General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Updated OEM Bluetooth Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The black box has a smaller footprint than the original aluminum BT units. I had to make an adapter to bolt it in my 05 XJR.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a black box for 100.00 and an antenna from an 08 Jag. Im waiting for it to come Tues. I think it will solve the more than one phone issue. Connectivity isn't a problem but having more than one person in the household apposes a problem. That is why I moved up the box to the newer one from 07-08. Now I have EVERYTHING except for the premium ice? I have the loop for that loom in my harness but have no idea what "premium ice" is.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts

ICE = in-car-entertainment

Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM

Well, I'm all done, completely new Sirius factory ( updated version) set up installed. New updated Bluetooth integrated Bluetooth module and Jag Voice and latest version of the compass in the mirror. I think I spent 550.00 all totaled including shipping. Money well spent!!!!!!!!!! Very easy, everything was plug and play. No, need to have anything reconfigured at the dealership. The best thing was buying a 9.00 antenna for the new BTM module (got it off Ebay, it was for a BMW and it worked perfectly) Jaguar wanted 317.00 for it. What a joke. Plugged right in stuck it to the underside of the package tray and 5 bars show up on the dash, now it even has my carrier showing in the infotainment screen. No need to keep adding and removing phones, now it will hold up to 5 BT phones and their phone books in the box. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still confused as to exactly what antenna is needed. I've found several parts numbers, but most of those show a GPS antenna. Is it the same?

Collector1, do you have an eBay item number for the one you bought?

Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard Olsson
I'm still confused as to exactly what antenna is needed. I've found several parts numbers, but most of those show a GPS antenna. Is it the same?

Collector1, do you have an eBay item number for the one you bought?
This was my problem. I even ordered a couple of right angle "coax" connectors from the UK that looked good but were not.

Recently I pulled the module wrack out to take photos to help someone with a Navtool installation in this forum and in so doing dislodged my "kluge" aerial.

I ended up in cutting a coax connector to fit on the Plastic Bluetooth module so that it made contact to the center wire. I then soldered a single wire, about 3 feet long, to the center wire of that coax connector and it works fine for me. Its a solid connection and will not be dislodged easily.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Yes, I have the Ebay number. They were made for the BMW but work for ANY of the newer style modules and they do work perfectly. You don't have to do anything but plug it into the unit ( might have to cut a small slit in the plastic so it snaps on exactly) and it adheres to the underside of the package tray. No need to run it anywhere else. It only picks up the signal from your phone. I got 5 bars and then you just follow the same exact instructions as the original to pair and then you can have up to 5 phones and never have to un-pair again. I sold my sold my old unit and paid for my new unit. It took over 40 parts yards before I found one but it was worth the trouble ($100.00). This antenna is the answer. Jaguar wanted over $316.00 and I got it for 8.75 plus 1.00 shipping from China (came in 8 days to the US but if you live closer will arrive sooner) and its made by the same company, just looks different and has a much larger extended range,also you don't have to spend hours cutting and routing. Was all done in less than 20 minutes. 331536729233 This is the Ebay item number. Glad I could help. Keep me posted if you buy one. BTW, if you have the metal stack already in the car, it will wedge in perfectly into the very top shelf, without having to even do anything. I just pushed it down until it locked into place ( no screws needed) fit so tight that not even in a heavy impact would it move. No need to make it harder than it has to be. Remember the antenna is only to reach the signal of your phone not a cell tower (that is what your phone antenna does) Now I even show my phone carrier up in the screen. I now have all bars showing in the screen and the reception is perfect, so much better than the original old style.

Last edited by Collector1; 05-29-2015 at 11:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Collector1:
jackra_1 (05-31-2015), Rickard Olsson (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent! Based on your first description, I had found that exact item, but thought the connector looked off, so I didn't buy it then. I have ordered it now and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again! :-)

Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

I have ordered the aerial as well. I wonder who will get it first.

John

Old 06-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Trust me it will work. There are THREE cuts. The two that are the smallest are out of place. The on that is on the bottom or top ( I cant remember now) is in the correct place as is where it snaps the connection to the box. Just take a black magic marker and mark on the plastic where the guides are on the metal coming out of the box, then take a razor blade and cut out the marked areas. It will snap right into place and lock and work like the 317.00 factory one and for pennies in comparison. I actually do have 5 bars, showing on the screen, it is that strong. Also, the phone itself keeps 5 bars showing on the screen, that is if you have a good carrier with a lot of cell towers. People think the antenna is to pic up signals from towers but they are only to pick up signals from your phones antenna only. On the Jag they wanted you to cut a whole in the body and strap it to the backside of the bumper. That was for the hard wired phones. This just needs to be attached to anything. My first thought was to put it on the lower side of the package tray. The original BT module was right at the console, so it didn't need to send the signal very far to pick up your phone, thus no need for an external antenna. So put it where you like, it will pick up your phone signal perfectly.

Last edited by Collector1; 06-02-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

My aerial arrived today much earlier than I was expecting. Just intalled it. Did not require any cuts. Basically went from a single bar in my garage to a double bar.

Even tho the aerial is supposed to pick up signals from the phone I do notice the number of bars varies depending upon where I am driving. What is the explanation for that?

Last edited by jackra_1; 06-12-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 06-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

The aerial only picks up what your phone and carrier puts out. Notice the bars on your phone, they should correspond to your head unit bars. If you noticed before you paired your phone to the car, you had 5 bars. Once you paired your phone, the bars will go up and down depending on the signal strength of your carrier and the quality of your phone and its internal antenna. The Bluetooth signal is only receiving signal from the trunk to your phone (4 feet at the most). It doesn't receive signal from the cell towers. If your not getting good signals, then your phone should be upgraded or you should change carriers.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Just upgraded my phone. We have AT&T and cell reception at home here has always been quite bad. We are down in a dip. We also have a place up on Cape Cod and wouldn't you know it we have even worse reception there. Most other places its pretty good.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

See I live where AT&T are the best. You live where Verizon is the best. Your issue is with your carrier not your phone. I will however say you will be much better phone quality out of the new box that the previous version. Good luck and glad I could help you out on the antenna situation.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:09 PM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does anyone have a Jaguar part number for the antenna and mic?

Old 06-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

JAGUAR OEM 05-09 XJ8 Overhead Console-Microphone C2S15896

This is the microphone I installed in the overhead console.

On Ebay for $90.47

Old 06-27-2015, 12:53 PM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was told that the new type microphone would work in my 2005 XJR. There is even a bulletin stating that the original overhead console mic was being phased out for this newer ouside-the- overhead console mic. When looking for the female socket for the male plug on the mic, there does not seem to be one. The only connector that is a female is the center overhead console mic connector. Does anyone have any idea where the new version of the mic plugs in? It would make sense that it is near the overhead console, but I am not seeing or feeling a line up there. Part number for the mic is C2C29785SEL.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hello

I have a 2005 x type with standard bluetooth installed but the mic doesn't work for calls, if I was to bridge the connections shown in the earlier picture would that solve my problem? Many thanks

Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,797 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew hill
I have a 2005 x type with standard bluetooth installed but the mic doesn't work for calls, if I was to bridge the connections shown in the earlier picture would that solve my problem? Many thanks
Welcome to the forum Matthew,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Matthew,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Cheers graham I have done now pal

Quick Reply: Updated OEM Bluetooth Upgrade