just unset themselves.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
I've noticed how many US members report difficulties in passing emissions testing and occasional comments on variable fuel quality. Clearly there is a definite issue in the US which doesn't affect us anywhere near as much in the UK.

Jaguar's US market spec is supposed to match the fuel quality but it does seem extraordinary that the monitoring thresholds are unable to cope with real life variations.

This extended driving or drive cycles to complete onboard monitoring tests must be both annoying and frustrating.

Graham
I've seen a lot of speculation about fuel 'quality' being held accountable for such issues but no real proof or even a reasonable theory.

The myths here about off brand fuels eventually proven to be false could fill a complete shelf of books. The myths about basic fuel chemistry could fill a library.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:46 PM

I'm using to 91 octane fuel anyway. Just crazy a computer can tell its screwed but doesn't know why.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MikeofBonsall
I'm using to 91 octane fuel anyway. Just crazy a computer can tell its screwed but doesn't know why.
Octane rating has nothing to do with the 'quality' of fuel.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Octane rating has nothing to do with the 'quality' of fuel.
True but i'm just saying I don't buy cheap gas from a no-name distributor just major brands not gas not an issue.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:53 PM

You might want to read the recent AAA study which concludes that the difference between cheap no name gas and the much revered top tier brands is not worth crossing the street for.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Lets not get too far off subject. What's the best way to get the seller to pay to get the smog done? Please.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Isn't the subject how to get the monitors set?

Old 10-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

The most recent issue on monitors was the O2 one I think, post #28, and I was hoping for a reply by the poster to my post #32

Search this Thread