XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Missing audio / radio volume control knob on Jaguar XK - replacement - RESOLVED

Old 12-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Missing audio / radio volume control knob on Jaguar XK - replacement - RESOLVED

Hey guys,
I ended up buying a second xkr this past week. Issue I'm having is I bought it from Florida and I live ny so I didn't have a chance to inspect the car. The dealership is an as is dealership and the car arrived today with no knob on the volume control. Is this a buy able or replaceable item? Or am I screwed to deal with this?

Old 12-27-2015, 02:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,759 Likes on 12,148 Posts

It's not listed in the Jaguar Parts Catalogue as a separate item.

Several members across different model tech forums have come up against this same issue so I'll leave it here in General Tech Help for ideas on alternative solutions to the OE control knob.

If you're really lucky, and XK owning member with a 3D printer will step up and make you one!

Graham

Old 01-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Default OEM compatible volume knob 13 xkr

Does anyone by chance know how I could get my hands on an oem or compatible volume knob that would fit the stereo of a current xkr. The dealer (Off Lease Only) who I bought the car from. Sent me a knob since the car was shipped missing one. But it is completely wrong and doesn't fit. My jag dealer said jaguar doesn't sell the knob it's self I have to buy the whole stereo face. Would they have it any other way? Lol

Old 01-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Do you mean the on/off *** . I would call the dealer and tell them to get me one or they can take the car back and return my money.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Well its an on off knob and it's a volume knob I suppose. This is a true pain none the less. They say it was on the car when it shipped from west Palm Beach florida. I may have to hope I can find a wrecked newer xkr is some junkyard somewhere and snag one. That's if jaguar ever rewrites the software for my control module that they fried when it went in for the back up lights recall update

Old 01-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I am confused, you say that the dealer sent you a car without a knob, why are you involved at ll in trying to locate one and not the dealership? I'm confounded why you'd make this a "you" problem? I've run across similar situations before and was told to "go find the part and we'll pay for it" - I said "no you can and if it's not taken care of in a quick and timely fashion you may have your product back". Don't let them get away with being lazy and you getting frustrated trying to pick up their mistake here. Jaguar can get that product even if it doesn't show on a parts list MUCH easier than you can. Problems don't fix themselves so if you want this done let them know what you expect and when you expect it to be done... let the dealership take it from a car on their lot instead of you now having "drama".

Old 01-21-2016, 04:12 PM

I should've clarified more. I bought this xkr from a car dealer who buys lease trade in cars. They said a knob was on the car when it was shipped up from Florida to ny. When I received the car, the knob wasn't there. They just sent me a knob off another jag on their lot when I complained but it didn't fit. My actual jaguar/range rover dealer here in Albany told me the part isn't sold separately. Only as part of a stereo. I guess I could keep bothering them until they take the right knob off the right jaguar on their lot assuming they have one

Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

You were clear - what I'm not clear about again is why you choose to make it a "you" problem? It is between the dealership and the shipping company period. This should not become your drama. State to the dealership, the company whom you sent your money to, what you expect and when you expect it by let them do the work to make it happen. They have the ability to source it from the mfg who makes the knob, they have other Jags to poach it from, etc you don't have the resources to do that nor is it your responsibility unless YOU make it so.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

I would take a look at the inspection checklist that the shipper did before he loaded the car to see if it was listed as missing. You should be able to get a knob off of a wreck somewhere but I would press the seller to get you one. I had a problem where safelite damaged the trim on my wife's old Volvo and because it was NLA they said they couldn't find one. I contacted their main office and pressed them to find on. The got a almost new set from Europe and shipped them over here and installed them. You gotta push.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:35 PM

I appreciate your aggressive attitude Leeper. It's convinced me to be more assertive about this situation. I already have enough to deal with concerning Jaguar themselves and taking their sweet *** time rewriting the corrupted software they sent my dealer to update my car for a recall that hadn't even affected my car

Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SalsaCat83
I appreciate your aggressive attitude Leeper. It's convinced me to be more assertive about this situation. I already have enough to deal with concerning Jaguar themselves and taking their sweet *** time rewriting the corrupted software they sent my dealer to update my car for a recall that hadn't even affected my car
You are using Albany Jag. I have used them too, so far so good. Plan to get a service there in a few months as the weather breaks

Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 PM

Capital luxury cars is a great dealership. Great service team. I certainly don't blame them for the software mishap either. If they sold their cars at a fair price I'd consider buying my vehicles from them

Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Offlease is a monster operation, I have been to a couple of their lots and man do they have a lot of cars!!! I have a couple of friends who have bought cars from them and had no issues. But they are close enough to pick up the cars and resolve such things immediately.

I don't have an answer for you but I had the same situation when I bought my car. Fortunately for me I bought it from a local dealer. When they had their detailer clean the car for my pickup I got in the car to take possession, the volume knob was missing. The detailer used a compressed air gun to blow out the crevices, evidently the volume knob pops out pretty easy. I refused delivery until they got me a knob.

I hope you get it resolved.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

My first thought, perhaps, it's under a seat, or, wedge between the seat and console?

Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Me, I'd make a custom knob out of aluminum or something similar, then polish or wrap it with something. Why go stock when DIY is cooler and cheaper?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing audio / radio volume knob on Jaguar XK - RESOLVED

I am missing the audio (on/off volume) knob for my factory audio system in my 2007 Jaguar XK convertible. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or compatible knob (that will fit). Jaguar parts department has not been able to get me a part number or any help. They say I can replace the entire audio system. All I want is the volume knob. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I don't know if the knob is sold separately. It seems to be part of the entire Radio/Nav control panel. Look at this one on ebay Jaguar XK - Radio/nav/Dash control panel - 2009 XK - 9w83-18c858-BA | eBay

I don't think you will find anybody willing to break up the parts. How about you just make one? Get a small piece of wood, use a Dremel to shape it and paint it black.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 07-16-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

You won't like this, but I went to my local Lowes and perused the 100's of tubes in the glue displays until I found one with a cap that looked like it would work. I filled the cap almost full of JB Weld and stuck it on. That's the navigation power switch on my 2004.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Or visit a salvage yard to see if they have one where the radio/nav panel was damaged and not worth resale.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

3D Printer. If you can make a sketch I would do a Solidworks model that you can have someone print. I tried pulling my knob off to make the sketch but it does not want to come off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing audio / radio volume control knob on Jaguar XK - replacement - RESOLVED