General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

superceded parts

Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default superceded parts

Hi all,

If a part (specifically a upper control arm/wishbone) number has been superceded, does this mean the old part cannot be used or will not fit ?

I'm looking for the following:
new part number c2d36804
old part number c2d2474

Can I still use the old part number in place of the new ?

Last edited by Norri; 07-26-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted duplicate thread
Old 07-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 10,284 Likes on 6,805 Posts

NO.

Supercede can be for a number of things.

Mostly due to running upgrade/s of that component. The first numnber in any parts book/list is always the part used at production, thats where the books get their numbers in the first place.The 1st "supercession" may be a bush upgrade (in the case of the arm), OR, a balljoint boot upgrade, or anything else that alters that part from the production part.

Different supplier, can spring a different part number for the same reasons as above.

The 1st number will always fit.

Subsequent numbers MAY need added items to make them fit, NOT always however, which obviously depends on the part in question.

Example: The V12 TPS is now a newer number, and a newer part, BUT you need a fitting kit to make it fit a 5.3ltr engine. The list goes on for all makes and models of cars, trucks, buses etc out there.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanks Grant.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the old part (i.e the 1st number - c2d2474) will still fit but I may (or may not) need some additional parts to make it fit?

Last edited by mssurrey; 07-26-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Jaguar P/N's used to be constant for years. A change in the final two numbers usually indicating a design improvement or a change of supplier.

Nowadays they seem to change entire numbers quite frequently for no apparent reason.

The two numbers you quote both refer to the same front right upper control arm.

Graham

Old 07-26-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks Graham,

Does the VIN number have anything to do with it. I'm being told that the old part number goes up to a certain VIN (after which the part number changes). I presume that this is simply because a new P/N has been issued after a certain VIN and thus all newer cars are using the newer P/N (for whatever reason or even no reason)?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

As a general rule a superseded part number denotes some sort of change--- a change in the design or materials of the part or a change in vendor/manufacturer, for example. Sometimes several older parts numbers, applying to several models/sub-variations of the car, have been rationalized into a new, single part number allowing one part to be used on for several applications.

If you find what you need under the older, original part number it will still work but you might not get the benefit of any design upgrades, when applicable.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by mssurrey

Can I still use the old part number in place of the new ?
Maybe.

Trying to understand part number progression, supercession and interchangeability can cause a grown man to cry. I've seen it with my own eyes back in my working days while trying to help customers wade through the six full size binders that represented the part catalogues for the engine series I was responsible for.

If your car has the superseded part in it now, you can use the old part without issue.

If you have the newer part number and unless there's paperwork somewhere detailing two way interchangeability, I'd presume using the old part number might be a step backwards. A complete new part number usually denotes a change in fit form or function, but I'm not sure if Jag used that system consistently.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Does the VIN number have anything to do with it. ......
There are VIN related P/N changes on this component at R47154 and S71282 but within those ranges there's also different P/N's for different markets.

Certainly one of the less straightforward parts to identify!

Graham

Old 07-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 10,284 Likes on 6,805 Posts

Thanks Grant.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the old part (i.e the 1st number - c2d2474) will still fit but I may (or may not) need some additional parts to make it fit?
The first part number is EXACTLY the same as the what was on the car when produced. No further parts should/will be needed.

Part numbers after that original number, may, in very few cases, need extra parts, but those would number extremely low in the total scheme.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-26-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 AM

That's great guys. All the info is much appreciated.